Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Suns v Crows Sat March 16th 8:10pm AEDT (People First )

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldcoast-vs-Adelaide.png

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 1
GOLD COAST V ADELAIDE
SATURDAY MARCH 16TH 8:10PM AEDT (PEOPLE FIRST STADIUM)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams
SUNS

B: B. Uwland, C. Ballard, S. Collins
HB: C. Budarick, W. Powell, A. Sexton
C: B. Fiorini, T. Miller, B. Ellis
HF: B. Ainsworth, B. Humphrey, T. Berry
F: B. King, J. Lukosius, M. Rosas
FOLL: J. Witts - C, N. Anderson, M. Rowell

I/C: S. Flanders, N. Holman, D. Swallow, L. Casboult, D. Macpherson
EMG: R. Atkins, W. Graham, N. Moyle

No changes

CROWS

B: J. Worrell, J. Butts, B. Smith
HB: W. Milera, J. Borlase, M. Michalanney
C: L. Sholl, J. Dawson - C, C. Jones
HF: B. Keays, I. Rankine, J. Rachele
F: C. Burgess, D. Fogarty, L. Gollant
FOLL: R. O’Brien, R. Laird, S. Berry

I/C: L. Pedlar, M. Crouch, L. Murphy, J. Soligo, M. Hinge
EMG: E. Himmelberg, E. McHenry, M. Keane

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Fuel the Football Frenzy Here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really interesting matchup. Both teams appear to be on the rise with exciting young talent.

Was it beneficial or detrimental for the Suns to have played last week? You could make the argument either way.

How much of a factor will the weather be? High humidity at night virtually guarantees slippery conditions.

Will a larger than usual GC crowd show up after the Suns' impressive start to the season and will the crowd be a factor? Will they boo Rankine in his first game on the GC since switching teams?

Suns are currently $1.72 favourites to walk away with the W but I think it's closer than that.

I'm tipping Suns by around 10 points.

Last edited:

Really interesting matchup. Both teams appear to be on the rise with exciting young talent.

Was it beneficial or detrimental for the Suns to have played last week? You could make the argument either way.

How much of a factor will the weather be? High humidity at night virtually guarantees slippery conditions.

Will a larger than usual GC crowd show up after the Suns' impressive start to the season and will the crowd be a factor?

Suns are currently $1.72 favourites to walk away with the W but I think it's closer than that.

I'm tipping suns by 2 to 3 goals. If Adelaide get up it would be down to a major improvement over the offseason.

I'm tipping suns by 2 to 3 goals. If Adelaide get up it would be down to a major improvement over the offseason.
Is that because Adelaide didn't travel particularly well in 2023? Two wins from 10 away games last year and two of those losses were in Darwin / Brisbane where humidity was probably a factor like it should be this Saturday night.

Historically the Crows have a really good record against the Suns, but recent history suggests this game could be a very difficult task for the Crows. The Suns have won three of the last five games they've played and two of those wins came at this venue. In fact, the Crows haven't beaten the Suns in Queensland since 2019 when the Gold Coast won just three games for the year and claimed the wooden spoon. Even the Crows wins in Adelaide over the last five years were by relatively small margins.

So yeah. Your view on the game is probably justified based on recent evidence.

Is that because Adelaide didn't travel particularly well in 2023? Two wins from 10 away games last year and two of those losses were in Darwin / Brisbane where humidity was probably a factor like it should be this Saturday night.

Historically the Crows have a really good record against the Suns, but recent history suggests this game could be a very difficult task for the Crows. The Suns have won three of the last five games they've played and two of those wins came at this venue. In fact, the Crows haven't beaten the Suns in Queensland since 2019 when the Gold Coast won just three games for the year and claimed the wooden spoon. Even the Crows wins in Adelaide over the last five years were by relatively small margins.

