Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Cats v Saints Sat March 16th 7:30pm AEDT (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to the Cats for winning that, but if I was buying shares in one of those sides for 2024 it would be the Saints. Didn’t all click for them tonight and they found it hard to get their game going on the narrow ground but they’ll be better once they have some more room to move - especially on the fast deck at Marvel.

In contrast I can’t really see that strangling gameplan of Geelong working anywhere except at home. Time will tell though I guess.
You are obviously a bit of a geelong hater from your posts. I wouldn’t be buying anything off saints after that. Incredibly plucky and even assy with a lot of goals. First goal off an incredibly poor non htb call as well.

You are obviously a bit of a geelong hater from your posts.
Weird assertion. I have a stack of respect for the Cats and everything they’ve achieved. Was merely commenting on what I saw watching the game tonight that I would predict the Saints to do better over the course of the season than Geelong. I’m no expert and there’s every chance I’ll be proven wrong.

This game was always scripted for a Geelong win with the Selwood stand opening.

I could blame the umpiring, which was biased towards Geelong at their home ground as per usual, but I won't.

I blame our players for not taking their chances when we had momentum, we need Plugger down there to teach them how to kick straight,
Your first goal of the game resulted from the most obvious htb call you will see not paid to geelong infront of goal. Then you got about 3 other goals from incredibly soft frees. Don’t make me laugh with anymore of this

Regardless if the saints win, lose, draw or tank tonight....

Ross Lyon will get saints back into finals this season in 2024
I will never understand what you see in his football.
Been tried and been beaten when it matters, by 3 clubs

Geelong with a strangling game plan? St Kilda were the ones flooding defence and then playing on the counter.

Geelong were in fact leaving loads of space out the back, which is very much not a defensive set up.

63 inside 50s, 26 scoring shots - just very inefficient.

Saints want to shut a game down, ranked 15th last year for average goals, only ahead of WC, North, Hawks

Mick Malthouse mindset

Credit to the Cats for winning that, but if I was buying shares in one of those sides for 2024 it would be the Saints.
Lol what.

Walked out of tonight even more emboldened they're going nowhere.

Very vanilla.

Say what you want about Geelong. Don't rate us, we've had our time and enjoying whatever comes.

But I can't see how you can see the light on St Kilda.

Weird assertion. I have a stack of respect for the Cats and everything they’ve achieved. Was merely commenting on what I saw watching the game tonight that I would predict the Saints to do better over the course of the season than Geelong. I’m no expert and there’s every chance I’ll be proven wrong.
Saints are a tough side to beat. This was 6th vs 12th from 6 months ago and their stifling gameplan made it a grind fest. Geelong were inefficient but didn't look as leggy and lethargic as this time last year. There's good signs from the kids. So let's see.

Saints are a tough side to beat. This was 6th vs 12th from 6 months ago and their stifling gameplan made it a grind fest. Geelong were inefficient but didn't look as leggy and lethargic as this time last year. There's good signs from the kids. So let's see.
Yeah I thought some of your kids were fantastic to be fair

Our Captain, OUR CHAMPION!
afl wink GIF

I could blame the umpiring, which was biased towards Geelong at their home ground as per usual, but I won't.

I blame our players for not taking their chances when we had momentum, we need Plugger down there to teach them how to kick straight,

Just amazing how in such a scripted game that the people with the most control of that script saw fit to blow the whistle in your team’s favour 12 times in the second half and do it 3 times for the team they were supposed to be helping.

He was the last man but it was very close.

Plenty of pressure and within the 9. AFL defenders need to be more switched on, zero chance deliberate is getting paid there.
He was under pressure mainly from the game situation. He was within the 9, but if you have time and space to dispose of it and decide to rush it, it should be deemed deliberate. Whether or not the umpires call it though, is another thing. Can't really blame him for hacking it out of there, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what.

Walked out of tonight even more emboldened they're going nowhere.

Very vanilla.

Say what you want about Geelong. Don't rate us, we've had our time and enjoying whatever comes.

But I can't see how you can see the light on St Kilda.
It hurts to say but I tend to agree.

Reckon it was an awful loss for the Saints.

We are still prioritizing “effort” over skill execution as a footy club. Have signed Ross for years now when the game is heading in another direction to what he offers as a coach with his skill set.

That Geelong, playing so poorly, can still beat us, says where each club is at unfortunately.

Ha ha Plug. If you don't want to blame the umpires, why mention them at all, let alone throw in the words biased and scripted?

I will never understand what you see in his football.
Been tried and been beaten when it matters, by 3 clubs
Ross Lyon is a coach that extracts every drop from average clubs.

In soccer ⚽ he would be a Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce or Jose Mourinho or any decent Italian manager/ coach.

Plays defensive but gets results with struggling lower tier or mid table clubs

Ross Lyon is a coach that extracts every drop from average clubs.

In soccer ⚽ he would be a Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce or Jose Mourinho or any decent Italian manager/ coach.

Plays defensive but gets results with struggling lower tier or mid table clubs
You're making me hate him more.

I hated playing West Brom under Pulis.
Big Sam was crap to watch.

And I hated Jose coaching my club, albeit he doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as these lot as he's winner.

I get he extracts every drop of juice from the lemon. But football where the richest win and less wealthy are happy just to stay in the division it makes sense.

AFL has an equalised draft, cap and fixture system that should see cyclical rotation from bottom to top.
And what we've seen at St.K (first time) and Fremantle is wasting elite key forward talent in Riewoldt and Pavlich playing a brand that doesn't stack up in finals. And to me it looks like St.K are happy to repeat the dose with Max King.

I just don't get it.
45% of the league makes finals each season. That isn't the bar to be set.
Top 4, Prelim and Grand Finals are the benchmarks and then the ultimate goal.

You're making me hate him more.

I hated playing West Brom under Pulis.
Big Sam was crap to watch.

And I hated Jose coaching my club, albeit he doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as these lot as he's winner.

I get he extracts every drop of juice from the lemon. But football where the richest win and less wealthy are happy just to stay in the division it makes sense.

AFL has an equalised draft, cap and fixture system that should see cyclical rotation from bottom to top.
And what we've seen at St.K (first time) and Fremantle is wasting elite key forward talent in Riewoldt and Pavlich playing a brand that doesn't stack up in finals. And to me it looks like St.K are happy to repeat the dose with Max King.

I just don't get it.
45% of the league makes finals each season. That isn't the bar to be set.
Top 4, Prelim and Grand Finals are the benchmarks and then the ultimate goal.
Are you saying Ross’s brand wasted Riewoldts talent in finals? Cause Nick was an excellent finals player under Ross.

Are you saying Ross’s brand wasted Riewoldts talent in finals? Cause Nick was an excellent finals player under Ross.
No. I am saying he was an elite forward and he ended his career without success because Ross couldn't play a style that stacks up.
Elite key forwards are gold dust. You can't waste them.

Back