Another alleged racial abuse incident, this time at Buddy Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

Since I moved to Central Queensland a couple of years ago I have been shocked at the level of racism that there is up here, especially amongst the older generation. They think nothing of using terms such as 'coon', 'black fellas' and 'boongs'. It's engrained in their psyche. I have spoken up a couple of times but it's futile. The older ones aren't going to change. We can only hope we can educate the younger generation that it's not acceptable.

They aren't gonna change, I agree, but they still need a whack when the opportunity presents itself.

Good on you for speaking up. The vast majority wouldn't.

so....the guy was ejected based on what other people said?
seems fraught with danger

Calling it early, "members of the public" for 2015 Australians of the Year. :thumbsu:

Actually, this kind of follow-on effect and change in attitude by "members of the public" is partly a result of Goodes' courage. Therefore, he deserves his title.

Not acceptable from anyone at any age, however you can kinda understand a man of his age having backward views.
It would be ingrained in his psyche, even though its undefendable and utterly wrong.

Id be more worried about younger people still participating in this kind of behaviour.
With the media, internet etc the way it is these days, theres no excuse for narrow minded attitudes.

Interesting view, and now that I think about it, I agree with you.

Racist attitudes should be punished more strongly on the young than the old, so future generations will be living in a better world. To a degree, it would be harsh to treat young and old as equals on this matter - they're not.

Yes, kick him out of the arena, and educate him, but don't ban an elderly man for life.

Essentially, we have to tolerate racist elderly people and focus more on ensuring today's youth adopt fairer thinking from a young age so it does not become entrenched in their psyche. It's impossible to completely eradicate racist thinking from the elderly, you can only reduce it mildly if you're lucky and we should mostly aim to reduce his/her willingness to open their mouth. This is a different goal to the young, as we wish to get them to have genuinely fair thoughts, not just to hold back their thoughts.

Apologises for the careless manner of explaining myself, I could go into detail if someone has a problem with this (and there's always someone who doesn't get it).

Actually, this kind of follow-on effect and change in attitude by "members of the public" is partly a result of Goodes' courage. Therefore, he deserves his title.

Interesting view, and now that I think about it, I agree with you.

Racist attitudes should be punished more strongly on the young than the old, so future generations will be living in a better world. To a degree, it would be harsh to treat young and old as equals on this matter - they're not.

Yes, kick him out of the arena, and educate him, but don't ban an elderly man for life.

Essentially, we have to tolerate racist elderly people and focus more on ensuring today's youth adopt fairer thinking from a young age so it does not become entrenched in their psyche. It's impossible to completely eradicate racist thinking from the elderly, you can only reduce it mildly and we should aim to reduce his/her willingness to open their mouth. This is a different goal to the young, as we wish to get them to have genuinely fair thoughts, not just to hold back their thoughts.

Apologises for the careless manner of explaining myself, I could go into detail if someone has a problem with this (and there's always someone who doesn't get it).

Yeah I had trouble putting it into words that indicated that I wasnt defending him, but still see the generational difference in racist attitudes.

I think my sister was one of those who complained... At least she had a reference to something like this on her Facebook yesterday.

And my kids reaction: "Buddy Franklin? Isn't he white?"

This whole ape=racist thing still seems to be a recent thing. To me calling someone an ape is more about big and ugly than anything else. If this bloke was 70 then I'm sure he knows some more clearly racist words he could have used instead.

This whole ape=racist thing still seems to be a recent thing. To me calling someone an ape is more about big and ugly than anything else. If this bloke was 70 then I'm sure he knows some more clearly racist words he could have used instead.

Or he was just a racist old man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That being said surely after the Goodes incident last year, you'd realise ape is now off the table in terms of abusing indigenous players.

Just because it's recent in terms of public knowledge in Australia, doesn't mean it's recent at all.

I think he said he drives like an ape.
If he did say that then it is disgraceful that he had pc brigade complain over his comment. I'm sure no one bothered complaining the same way when milne got called therapist or even more directly a rapist by crowd members as an example. Pretty sure he has made a pretty fair comment as I am really unsure whether an APE would drive much better than Buddy when he had hit those cars.

That being said surely after the Goodes incident last year, you'd realise ape is now off the table in terms of abusing indigenous players.
You'd think so but it's not all that easy to just change your thinking. I still think "gorilla" when I see a certain type of player (regardless of their cultural heritage), I'm just smart enough not to say it aloud.

The only reason people are being quote unquote "racist" at games is because they know they'll get publicity if they do so.

No mate. It's because they're actually racist. And it keeps happening - to Goodes and Franklin and Thomas and Daw and Wallace and countless other black people at football grounds all around the country, at all levels of the game - because although we're loathe to admit it, there are still tonnes of stupid ****ing racists in this country.

And every time it happens, dickheads on this site want to make excuses for it. The usual roll call of people are already drifting into this thread with their "it's not really a big deal" posts, for about the 50th time this year, which is just ****ing hilarious.

No mate. It's because they're actually racist. And it keeps happening, to Goodes and Franklin and Thomas and Daw and Wallace and countless other black people at football ground around the country at all levels of the game, because although we're loathe to admit it, there are still tonnes of stupid ******* racists in this country.

And every time it happens, dickheads on this site want to make excuses for it.
Telling him he drives like an ape or monkey is not even remotely directly racist in the same way someone would be if they called him a boong or petrol sniffer. Driving like an ape or monkey is something that has been said and used for years in a non racist sense as comicalised in all those movies where it has been done as a joke. It is only seen as racist by some in the PC brigade who think that it is because he is black. I bet if they had made the same comment to a white player no one would've said boo.

If he did say that then it is disgraceful that he had pc brigade complain over his comment. I'm sure no one bothered complaining the same way when milne got called therapist or even more directly a rapist by crowd members as an example. Pretty sure he has made a pretty fair comment as I am really unsure whether an APE would drive much better than Buddy when he had hit those cars.

clogged was taking the piss and yet predictable you latch on to it defend someone who was clearly being a campaigner.

clogged was taking the piss and yet predictable you latch on to it defend someone who was clearly being a campaigner.
How do I know that for a fact on the internet where taking the piss or sarcasm is difficult to interpret and secondly is an unpublicised event. If he did say he drives like an ape which apparently now he did not I still stand by what I say.

Telling him he drives like an ape or monkey is not even remotely directly racist in the same way someone would be if they called him a boong or petrol sniffer. Driving like an ape or monkey is something that has been said and used for years in a non racist sense as comicalised in all those movies where it has been done as a joke. It is only seen as racist by some in the PC brigade who think that it is because he is black. I bet if they had made the same comment to a white player no one would've said boo.
There it is!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back