Secondary ATAR results

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
what people don't realise is that uni is completely different to school, i have a lot of friends that only just squeezed through and are know getting distinctions at uni, and friends who got high 90's who are now struggling and not understanding a thing. actually pretty enjoyable watching the people that got super arrogant after blitzing year 12 only to then be crushed when they realised how different everything becomes....
This. I enjoyed two subjects at high school – the two that come in handy with uni. The other two I simply didn't care for, or about. It dragged down my score, but I'm on a distinction average. My other mate was/is exactly the same.

Cheers mate. My school emphasizes on the importance of an ATAR score regularly, always saying that getting a job is something to worry about after. Its still important I guess, just not as important as most think (especially my school).
Just remember this: Teaching requires an extremely low mark to get into. They're the wash ups. They're usually really narrow minded, love the fawning turds, and are just generally boring arseholes.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
i think it's also important to find the balance between something you're passionate about and a field that has jobs and can sustain you

too many people follow passion completely and end up with a fine arts degree and cant find a job

but the other side of that, which is hardly ever talked about, is the kids that go into a field purely because it has jobs and money and they know they'll be able to live off it (most commerce kids). end up hating it and dropping out after a year

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
i think it's also important to find the balance between something you're passionate about and a field that has jobs and can sustain you

too many people follow passion completely and end up with a fine arts degree and cant find a job

but the other side of that, which is hardly ever talked about, is the kids that go into a field purely because it has jobs and money and they know they'll be able to live off it (most commerce kids). end up hating it and dropping out after a year
Yeah, this is true.

Commerce has so many drop outs and uninterested kids. It's seen as a safe option, or some miracle degree that just gets you a good living as soon as you stop your education. It's also the most boring shite ever.

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, this is true.

Commerce has so many drop outs and uninterested kids. It's seen as a safe option, or some miracle degree that just gets you a good living as soon as you stop your education. It's also the most boring shite ever.

Plan to do a double degree of Law/Commerce next year. Have been thoroughly enjoying Business Management this year and have only dropped around 7 out of 200 marks available over SACs this year. What has made it boring/shite for you?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't really know, some people are just predisposed to certain subjects. I never liked maths or economics or anything, but I love the arts/humanities. I just had no interest in economics, it's the way I am.

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Commerce is boring as s**t except for Eco. Eco's awesome.

Don't do accounting - practically a life sentence of boring crap

Sep 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Blackburn Rovers
Commerce is boring as s**t except for Eco. Eco's awesome.

Don't do accounting - practically a life sentence of boring crap

Bit harsh mate, accountings not for everyone but I'm most of the way through my first year and still enjoying it, with the exception of auditing side of it of course. Combine it with finance and it picks up a bit too :thumbsu:

I don't really know, some people are just predisposed to certain subjects. I never liked maths or economics or anything, but I love the arts/humanities. I just had no interest in economics, it's the way I am.

I'd advise to at least try commerce because it covers quite a broad range of areas, if your into arts/humanities marketing and management might be the way to go rather than the conventional math-based subjects, its still fairly easy to find work and is apparently pretty good from those I know planning to major in it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Haha, I'm in my first year of uni, doing arts... I absolutely hated economics, why would I consider doing it again? And even if I were in school, why suggest commerce when I've said I hate it?

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bit harsh mate, accountings not for everyone but I'm most of the way through my first year and still enjoying it, with the exception of auditing side of it of course. Combine it with finance and it picks up a bit too :thumbsu:
It definitely has merits in terms of a career, I just didn't like the repetition and lack of room for critical thinking - gave it up after first semester this year, but if someone enjoys it then its a great option.

Personally I love maths and everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I guess when it comes down to it you have to do what you enjoy personally and not do what others think you should

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Plan to do a double degree of Law/Commerce next year. Have been thoroughly enjoying Business Management this year and have only dropped around 7 out of 200 marks available over SACs this year. What has made it boring/shite for you?

I'm doing that dbl degree now (1st year). Finding it pretty cruisy at the moment, cramming has served me well thus far. ;)

Definitely try it out if you can get the marks.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance

oh no a lot of people really love it, blitz it and enjoy every second of it

but there are a lot of people that do commerce because they just want an office job and a salary. but if you've found what you really enjoy then congrats

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
Hardly did anything in year 12 (except math methods cause I was close to failing) and got an Atar of 80. If you go to a decent school 80+ is pretty much a given.

i went to one of the top schools in WA and I know tons of people that didn't make the cut? I had to work my arse off?

going to a decent school definitely does help but by no means can everyone that goes to a top school cruise and still get 80

Probably a dumb comment on my part then.

I do think 80+ is pretty easy without doing much work at home, just working hard in class and during free periods.

