Reasons we will beat Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

This
Absolutely true. Love this analogy. It is a free hit.
You swing and miss, you gave it a red hot go.
You swing and it comes off the middle of the bat, you get a Grand Final appearance.

I want us to leave blood and body parts on the mcg this week from competing so hard and want the boys to cry if they win or lose!

If we can get to three quarter time around the mark then the last will be a free for all. If that's the case then form counts for nothing, it will be who has the momentum who has the most rotations who has the stamina. Hawthorn haven't played for two weeks so this could be where there weeks rest kicks in but I would also think we had our weeks rest against Sydney and the first half against Freo. We should be reasonably fresh in the last quarter so this will be our golden op to grab the game by the balls and pile the pressure on by attacking at all costs and peppering our forward line. Tippet can capitalize on the focus being on Walker so I would expect this would be a good time for his form to turn around.

Of course this all relies on a lot of things going our way early so I'm not putting my house on it.

Pffttt..... What's with all the negativity around this place???? Its not a "Well smack Hawthorn by 10 goals and then win the GF in a canter thread" :rolleyes: Its a "Reasons why we can beat Hawthorn" thread, why not add some positivity around here and add some reasons why we can win!!!! Get amongst it Jenny!!!!!

BZZZZTTTTTTT..... Incorrect. It is a thread that says "...we WILL beat Hawthorn"

1. Pressure off = Could mean you are flat, just as easily as it means you will be able to play the game on your terms. We have had Collingwood, West Coast and Sydney all try to play the game on their terms over the last 3 games and none of them could do it long enought to stop us getting the wins. I am sure you will be able to do it but I don't think their is any team that can do it long enough if we are committed to what we do.

2. Sam Jacobs = He is a great ruckman and we do not have a ruckman of that calibre. What we do have is 2 things. A pair of ruckman that have performed well against rucks like Mumford, Jolly and Coxanui as well as a group of Mids that manage to win the learance numbers more often than not, even with our below par rucks. Roughy also gives us another clearance mid when the ball comes to ground.

3. Tex Walker = He is in great form but this is the same as any other team with tall forwards. Our team manages to nulify them more often than not. When I say nulify them, I mean to the extent that our team still allows us to score more than the opposition. Even when the big forwards get on top of us.

I don't think it will be a blow out but the only way I can see you guys heading us is if you get a big jump on us (about 5 or so goals). That will maks for a very interesting game. Best of luck, here is hoping for a great game and no injuries.

The pressure is off. No-one expects us to win. Hopefully this could play into our hands.

Hawthorn might be good but they are beatable. We should be reviewing the Richmond game and the 1st Sydney game this week to see how we can break them down.

All I really want is for us to give it everything, the rest will sort itself out. If we still come up short so be it, at least we can hold our heads up high.

Review the Tiggies game all you want, all you will find is a Hawks outfit that did not turn up to play. No intensity, no desperation. If you review that game and expect that Hawthorn to show up then you WILL be absolutely smashed off the park.

Review the Tiggies game all you want, all you will find is a Hawks outfit that did not turn up to play. No intensity, no desperation. If you review that game and expect that Hawthorn to show up then you WILL be absolutely smashed off the park.

Losses dont count if " you dont turn up to play?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

Not at all, just saying if that is the Hawthorn you are expecting to play against then you could be in for a very rude shock. I know, from your previous post, that you think we are being very arrogant and my post may have rubbed you up the wrong way. We have played completely differently to that Tiggers game for the remainder of the season. This is evidenced by the fact that after the Tigers game we went 12 - 1. We were 5 - 4 prior to that game.

Not at all, just saying if that is the Hawthorn you are expecting to play against then you could be in for a very rude shock. I know, from your previous post, that you think we are being very arrogant and my post may have rubbed you up the wrong way. We have played completely differently to that Tiggers game for the remainder of the season. This is evidenced by the fact that after the Tigers game we went 12 - 1. We were 5 - 4 prior to that game.

Still shows you are beatable, but i do know what you mean, just cannot dismiss the tigers effort as due to the hawks just not giving a rats

Still shows you are beatable, but i do know what you mean, just cannot dismiss the tigers effort as due to the hawks just not giving a rats

Of course we are beatable, same as you guys. I do think that if we play to 95% of our capability for 95% of the match then we are very hard to beat. If we do not click or are not switched on then we are very vulnerable. But you would never plan for a team to be at 6-% of their best, that is planning to fail.

We can't win this because Buddy is too good. Much like the way we couldn't win the 98 grand final because Carey was too good.

Are you giving the pre match address to the players? I hope so :)

BZZZZTTTTTTT..... Incorrect. It is a thread that says "...we WILL beat Hawthorn"

1. Pressure off = Could mean you are flat, just as easily as it means you will be able to play the game on your terms. We have had Collingwood, West Coast and Sydney all try to play the game on their terms over the last 3 games and none of them could do it long enought to stop us getting the wins. I am sure you will be able to do it but I don't think their is any team that can do it long enough if we are committed to what we do.

2. Sam Jacobs = He is a great ruckman and we do not have a ruckman of that calibre. What we do have is 2 things. A pair of ruckman that have performed well against rucks like Mumford, Jolly and Coxanui as well as a group of Mids that manage to win the learance numbers more often than not, even with our below par rucks. Roughy also gives us another clearance mid when the ball comes to ground.

