Club History Which club is Sydney's biggest rival?

Sydney's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a more telling list would be which opposition clubs think we are their greatest rivals.

Probably wouldn't be a very long list.

....But North were THE villains for a good decade there....
I agree, I think over the journey it's been North Melbourne. Lot of bad blood from back in their expansionist days in NSW. North have since looked further afield.

Mind you Eddie's doing his level best to make it Collingwood.

By contrast, our best friends would be Geelong and Brisbane.

They hate Essendon even more and then there is their hate for Geelong. We are a passing interest

I can understand Essendon but IMO they don't hate Geelong more. They would most likely say there is some sort of respect there. They have none for us, we don't lose sleep over that though.

I can understand Essendon but IMO they don't hate Geelong more. They would most likely say there is some sort of respect there. They have none for us, we don't lose sleep over that though.

The bitch fighting between the two sets of fans on here still continues. I also take into account real life and was witness/part of burning of Geelong scarfs and 07-08 Back-Back T-Shirts that were left behind after the 08 Grand Final and also know how much hurt the Kennett curse had on them.

We don't really have a traditional rival, but I voted Hawthorn just because at the end of this round it will likely be Hawthorn and Sydney as 1 and 2 on the ladder.

Don't hate them though because they are a great club/team and I don't let my opinion of a club's Bigfooty supporters influence my views on their general fan base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But North were THE villains for a good decade there. Carey. Beating us in 96. Playing home games at the scg. Every game against them was fantastic.

There's a part of me that will never forgive North fans for celebrating their 40pt comeback at the SCG as one of their greatest ever wins when we had poor Wally Jackson dying on the sidelines that day.
"THE villains." I've never really heard anyone refer to poor old harmless North like that. ;)

Carey? Sure, not many people liked him. Had a look of pure arrogance about him. 1996 would have hurt no doubt, but surely no more than 98 hurt us, and we don't hold it against the Crows.

I wouldn't take us playing home games at the SCG personally. Basically we just needed to make a buck. It's not like we were trying to take over Sydney or anything. We've sold home games to various places interstate.

What happened the night of that 40 point comeback on the Swans sideline was tragically unfortunate. However you can't begrudge North fans for celebrating what was a remarkable comeback. I was 10 years old at the time and to that point it was the best North win I had witnessed. When I found out about the accident at the time I told myself (In a purely football sense) that it would have inspired Sydney to win for him. Obviously as the dust settled I realised that in fact it indeed would have been a harmful and unpleasant distraction to the Sydney team. In a purely football sense though, it was one of the great moments in recent North Melbourne history.

All told though, there have indeed been some good matches between our clubs over the years.

I wouldn't take us playing home games at the SCG personally. Basically we just needed to make a buck. It's not like we were trying to take over Sydney or anything. We've sold home games to various places interstate.

We did take it personally because North at that time thought it was so simple as flying, playing a game with Wayne Carey and flying home and they would draw a crowd. By all means turn a quick buck, but don't access the ticketing database from our home final in 1998 against St Kilda and then send a membership form to those living in Melbourne with the words "Support a real club" and a photo of Carey and Pagan holding the 1996 Cup up. Pity most of those forms went to Saints fans. But worst of all was the hiring of people to wear Swans scarfs and t-shirts to handout North "Sydney" membership forms outside the SCG when North weren't playing. This stuff went on because your club thought there was a quick buck to be made and that you could change "those turncoats up North".

Thus the reason you have whored yourselves out to Canberra, the Gold Coast and now Hobart and mostly failed is because you are just in it for the money and not interested in the community and the community has always turned their backs on you.

What happened the night of that 40 point comeback on the Swans sideline was tragically unfortunate. However you can't begrudge North fans for celebrating what was a remarkable comeback. I was 10 years old at the time and to that point it was the best North win I had witnessed. When I found out about the accident at the time I told myself (In a purely football sense) that it would have inspired Sydney to win for him. Obviously as the dust settled I realised that in fact it indeed would have been a harmful and unpleasant distraction to the Sydney team. In a purely football sense though, it was one of the great moments in recent North Melbourne history.

At least 10 of our players that night saw Wally Jackson have urgent CPR undertaken on him. Jason Ball couldn't return to the field because of what he had seen and the North bench knew about it as your club Doctor helped out, so he knew the effect it had on the players who saw it. We aren't upset that you won, we are upset at how your club and players behaved on the field after the game knowing what taken place on our bench and seeing the state of half our team. It wouldn't of been too hard for your coaches and bench staff to get word to quickly to the team to calm down in respect to what had taken place and that the result was influenced because of it.

Nice outline Robbie. These are things not easily forgotten. We will always want to beat North.

As for Carey, he's going ok in the media these days, but as a player, I doubt he'd have fitted into 'Bloods culture' and no loss to our club.

Nice outline Robbie. These are things not easily forgotten. We will always want to beat North.

As for Carey, he's going ok in the media these days, but as a player, I doubt he'd have fitted into 'Bloods culture' and no loss to our club.
Seriously? Sure Cary was a flog, but he would have fit in at any club. He was just that good.

Is that the same 'bloods culture' that welcomed the likes of Adam Heuskas?

Seriously? Sure Cary was a flog, but he would have fit in at any club. He was just that good.

Pretty sure having affairs with your teammates' wives wouldn't get leadership group approval.

I think Sydney was high on Carey's list of options post North. But the negative reaction up here was pretty strong and he backtracked pretty quickly into the Adel gig. So to answer you I'd say no, he had no way of fitting in up here.

Pretty sure having affairs with your teammates' wives wouldn't get leadership group approval.

I think Sydney was high on Carey's list of options post North. But the negative reaction up here was pretty strong and he backtracked pretty quickly into the Adel gig. So to answer you I'd say no, he had no way of fitting in up here.
Fair enough after the whole affair episode. A club wouldn't be too bright to bring him in after that. But that happened when he was passed his prime. At his peak he would have made any club better.

And was there any indication of his stupid behaviour prior to us drafting him? Bit rich to say we welcomed him when i doubt we knew he would cause so much trouble, most likely the reason we got rid after 3 seasons despite being a decent player.

And was there any indication of his stupid behaviour prior to us drafting him? Bit rich to say we welcomed him when i doubt we knew he would cause so much trouble, most likely the reason we got rid after 3 seasons despite being a decent player.

Apparently he was AA for port the year we traded him. Is that right?

What happened the night of that 40 point comeback on the Swans sideline was tragically unfortunate. However you can't begrudge North fans for celebrating what was a remarkable comeback.
I can't bregrudge fans of an opposition club celebrating a win off the back of the death of a club stalwart? Aaare you ******* kidding?

I can't bregrudge fans of an opposition club celebrating a win off the back of the death of a club stalwart? Aaare you ******* kidding?
Well for one, the supporters didn't know of the incident while it was happening (especially the one's not at the ground). I certainly was unaware of it.

Regardless of the details, it was a stirring win. A tragic and unfortunate incident yes, but on the surface a great win.

Back