Expansion Wellington Based Club ?? For Sure !!

Remove this Banner Ad

As ridiculous as it sounds, China isn't the worst option. They have a massive population who haven't really endeared themselves to any "western" sports. They got 8,000 to an exhibition game in Shanghai a few years back. Even if the AFL was to carve out a niche following of 1% of the population that is absolutely massive in china

Certainly has merit but would think it would be more a case of having regular games over there for the next 3-5 years and if the interest is still strong develop academies and then from there either look at relocating a team or starting one from scratch. But certainly the signs look good so far:

They're starting with youth - 95 per cent of the 30,000 registered participants are five to 12-year-olds.The game has found a home on free-to-air TV - a new channel is showing six games live a week - and the first AFL match for premiership points will be played in Wellington on Thursday, Anzac Day.

They're giving it a real crack across the ditch.

Pathways for talented teens are also being forged - a South Pacific side plays in the under-16 Australian national championships and the AFL held its second New Zealand combine in Wellington in January.

Melbourne spotted Maia Westrupp, a 187cm New Zealand volleyball representative, at the combine and signed him as an international scholarship holder.

Hawthorn already has New Zealanders Shem Tatupu and Kurt Heatherley on international scholarships.

"The beauty of AFL is the product is so good," Vanstam said. "People play it and they enjoy playing it, that's the strength of it."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...-out-of-football/story-e6frg1xu-1226625464110

That was a one off game. The AFL should give them this game for the next 3 years and see if it continues with the same crowd attendance, lowers or even increases. Also the AFL has to consider the amount of people who watched on TV in New Zealand. If nobody watches then the team will get no sponsership money.

Whilst this game in Wellington tonight is being played under the guise of an Anzac Day clash, nothing could be surer than it's a trial of whether there is a market over there for our game.

Based on there being around 16K at what is being described as a "purpose built" AFL stadium, the answer is 'yes'.

The AFL is keen to build the number of teams it has and given that there is already a NZ team in the NRL, you know it's only a matter of time before we have our first international club - Wellington FC here come !!

Just not sure what their logo will be ...........
Gillon McLachlan said the game was to get 35.000 during the press conference when the game was announced. So no. No Wellington based club.

What came first - the oval or AFL?

The cake tin came first. For some reason the AFL suggested the design of the stadium should allow the the playing of Australian Football and for some reason Wellington was receptive.
Now Wellington are asking for an AFL team.
That's fantastic but the team still has to be viable.
The AFL will be noting how many Kiwikickers continue onto community football, how attendances fare etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cake tin came first. For some reason the AFL suggested the design of the stadium should allow the the playing of Australian Football and for some reason Wellington was receptive.
Now Wellington are asking for an AFL team.
That's fantastic but the team still has to be viable.
The AFL will be noting how many Kiwikickers continue onto community football, how attendances fare etc etc.

Feedback on Saints forum this morning, is that:

..............the atmosphere was electric, was as noisy as Etihad and the exciting thing is talk back radio has been full of new Saints fans all morning here!!! The NZ PM was also quoted today saying that the Govt tourism board is keen to come on board as Saints sponsors, now that would be mega bucks ala Tasmania.
If I had to describe Wellington, I would describe it as a similar town in size to Canberra with a similar population, and you cant imagine 23,000 turning up to an AFL game in Canberra.
AFL rules the roost in terms of spectator experience.

Not what I heard and not what I saw

I heard it's slightly longer than the SCG and just as wide as Docklands.

It looked bigger than the SCG regardless, no way is it smaller than that

Heard on Triple M this morning that the Ground was 10m shorter than SCG and 20m Thinner.

Sounds like a bloody small ground. Would definately require an upgrade to be bigger (as close to MCG Size as practicable).

Heard on Triple M this morning that the Ground was 10m shorter than SCG and 20m Thinner.

Sounds like a bloody small ground. Would definately require an upgrade to be bigger (as close to MCG Size as practicable).

I've heard various reports on the size of the ground and the most reliable said it was virtually the same size as the Docklands. No way is it shorter 10m than the SCG.

Wuth theer beckground un rugby I thunk plinty of Kiwi fens were more then a but beffled by some of teh tectucs und stretegies on dusplay, but overall I thunk the consinsus was thet Aussie Rules us en uncridibly ethletuc und ecrobetuc spictecle.

What an authentic South African accent you have there ........... :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back