Toast Lance Franklin - do you remember him more as a Hawk or Swan?

Do you remember Lance Franklin more as a

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's similar to Ablett Snr, do you remember him as a Hawk or a Cat?
It's a line call really.
Ablett had more highlights in those 6 games for the Hawks than most players would for their whole careers

I can't split Buddy between these clubs, his most brilliant footy was at the Hawks but I've gotten pretty used to him in that Swans jumper where he dragged them over the line quite a few times

Buddy is Buddy, bigger than anything he might belong to

Hawk, flags, more goals per game. Yes he had the iconic 1000th goal at the Swans but that’s counterbalanced by the 100th goal for the season at the Hawks a little bit. Having said that it’s still pretty close, probably a 60/40 whereas Plugger for example was probably 70/30 Saints.

Sorry don’t know why that first post was quoted.

I meant Franklin.

Lockett came in and dominated for four and a bit years (will pretend 2002 didn’t happen)

Franklin was our spearhead for a decade. Same number of Colemans as Lockett in his time at the club, 1 more All Australian, 2 more time leading our goal kicking. Took us to three grand finals. 4x 50+ goal seasons after turning 30.

Lockett kicked 100 goals 3 times at the Swans.

Sorry don’t know why that first post was quoted.

I meant Franklin.

Lockett came in and dominated for four and a bit years (will pretend 2002 didn’t happen)

Franklin was our spearhead for a decade. Same number of Colemans as Lockett in his time at the club, 1 more All Australian, 2 more time leading our goal kicking. Took us to three grand finals. 4x 50+ goal seasons after turning 30.
Poll results indicate Franklin is remembered more as a Hawk.
Do you think Lockett is remembered more as a Saint or Swan?

Now that Buddy has retired it's a good time to reflect back on what was an amazing career.
Here's a graph of his stats at the Hawks and Swans.
View attachment 1762110
If you split his tenures as two separate careers you get two players who had very good careers.
It'll be interesting to see if he's remembered more as a Hawk or as a Swan.

Do you remember him more as a Hawk or as a Swan?
If only buddy Franklin kicked 14 more goals for the Swans. That would mean 500 goals for the swans too.

Had the swans won 2 flags from 2014-22, that would of been epic

Because it feels as though Lockett is remembered more as a Saint and Franklin is remembered more as a Hawk.
I did make a thread asking about Lockett but for some reason it's gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it feels as though Lockett is remembered more as a Saint and Franklin is remembered more as a Hawk.
I did make a thread asking about Lockett but for some reason it's gone.

I think Lockett clearly played his best football at the Saints. As a pure footballer, for football nuffs, he’s probably best remembered as a Saint.

His role in saving a dying club, and properly establishing the code in NSW is just as significant, though. It’s what him a national figure, and really cemented him in Australian sporting history.
Even if his football wasn’t quite at the same level.
I think history remembers him as a Swan.

In terms of football, I reckon Franklin made a bigger contribution to the Swans than Lockett. Like Lockett, though, he was better at his original club.
But he was still good enough to be one of the game’s, and the clubs’, stars just for his Sydney career alone.

But Franklin’s impact on the club was less than Lockett’s.
And most of his truly spectacular highlights are from his time at the Hawks.
I think, 20 years from now, Buddy in a Hawks jumper is the first image that comes to mind.

But that doesn’t mean his career at the Swans isn’t enough to make him one of our greats, too.

Last edited:
Played his best at Hawks, pretty easily too.

All his success was at the Hawks, Sydney was his retirement fund.

It's similar to Ablett Snr, do you remember him as a Hawk or a Cat?
It's a line call really.

It’s about the same for me. Same amount of success.

Cats ruined his career, could’ve been unreal in the hawks 80s dynasty side and been a legit GOAT contender. Biggest tragedy in Australian sport.

His impact across both clubs was basically the same expect the flags at hawthorn.

Will be remembered as a great of both clubs.

Played a dozen or so more matches with the Hawks, but was on the list for more years at Sydney.

A Hawker for sure.

How did he fare at Sydney? I have NFI nor can I bf googling his stats. 2008 was unbelievable.

Hawks for mine easily.
Ablett jnr cats easily suns not so much.
Judd eagles yeah blues nah
Lynch tigers over suns.
May Demons over suns.
Dangerfield cats over crows.
Hall swans over saints/dogs
Common theme win a flag be remembered more at that team.

More spectacular at Hawthorn but he became a complete footballer at Sydney and took his game to rare air between 2014-2018. He did not have the supporting cast around him as what he did at Hawthorn.
Pushed further up the ground and really honed his skills around the half forward flank.

Sydney for me.

I put "Both" but that's probably more because I'm a Swans fan than anything else. He was an absolutely magnificent player at both clubs, but his overall output at the Hawks was a touch above, so would understand people voting that way.

