Opinion Lance 'Buddy' Franklin - Will he be remembered more as a Hawk or a Swan ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
With Lance playing his very likely final game at the MCG last night, it's a good time to ask this question (I actually thought someone would have made a thread about this before but i couldn't find any way then I did a search on it)

Maybe it's recency bias, but I feel like The great Buddy will be remembered more as a Swans great than a Hawthorn champion, even though he won a couple of flags at the Hawks, seems like he played most of his best footy/his prime at the Swans.
Unfortunately his crook ankle cost Sydney any chance of winning the 2016 Grand Final (he wouldn't have played if it wasn't the GF)

Just being an incredible player to watch for so long, and maybe the last 1000 career goal kicker ever (or at least for a very long time)

Both. He has played a large amount of his career at both clubs. Won more premierships at the Hawks obviously but his 1000th goal, the highlight that will be shown most often in future decades was done at the Swans. Also has 2 Coleman medals at Hawthorn, 2 at Sydney, 4 All Australians at Hawthorn and 4 at Sydney so his stats are pretty even with both clubs, at least awards wise.

Depends who's doing the remembering. If it's someone who remembers him more as a Hawk, they'll remember him more as a Hawk. If it's someone who remembers him more as a Swan, they'll remember him more as a Swan. Subscribe for more mind-expanding truths of the universe.

Depends who's doing the remembering. If it's someone who remembers him more as a Hawk, they'll remember him more as a Hawk. If it's someone who remembers him more as a Swan, they'll remember him more as a Swan. Subscribe for more mind-expanding truths of the universe.
images

Well, I'm a Hawk, so for me it will be as a Hawthorn player, but he's always been a favourite of mine even though he went to the Swans. It has annoyed me a little when I hear some people say Buddy played his best footy at Sydney. As great as he has been, he has never repeated the magnificent footy he played in 2008 when he had over 200 shots at goal.

Both.

Like Heath Shaw, went above and beyond for both their clubs.

Personally I think he played his best at the Hawks, so Hawthorn.

Saying that he still played extremely good footy at the swans but his extremely good is elite.
I don't think there is a Swans supporter who would be disappointed with what Buddy served up for them.

I think he will just be remember as a great player , sometimes depends where the player gravitates back too.

He has 2 premiership reunions to be part of at Hawthorn for instance, so may get him back there , or if he hung around Sydney and lived there .

I think of Plugger more as a swan as I am biased but he also has gotten out and helped us more. Thought been back to Stkilda a little recently , but he played way more for them.

But my short answer be he will just be a star . He did kick the 100 at hawthorn but i think his best footy was the period that crossed between the two to be honest.
Gun to my head he was better as a Hawk, his older seasons are as a swan

For me its always felt like he was injured or hampered by injury during his time at the Swans.

Sydney got the 1000th goal.. But in my biased opinion, most of the really good stuff happened at the Hawks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawk. Was a better player for them. A little bit like Judd for the Eagles was better.
I sat here for a good minute thinking about the answer ... and your reasoning is where I landed.
Where did he make his name? Where were his best highlights?

I'll remember him as a Hawk.

For me its always felt like he was injured or hampered by injury during his time at the Swans.

Sydney got the 1000th goal.. But in my biased opinion, most of the really good stuff happened at the Hawks

Not sure about that. Played 182 games for the Hawks but has played 169 games for the Swans. Will very likely finish his career having played under 10 games less for the Swans than Hawthorn.

Not sure about that. Played 182 games for the Hawks but has played 169 games for the Swans. Will very likely finish his career having played under 10 games less for the Swans than Hawthorn.
For me its very similar to Plugger.

Undoubtedly played his best football at St.Kilda clearly. Was a better athlete kicked more goals ect.

But the 2 highlights you see over and over are the point in the 96 prelim and the record braking goal.
His signing you could also argue laid the foundations for what Sydney are now

Well, I'm a Hawk, so for me it will be as a Hawthorn player, but he's always been a favourite of mine even though he went to the Swans. It has annoyed me a little when I hear some people say Buddy played his best footy at Sydney. As great as he has been, he has never repeated the magnificent footy he played in 2008 when he had over 200 shots at goal.

Yep. To me his best footy was clearly at Hawthorn. Been good at Sydney of course but he was a far more dynamic and dangerous player at Hawthorn as far as I was concerned.

Bit like Lockett, was still great at Sydney, but far better at St.Kilda.

He never put together a season as good as his 2011/12 at the Swans, let alone 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back