Are Port Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A huge percentage of posters on this site have Port finishing top 3 next season. Im just curious as to where this level of optimism is coming from?

Is it the Preliminary final when they pushed Hawthorn all the way?

Their mid to late season form in the H & A seaosn this year was ordinary. Losses to Collingwood, Essendon at home, Richmond and Adelaide made for a very patchy run home. They won 4 from their last 11.

Yes they had a great finals series, but i don't think that's enough to put them in the top category of teams.

Whats with the optimism?

It was definitely their finals series IMO. They play attractive footy and I think a fair bit of it is hopeful optimism from neutral fans who are sick of seeing hawks and swans winning. I rate them the fourth best side behind hawks, swans and freo. I think they will be much the same next year.

They were able to push all the very best teams this season and looked exceptional early in the season until they hit a form slump. They were very close to winning three finals in a row after a lot of travel in a short period of time. Add to that, they were, overall, a pretty young team, so it is expected that they will have some improvement yet. So I'm not sure why you can't see where the optimism is coming from — young team full of talent that was able to go deep into finals, pushed the top teams, and would likely have made top 4 if not for a form slump that they recovered from — not really hard to see why people would think they can make top 4 next year and be a threat, especially when working under the assumption that the likes of Fremantle and Geelong will drop down the ladder.

Of course, you don't have to agree with that perspective. Port may not meet people's expectations. That form slump they suffered for several weeks this year could rear its head again and last longer in 2015, but Hinkley strikes me as a pretty good coach, so I think it's reasonable to think it's more likely they'll improve than struggle to reach the same heights, which should have them placed somewhere in the top 4.

It was definitely their finals series IMO. They play attractive footy and I think a fair bit of it is hopeful optimism from neutral fans who are sick of seeing hawks and swans winning. I rate them the fourth best side behind hawks, swans and freo. I think they will be much the same next year.

I'm sure this is part of it. However, I think the hope and optimism is reasonably realistic. I mean, if Port kick more accurately in the first half of the prelim, Hawks aren't 2014 premiers. If Port hadn't suffered a form slump for a few weeks, they make top 4. I think they proved that, even in a finals situation, they're capable of beating the top 4 sides. So while people may be pushing the Port bandwagon because they want to see Sydney and Hawthorn displaced from the top, I certainly don't think they're just clutching at straws when they suggest that they could be a serious contender next year.

They won 4 from their last 11.

trengove & carlisle both out for several weeks - that's a pretty depleted spine right there.
as mentioned, virus went through the club - players in hospital
apparent tough training load to get the boys cherry ripe prior to finals (as is the port adelaide way)

but dont let any of the other key stats & indicators put you off.

Actually I truthfully believe Port Adelaide are being a touch over rated for 2015. Not much mind you but a touch. Best 22 are as good as anyone but we know that you need to go 2-3 deep in each of ruck, forward, back and mids to get through to finals with a double chance and everyone ready to fire. I don't think we are quite there yet. Need to see Lobbe, Westhoff and Ryder together on field to convince me.

they were on top of hawthorn for most of the game, they lost on inaccurate kicking. other than they Port would have made the grand final.
PA hardly over rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beaten by some very ordinary teams after they sustained a few injuries. Will need another charmed run next year if they're to win it since their depth is pitiful.

Can't see it happening myself. Not without the Adelaide Oval "surprise factor" in their favor. No more slipping under the radar either, every team will be out to knock them off next year and given their list is quite young I'd be surprised if they handle the pressure of being "the hunted" week after week terribly well - they didn't in the second half of this year.

Beaten by some very ordinary teams after they sustained a few injuries. Will need another charmed run next year if they're to win it since their depth is pitiful.

Can't see it happening myself. Not without the Adelaide Oval "surprise factor" in their favor. No more slipping under the radar either, every team will be out to knock them off next year and given their list is quite young I'd be surprised if they handle the pressure of being "the hunted" week after week terribly well - they didn't in the second half of this year.
Their reserves side made the SANFL grand final, that suggests depth is pretty good.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

Where are Port at?

When teams jump a lot in one season, it's always a question as to if they can sustain it. Other teams will look at how they did it and improve those areas themselves and/or develop plans to counter them over the off season.

Will it happen? I doubt anyone really knows until it happens. Even if an opposition coach sees how to 'beat them', he wont know if he's right until it happens.

Losses to Collingwood, Essendon at home, Richmond and Adelaide made for a very patchy run home. They won 4 from their last 11.
We were also 10-1 at the start of the year with wins against Freo, Geelong and Hawthorn. Young group going through a heavy training load mid year + injuries to key players no surprise we had a rough spot. In my opinion the hype that Port are getting is well deserved whether or not we fulfil that hype is the real question

Finished 3rd and have improved their list since, hence being rated as a top 3 team.

People do overrate single games of footy though...

We were also 10-1 at the start of the year with wins against Freo, Geelong and Hawthorn. Young group going through a heavy training load mid year + injuries to key players no surprise we had a rough spot. In my opinion the hype that Port are getting is well deserved whether or not we fulfil that hype is the real question

Could also be that other clubs were starting to work you out/counter your changes.

Next year will give a better idea.

Could also be that other clubs were starting to work you out/counter your changes.

Next year will give a better idea.
Could well be but
- Beating Gold Coast in round 21
- Destroying Carlton in round 22
- Nearly beating Freo in round 23
- Smashing Richmond in the EF
- Beating Freo in the SF
- Nearly beating the premiers in the PF
would suggest otherwise. Who knows though

Last edited:
A huge percentage of posters on this site have Port finishing top 3 next season. Im just curious as to where this level of optimism is coming from?

Is it the Preliminary final when they pushed Hawthorn all the way?

Their mid to late season form in the H & A seaosn this year was ordinary. Losses to Collingwood, Essendon at home, Richmond and Adelaide made for a very patchy run home. They won 4 from their last 11.

Yes they had a great finals series, but i don't think that's enough to put them in the top category of teams.

Whats with the optimism?
I have you guys finishing top two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back