I'm still gutted that we didn't win a premiership with him in the red and the white. Carried us over the line with individual brilliance in so many games and without him we wouldn't have made the 2014 and 2016 Grand Finals. If we win one of those, I reckon almost everyone would've voted the Both option.

Nobody said Chris Judd was a "failure" at Carlton. The question was whether the Judd trade was a failure. The Blues got themselves a sublime clearance machine who dominated for 4 or 5 seasons and dragged his team up the ladder. But they were unable to make much of an impression in the finals. They never finished in Top 4. They played in 4 Elimination Finals: for 2 losses, 2 wins (both times eliminated 1 week later in the Semi Final.)

Not his fault, of course... He did everything within his superhuman powers... but it made people question if the trade was ultimately a win for Carlton, or a win for West Coast. The jury is still out. Fans of both teams claim it was a win for them.

The thing was, the Blues gave up a lot to get Judd... They traded picks 3 and 20 in the 2007 Draft, plus a 20 year old CHF named Josh Kennedy who was pick 4 in the 2005 Draft. He went on to have a Hall of Fame career with the Eagles, kicking 700+ goals, 3 times All Australian, captained their club and led them to a premiership in 2018.

---------------------------------------------------

Buddy was a massive success for Sydney. No two ways about it. Only a fool would say otherwise. He kicked arse. They might not have won a flag with him, but he was a HUGE drawcard. He packed out the SCG for close to a decade and was the face of AFL footy.

The Swans didn't give up anything to get him. He was a free agent.. Albeit an expensive free agent whose monster wage didn't leave the Swans a lot of wiggle room for re-signing their other stars. His controversial signing also led to the COLA being scrapped by angry AFL executives who had earmarked him to be the poster boy of their fledgling Giants.

Franklin was awesome for Sydney in 2014 and 2016 when he carried them to the Grand Final in both those seasons. The Swans had other good players, but they were midfielders and defenders. Their forwards were nothing special. Check out their goal kickers in those 2 seasons and look how Franklin carried their forward division.

2014 goals
79 Franklin
34 Tippett
30 Goodes (34yo)
25 Parker
24 McGlynn
18 Jack
17 Reid
15 McVeigh, Cunningham
14 Jetta
13 Kennedy
11 Hannebery

2016 goals
81 Franklin
29 Papley (20yo)
28 Heeney (20yo)
25 Parker
25 Rohan
24 McGlynn
20 Kennedy
18 Hewett
17 Tippett
15 Mitchell
13 Hannebery, Jack, X.Richards
10 Towers, Sinclair

Franklin kicked 160 of their 713 goals in these 2 seasons. (22.5%)
That's pretty insane for a Grand Final team in the modern era where the scoring is shared around.

The difference between Buddy at Hawthorn and Lance in Sydney was: at Hawthorn, he was a part of the greatest forward line in history. At Sydney, he was the forward line.

HF.... Gunston.... Franklin......... Rioli
F...... Puopolo.... Roughead..... Breust

Three superstars of the comp (Buddy, Roughie, Cyril), two All-Australian guns who kicked 50+ goals (Breust, Gunston), and Poppy, a livewire tackling machine who played like the Energiser Bunny. He was no slouch around goals either... very dangerous.

They weren't just supremely talented as individuals though... The way they worked together was sublime. They were so good together that when Buddy went to Sydney after the 2013 season, Hawthorn's forward line functioned even BETTER with the inside fifties distributed more evenly. Buddy had a way of always attracting the ball. Put yourselves in the shoes of any Hawks or Swans midfielder... Who wouldn't kick it to Buddy when he led out from goal?

That was always Buddy's strength. He had enormous self belief and a huge engine. He kept presenting. He was THE MAN. He wanted to win the game off his own boot. He never shied away from the responsibility of kicking the big goal. The bigger occasion, the more he wanted the ball, the more he wanted to be the hero. He never eased up. Never went into his shell when it wasn't his day. Didn't matter if he'd kicked 2.6, he would keep putting himself in position to get the next one.

Look at his highlights... All those trademark goals of this.. the famous running goals where he'd take 2,3,4 bounces.... Or those massive 65m-70m bombs he kicked... Or the crazy set shots from the left hand boundary line (again and again and again...) Or the 40m banana/checkside punts.... Or the audacious dribble kicks with his opponents hanging off him... Or when he'd crash through tackles and do a U-turn and dob it from 55m....

Other players in these situations would be looking to give the ball off to a teammate.. But not Buddy.. His only thought was "I must kick the GOAL!" .... and he did... :eek: He not only had incredible hunger for goals and supreme confidence, but he also had the supreme ability to back it up.

He had the greatest left boot of anyone in history. His field kicking or shooting for goal. The power and distance he'd get was incredible: scything laser-like 60m passes across the ground & onto a teammate's chest. Or 70m bombs for goal from inside the centre square. Drop punts, not torps.

There has never been anyone who kicked as many goals as Buddy did from outside 50m.
Love this post.

Back