Having said that, there are a lot more factors that go into your final year than that, such as what comes naturally to you, the subjects you're doing and how you think during exams, what else is going on in your life etc. Some people even just think about what they've done at school in their head a few times and it becomes ingrained in their brain.

I did have a pretty good memory for the type of questions that get asked on exams, which helped me out a lot.

Hand

Don't think, Do.
May 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
When I did VCE I think the scaling was dependent on the mean score amongst the class during the year, and then the state for the end of year exams.

For example, if I recall the average score for Business across Victoria was 70.. I got 80 as a raw score, so my scaled score was put up a few marks. I'm awful at English, and got 6 marks below average, which brought my scaled score well below my raw score. For P.E, I was way above average, as well as Biology. That made my scaled score much higher than my raw score.

But some subjects scale higher than others. In 2011 for my cohort I think Economics, Chemistry, Maths Ext. and English Advanced (none of which I did) scaled the highest. Which was s**t, haha. Still got a half-decent ATAR, considering I spent my free periods playing Dolphin Olympics 2, and didn't do enough homework.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it changes every year, but where can I find the scaling for each subject? (WACE)
Impossible to work out. Like, it's just dependent on so many variables, some of which aren't known until the exams are marked.

Don't worry about externalities and things like scaling. Do your best and realise that anything else is out of your control.

Aug 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can anybody who done Business Management 3&4 tell me if it's good or worth it? Does it scale down? I'm doing 1 and 2 this year and even though I find the work easy and averaging B+'s/A's I'm just not interested in it as I was earlier this year. I've been much more enjoying Media and want to do something in either I.T or Media. Earlier this year I picked my subjects for next year; I.T, Media, BM (Maths, English etc...). I picked BM just incase as a back-up if I change my mind, but I want to swap it with VET Media (currently doing that this year aswell and enjoying it), but I can only pick one. VET Media or BM3&4?

Thanks.

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Can anybody who done Business Management 3&4 tell me if it's good or worth it? Does it scale down? I'm doing 1 and 2 this year and even though I find the work easy and averaging B+'s/A's I'm just not interested in it as I was earlier this year. I've been much more enjoying Media and want to do something in either I.T or Media. Earlier this year I picked my subjects for next year; I.T, Media, BM (Maths, English etc...). I picked BM just incase as a back-up if I change my mind, but I want to swap it with VET Media (currently doing that this year aswell and enjoying it), but I can only pick one. VET Media or BM3&4?

Thanks.
It's an absolute borefest for the entire year but if you do some half decent study before the exam and at least keep up with it during the year it's an easy 40+. 45+ if you do some proper study, a few praccy exams. But yeah, absolute wank of a subject.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anybody who done Business Management 3&4 tell me if it's good or worth it?...I find the work easy and averaging B+'s/A's I'm just not interested in it as I was earlier this year. I've been much more enjoying Media and want to do something in either I.T or Media. Earlier this year I picked my subjects for next year; I.T, Media, BM (Maths, English etc...). I picked BM just incase as a back-up if I change my mind,...VET Media or BM3&4?

Do the subjects which you enjoy the most, thus increasing the chances of actually "learning" something throughout the year.

These are the subjects you may be likely to pursue in the future. Some background information on a subject (eg. main principles) can come in handy during first year Uni.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
It's an absolute borefest for the entire year but if you do some half decent study before the exam and at least keep up with it during the year it's an easy 40+. 45+ if you do some proper study, a few praccy exams. But yeah, absolute wank of a subject.

Definity not an easy 40+ or 45+ if you do not enjoy it. If you go to a private school or top public however, then you can get away with not liking it (cohort scaling).

At just your 'run-of-the-mill' public school, the safest bets are the subjects you enjoy the most IMO.

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Definity not an easy 40+ or 45+ if you do not enjoy it. If you go to a private school or top public however, then you can get away with not liking it (cohort scaling).
So THATS how so many people got higher scores. Some people I've met at uni this year are some of the least intelligent people I know, yet somehow got mid 80s for there ATAR. One particular person I know thinks that the Gold Rush was in the 90s and that parachutes make you fly, yet she got an 84 ATAR and went to a private school..

Business is a relatively easy subject if you're good with theory. It involves a lot of remembering definitions and then applying them to cases, so it's not that bad. I got straight A+s for it. But it may also depend on who your teacher is, mine made it pretty enjoyable and I'm now doing it at uni.

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can anybody who done Business Management 3&4 tell me if it's good or worth it? Does it scale down? I'm doing 1 and 2 this year and even though I find the work easy and averaging B+'s/A's I'm just not interested in it as I was earlier this year. I've been much more enjoying Media and want to do something in either I.T or Media.
Don't do it if you don't like it.

I did it as a bludge, nailed all the SACS but didn't study for the exam, ended up getting marked down 405 but didn't care as it was my bottom subject.

Do IT - easiest ******* thing ever

Back