3. Tex Walker = He is in great form but this is the same as any other team with tall forwards. Our team manages to nulify them more often than not. When I say nulify them, I mean to the extent that our team still allows us to score more than the opposition. Even when the big forwards get on top of us.

I don't think it will be a blow out but the only way I can see you guys heading us is if you get a big jump on us (about 5 or so goals). That will maks for a very interesting game. Best of luck, here is hoping for a great game and no injuries.

The three things you say are bonuses for the Hawks are areas I can see us have an advantage in. And the areas where if things go right we can actually win.

We have played poorly this year when there is an expectation to win, and either take top spot (Against Brisbane) or win a Final. It must be part of the psyche of the playing group to fold when there is that expecatation. But we were a marginal underdog this weekend and won.

Last time we played you guys we won the clearances. And that was after an appalling final quarter where our guys dropped their bundles after seeing our forward line fall apart. We now have a couple of more mids playing good footy in Wright, Porps and VB is in some good form the last few weeks.

Taylor Walker was largely ignored last time we played Hawthorn. Now he is on fire. However Tip is in poor form. But our forward line is far more dynamic than it was last time against the Hawks, which was very Tip centric. Tip marked everything that came his way (but missed some basic set shots), your defenders struggled big time. But we (well Tip) blow the chances we had. Have to kick straight this week.

You guys struggled to contain Cloke, but the rest of Collingwood fell apart.

IMO Hawthorn's key advantage is it's forward line. I can not see us containg all of Buddy, Roughy, Cyril, Gunston Hale etc. Made even more so by Talia and Shaw out. This is where we can be blown away if Hawthorn manage a fair number of I50s. Another advantage is the Hawks run from defence. Although Guerra is out, Gibson and Shaunie could have a field day, as I still think we are suspect in our attempts to apply forward pressure. The other area is your kicking accuracy and ball movement. Best in the comp at moving the ball by foot.

These three areas the Hawks hold a massive advantage.

Remember, that's when Neil was picking the team.

Pretty confident we were all talking him up as he played, what, 8 straight games at the end of the season, and kicked 12 or 15 goals, and looked very smooth. Nobody would have cared if he left if hadn't given us a glimpse of his talent.

Only have to look at our games against north, Brisbane and swans to find similar examples for us.

If we can get to three quarter time around the mark then the last will be a free for all. If that's the case then form counts for nothing, it will be who has the momentum who has the most rotations who has the stamina.
Agree with this.
Hawthorn haven't played for two weeks so this could be where there weeks rest kicks in but I would also think we had our weeks rest against Sydney and the first half against Freo.
Sort of agree. My thought though is that we have an 8 day break. I don't believe who has had a bigger break will come into this.
We should be reasonably fresh in the last quarter so this will be our golden op to grab the game by the balls and pile the pressure on by attacking at all costs and peppering our forward line. Tippet can capitalize on the focus being on Walker so I would expect this would be a good time for his form to turn around.

Of course this all relies on a lot of things going our way early so I'm not putting my house on it.
I just hope Tippet clunks an early mark and kicks straight to instil some confidence. He really is the key to us having an advantage.

The three things you say are bonuses for the Hawks are areas I can see us have an advantage in. And the areas where if things go right we can actually win.

We have played poorly this year when there is an expectation to win, and either take top spot (Against Brisbane) or win a Final. It must be part of the psyche of the playing group to fold when there is that expecatation. But we were a marginal underdog this weekend and won.

Last time we played you guys we won the clearances. And that was after an appalling final quarter where our guys dropped their bundles after seeing our forward line fall apart. We now have a couple of more mids playing good footy in Wright, Porps and VB is in some good form the last few weeks.

Taylor Walker was largely ignored last time we played Hawthorn. Now he is on fire. However Tip is in poor form. But our forward line is far more dynamic than it was last time against the Hawks, which was very Tip centric. Tip marked everything that came his way (but missed some basic set shots), your defenders struggled big time. But we (well Tip) blow the chances we had. Have to kick straight this week.

You guys struggled to contain Cloke, but the rest of Collingwood fell apart.

IMO Hawthorn's key advantage is it's forward line. I can not see us containg all of Buddy, Roughy, Cyril, Gunston Hale etc. Made even more so by Talia and Shaw out. This is where we can be blown away if Hawthorn manage a fair number of I50s. Another advantage is the Hawks run from defence. Although Guerra is out, Gibson and Shaunie could have a field day, as I still think we are suspect in our attempts to apply forward pressure. The other area is your kicking accuracy and ball movement. Best in the comp at moving the ball by foot.

These three areas the Hawks hold a massive advantage.

Yeah, there are to many scenarios that could go back and forth. mitchell was well out of form, as was Sewell when we played you guys last time. A that stage we were ranked 11th or so for clearances and we are now on top of clearances so I don't think your forward line will get the same supply this time. Much of this has come on the back of the form of Mitch and Sewell. I think Mitch had 20 and Sewell 15 last time we played. You guys did blow your chances in front of goal, that is for sure.

I dont know that I would be happy with the psyche of the team if I was a Crows supporter, if that is the case what happens if you get 25 points up and are expected to win from there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back