Another alleged racial abuse incident, this time at Buddy Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because it's recent in terms of public knowledge in Australia, doesn't mean it's recent at all.

100% correct.

Historical background

Scientific racism in the United States was graphically promoted in a mid-19th-century book by Josiah C. Nott and George Robins Gliddon titled Types of Mankind, which used misleading illustrations to suggest that "Negroes" ranked between "Greeks" and chimpanzees. "When we have a history like that in this country, I don't know how much of that goes away completely, especially to the extent that we are still dealing with severe racial inequality, which fuels and maintains those associations in ways that people are unaware," Eberhardt said.

Although such grotesque characterizations of African Americans have largely disappeared from mainstream U.S. society, Eberhardt noted that science education could be partly responsible for reinforcing the view that blacks are less evolved than whites. An iconic 1970 illustration, "March of Progress," published in the Time-Life book Early Man, depicts evolution beginning with a chimpanzee and ending with a white man. "It's a legacy of our past that the endpoint of evolution is a white man," Eberhardt said. "I don't think it's intentional, but when people learn about human evolution, they walk away with a notion that people of African descent are closer to apes than people of European descent. When people think of a civilized person, a white man comes to mind."

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080207163811.htm

080207163811-large.jpg

Stanford University goes orright, don't it?

Of course, lay the blame before knowing the truth. Do you need to be explained the actual meaning of the word 'alleged'? I just don't understand how this can warrant a new thread when it's barely caused a whimper in the media and throughout footy circles, in fact this is the first I've heard about it.

Great idea by the OP, let's start a thread and create more talking points and discussion about an issue that is so overly publicised it's not even funny.

Aren't finals starting?

Surprise , surprise!

I've worked in country Vic and had elderly people say things like 'I really wasn't sure about the Chinese doctor (talking about their GP), didn't know about the chink but he's turned out to be great". They are praising their GP and racially slurring him at the same time they just aren't aware of it.

I think there is room to cut the elderly some slack when it comes to racism if they grew up in a different time particularly if they witness world war 2.

But that doesn't mean it isn't racism and it's still wrong. Security, especially at Etihad, will have a no tolerance policy and I guess that's the best way to stamp it out. I do wonder if the Sydney crowd were a bit high and mighty and PC in reporting an old fella for a slur not even heard by Franklin. I would've liked to think those around him would've tried to start a conversation and get an apology, if it isn't forthcoming then by all means report him and toss him out. I think it's a case of having to be there to know exactly what was said and if it was repeat abuse or just an old man not knowing any better.

I don't get the whole let's abuse a player mentality anyway, regardless of ethnicity. Only time it makes sense to me is if a player commits a dirty act during a game, then let rip a little ... like in life, it's best to hold people to account for their actions, not their backgrounds.
I don't mind making the opposition the enemy. Abusing Franklin for being a sell out, lousy driver etc etc as he kicks a bag of goals against your team. That's part of footy passion I think. I mean it's no more ridiculous than going off your tree for free kicks is it? Just no need to cross the lines on race, religion, sexuality etc.

This whole ape=racist thing still seems to be a recent thing. To me calling someone an ape is more about big and ugly than anything else. If this bloke was 70 then I'm sure he knows some more clearly racist words he could have used instead.

I was quite uncomfortable with the focus on the girl for that reason. I didn't know it was considered a racist term until I was quite a bit older than her, and then only through coverage of issues in European soccer games.

Hell, in Men in Black, Will Smith's character gets called "monkey boy". Aren't both terms racist?

Telling him he drives like an ape or monkey is not even remotely directly racist in the same way someone would be if they called him a boong or petrol sniffer. Driving like an ape or monkey is something that has been said and used for years in a non racist sense as comicalised in all those movies where it has been done as a joke. It is only seen as racist by some in the PC brigade who think that it is because he is black. I bet if they had made the same comment to a white player no one would've said boo.

Yeah I do re-call all the times I've heard that common Australian phrase "You drive like an ape, mate!".

Nothing to see.

Was it racial abuse or just abuse.

Serious question as I'm totally against racial abuse, or any kind if abuse for that matter, however Dunstall gets called an ape all the times and even though abuse should be kept out of it the bloke may have just been a plain old garden variety dick rather than a racially prejudiced dick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've worked in country Vic and had elderly people say things like 'I really wasn't sure about the Chinese doctor (talking about their GP), didn't know about the chink but he's turned out to be great". They are praising their GP and racially slurring him at the same time they just aren't aware of it.

I think there is room to cut the elderly some slack when it comes to racism if they grew up in a different time particularly if they witness world war 2.

But that doesn't mean it isn't racism and it's still wrong. Security, especially at Etihad, will have a no tolerance policy and I guess that's the best way to stamp it out. I do wonder if the Sydney crowd were a bit high and mighty and PC in reporting an old fella for a slur not even heard by Franklin. I would've liked to think those around him would've tried to start a conversation and get an apology, if it isn't forthcoming then by all means report him and toss him out. I think it's a case of having to be there to know exactly what was said and if it was repeat abuse or just an old man not knowing any better.

Why are you assuming it was swans supporters?

I joined the ADL... not racist though! I'm a religion hater.

Older gentleman that age aren't going to change. We can all be shocked and mortified by this but it is what it is.

The term ape isn't racist. It is derogatory sure, but it's the same as calling a player a chicken. Lots of chickens are white, are we going to ban black people from calling white players chickens if they shirk at a contest? Some people need to get some perspective.

If any colour or racial reference was made then that is different. But if he said just ape, then thank you Adam Goodes for skewing people's perspective on what racism actually is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back