Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Suns v Crows Sat March 16th 8:10pm AEDT (People First )

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. All the crows had to do was play 15 minutes of good footy and they could've stolen it.
Might be hard for some to believe but Gold Coast have won 4 of their last 6 games against the Crows. Rankine is also yet to experience a win against the Suns. Seems to be a mental edge developing there.

In reality, it was really Gold Coast's poor accuracy in front of goal in the 4th quarter that kept the Crows in it. The Suns had 3 very kickable shots on goal in the last term that they missed. Kick straighter and it probably ends up being a 4-5 goal win for the Suns, but that will come with time as Hardwick's gameplan + how he wants to close out games is further embedded in the playing group.

Learning on the go at the moment.

Might be hard for some to believe but Gold Coast have won 4 of their last 6 games against the Crows. Rankine is also yet to experience a win against the Suns. Seems to be a mental edge developing there.

In reality, it was really Gold Coast's poor accuracy in front of goal in the 4th quarter that kept the Crows in it. The Suns had 3 very kickable shots on goal in the last term that they missed. Kick straighter and it probably ends up being a 4-5 goal win for the Suns, but that will come with time as Hardwick's gameplan + how he wants to close out games is further embedded in the playing group.

Learning on the go at the moment.
Rankine did miss the last home game against GC, bit of cherry picking there. Mental edge developing? lol, Rankine had 18 and kicked two last night, I reckon he's fine.

Rankine did miss the last home game against GC, bit of cherry picking there. Mental edge developing? lol, Rankine had 18 and kicked two last night, I reckon he's fine.
Just simply looking at the stats doesn't tell the story of what happened last night. Context is key. The majority of those touches were accumulated in the first quarter before the crowd started booing him. Then he got booed pretty loudly when he was caught holding the ball, proceded to give away a 50m penalty for dissent and seemed visibly bothered by the boos he was receiving for the rest of the match. Go back and watch how quickly he snaps his first set shot goal in the third quarter when the crowd starts to boo him. That's not his regular routine - he'll normally go back, take 10-15 seconds to think it through and then snap the set shot. His second goal was good but it happened so quickly that the crowd didn't really have a chance to put him off.

Before the match I thought the showman in Rankine would embrace the boos and play better, but after watching him closely with my own eyes last night I'm now convinced the boos bothered him and put him off for large portions of the game e.g. he virtually did nothing in the second quarter when the Suns were piling on the points and the crowd started giving it to him.

Back