2015 NAB Challenge - Geelong v Adelaide, Kardinia Pk, 7.10pm (6.40pm SA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Er. Did we watch the same game? With that theory next time you guys play Sydney and Tippett is kicking goals with ease I hope you keep Talia on Franklin, cause, you know, hes more dangerous than the guy kicking the goals.
It's the pre-season, we will need Hartigan to play on guys like that throughout the year. Talia thrashed Hawkins, no point in changing a winning matchup. Clark also benefited from two very average free kicks.

Betts didn't spend a huge amount of time in the F50 tonight, was roaming up on the wing. He also spent a bit of time on the bench as he played a full game last week.
The overwhelming consensus amongst our board so far is he played well. He's the type of defender I like. Not overly fussed with disposals, more focused on beating his man. He played well tonight, regardless of how much time he spent directly on Betts.

It's the pre-season, we will need Hartigan to play on guys like that throughout the year. Talia thrashed Hawkins, no point in changing a winning matchup. Clark also benefited from two very average free kicks.

Still, you play to win not destroy a kids confidence...

He did...Well, what DID he do?
I find it funny and somewhat ironic that Clarke falls into their laps and Adelaide gift wraps them Cockatoo but then with their 21 pick they use it on a spud that is really surplus to their needs, I guess that's what the term swings and roundabouts is for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it funny and somewhat ironic that Clarke falls into their laps and Adelaide gift wraps them Cockatoo but then with their 21 pick they use it on a spud that is really surplus to their needs, I guess that's what the term swings and roundabouts is for.

So they really swapped Christensen for Stanley...Thats a pretty solid downgrade...

So they really swapped Christensen for Stanley...Thats a pretty solid downgrade...
Here's 2 points that make that pick up even worse and that is Geelong now have 9 ruckman sized players on their list (too many) and with the 21 pick the Saints picked up Brendan Goddard's cousin Hugh who already looks a likely type.

So I would dare say that if they had kept 21 and picked Goddard they could well have had the best trade/draft period of all the teams.

Just watching some of the highlights. Clark looks to be a real danger inside 50 for the Cats but that super goal from Cockatoo was pure gold.

Got involved in the contest, made his way out of congestion, burnt a couple of Crows players with breakaway pace and finished strongly from outside 50. Thats X factor and that's why the Cats love him and rated him so highly. His ticking the right boxes for a early debut you'd think.

Er. Did we watch the same game? With that theory next time you guys play Sydney and Tippett is kicking goals with ease I hope you keep Talia on Franklin, cause, you know, hes more dangerous than the guy kicking the goals.

Last time a team had to resort to Kyle Cheney on Hawkins, Hawkins practically won the game off his own boot.

That's a major question. Hawkins is Hawkins. Enough has been said about Clark. I thought Blicavs looked really good. Lonergan and Taylor don't look they've lost anything at the other end. Simpson was better. McIntosh is hopefully going to be an option within a couple of weeks. So, where does Stanley fit? It's not like he's had much experience as a first ruck, which would look to be the easiest spot for him to get a game this year. I'm not writing him off without even seeing him in a practice game, but it's pretty puzzling.

That's a major question. Hawkins is Hawkins. Enough has been said about Clark. I thought Blicavs looked really good. Lonergan and Taylor don't look they've lost anything at the other end. Simpson was better. McIntosh is hopefully going to be an option within a couple of weeks. So, where does Stanley fit? It's not like he's had much experience as a first ruck, which would look to be the easiest spot for him to get a game this year. I'm not writing him off without even seeing him in a practice game, but it's pretty puzzling.

Because HMac is 1 year from retirement, and injury prone.
Simposon is one injury setback from retirement.
Lonergan is likely within his last season or 2.
Stanley is a 21 year old.

Pretty obvious.

Because HMac is 1 year from retirement, and injury prone.
Simposon is one injury setback from retirement.
Lonergan is likely within his last season or 2.
Stanley is a 21 year old.

Pretty obvious.

Stanley is 24. He's got double figure hitouts in 7 of his 58 games. He's got more than 15 hitouts once (21) and in that game, the opposing ruckman got 49.

If he's been recruited to carry the ruck division, let's just say there hasn't been a lot of evidence to suggest that he can do it. If he's been recruited to play a bit of ruck and a bit forward, well, Geelong doesn't exactly have a shortage of those types.

Stanley is 24. He's got double figure hitouts in 7 of his 58 games. He's got more than 15 hitouts once (21) and in that game, the opposing ruckman got 49.

If he's been recruited to carry the ruck division, let's just say there hasn't been a lot of evidence to suggest that he can do it. If he's been recruited to play a bit of ruck and a bit forward, well, Geelong doesn't exactly have a shortage of those types.

Ah so he was a genuine starting ruck in all 58 games? No? Then irrelevant stat is irrelevant.
He is also a relative rookie when it comes to experience, how would you expect him to perform? avg 30+ hitouts a game? From game 20? Sure....
Lets take your stance, no Stanley, so we have the exact same amount of ruckman that we did the last 2 years, except we now have a possible part timer in Clark, how did that work for us?
Again, as you seemed to miss it, HMac is in his final year, how many games has he played the last 4 years again?
Simpson is one injury away from retirement (his own words) and the others you used (Lonergan, Taylor, Blicavs) are either also on their last legs or cannot and will not play that role.
So what happens next year?
What happens this year if Simpson and HMac break down again, which by history is a fair chance to happen?
Stanley was recruited as a short term back up plan and a longer term possible best 22.

Ah so he was a genuine starting ruck in all 58 games? No? Then irrelevant stat is irrelevant.

Stanley was recruited as a short term back up plan and a longer term possible best 22.

I think it's kind of relevant that if we're expecting him to be ready to be our first ruckman at his age, that he's had some serious AFL experience in the position. Further to that, he's small and slight for a ruckman. Most teams' nominal #1 ruck would be about 3-5cm/5-10kg taller and heavier than him. He'll probably find it tough, like he did in his very last AFL game, where he served as a nominal #1 (albeit only because Billy Longer was subbed out) and Sam Jacobs got 49 hitouts against him.

If I'm trading pick #21 for a 24 year old, I want someone that is going to be a senior player immediately. 'Short term back up plan and longer term possible best 22' sounds like a rookie draft pick to me. In fact Geelong took two ruckmen in the last rookie draft.

I think it's kind of relevant that if we're expecting him to be ready to be our first ruckman at his age, that he's had some serious AFL experience in the position. Further to that, he's small and slight for a ruckman. Most teams' nominal #1 ruck would be about 3-5cm/5-10kg taller and heavier than him. He'll probably find it tough, like he did in his very last AFL game, where he served as a nominal #1 (albeit only because Billy Longer was subbed out) and Sam Jacobs got 49 hitouts against him.

If I'm trading pick #21 for a 24 year old, I want someone that is going to be a senior player immediately. 'Short term back up plan and longer term possible best 22' sounds like a rookie draft pick to me. In fact Geelong took two ruckmen in the last rookie draft.

You are massively over estimating both a pick 21 and a rookie.

plaudits to geelongs recruiting staff, took lang earlier then expected last year even though last night he wasn't great you can just tell he will make it very smart , cockatoo could be anything great size and mover and to be able to put in a game like that (yes it's nab cup ) but being his 3rd game in almost two years is really impressive, i already think he will add more to the team then what varcoe was capable of and gregson looks another likely type

Remove this Banner Ad

Back