So yeah. Your view on the game is probably justified based on recent evidence.
I think it's partly that, but also that to my eye the Suns have gone up a level. Or at least key players have taken that leap from gun talents to actual gun players (Rowell, Lukosius).

If all goes well for both clubs from here, this could be the precursor to some heavyweight clashes in the next few years.

Still, Adelaide by 2-3 goals for me in this one, though a lot of it is to do with I think we're catching the Suns at a time where they're bedding down Hardwicks gameplan and seem rather vulnerable to pressure.

Will a larger than usual GC crowd show up after the Suns' impressive start to the season and will the crowd be a factor? Will they boo Rankine in his first game on the GC since switching teams?

What is the argument that playing last week was anything but beneficial for those teams, and will continue to be throughout the year?

Seems an unfair advantage for the East Coast clubs and preferred Vic clubs.

And will the crowds boo Rankine? Hopefully a lot of booing if he kicks a bag ;)

What is the argument that playing last week was anything but beneficial for those teams, and will continue to be throughout the year?

Seems an unfair advantage for the East Coast clubs and preferred Vic clubs.

And will the crowds boo Rankine? Hopefully a lot of booing if he kicks a bag ;)
It does look like advantage but then you could say Crows and Port got an extra Adelaide game (Gather round), teams like Collingwood, Tigers travel only 5-6x away from Victoria and so on. It's a long list of disparities in AFL mostly favouring Vic teams.

I expect Suns fans will boo Rankine. Depending how many Suns fans will attend 😂 I expect 50:50 split.

One can make case for either team to win. Crows did not travel well in the past, but they are one year more experienced, know their game plan, are on the up, high scoring offence.

Suns are learning the new system, but at home, in slippery conditions, one game under belt should help. Some of the young players are finally close to prime time (Ballard, Powell, Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, King).

It will not surprise me if Crows win. Suns will be probably up and down early in the season.

Last edited:
The Crows look great on paper everywhere bar their backline, and that could spell trouble against King, Luko etc. Tipping the Suns but this looks fairly close to a 50/50 so no surprises if I’ve gone the wrong way.
Weve been screwed again. Now Tex looks like he wont be in. In match sim today Borlase is with the A's and Keane with the B's so a side probably of

F Rachele Burgess Gollant
HF Keays Fogarty Rankine
C Sholl Dawson Soligo
HB Michalanney Butts Hinge
B Worrell Borlase Smith
R O'Brien Crouch Laird
I Jones Berry Murphy Pedlar Milera

It does look like advantage but then you could say Crows and Port got an extra Adelaide game (Gather round), teams like Collingwood, Tigers travel only 5-6x away from Victoria and so on. It's a long list of disparities in AFL mostly favouring Vic teams.

I expect Suns fans will boo Rankine. Depending how many Suns fans will attend 😂 I expect 50:50 split.

One can make case for either team to win. Crows did not travel well in the past, but they are one year more experienced, know their game plan, are on the up, high scoring offence.

Suns are learning the new system, but at home, in slippery conditions, one game under belt should help. Some of the young players are finally close to prime time (Ballard, Powell, Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, King).

It will not surprise me if Crows win. Suns will be probably up and down early in the season.
Suns have started well for a number of season now haven't they, just need to finish well this year! Goodluck, I'd be tipping Gold Coast if I had too, but I think we will keep Gold Coast more accountable during the game than Richmond did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see Adelaide winning up there with the slippery conditions and missing Thilthorpe and Tex most likely. Won't have enough fire power up forward. Suns by a couple methinks - unfortunately.

2024 will be a test for this young Adelaide side. I am not expecting us to win this weekend.
Not only young, but also undersized for Saturday.

Key Forwards
Chris Burgess -193cm
Darcy Forgarty - 192cm
Lachlan Gollant - 191cm

Key Backs
Jordan Butts - 195cm
Josh Worrell - 195cm
James Borlase - 192cm

The Suns have two 200cm key forwards (King & Casboult) and another 195cm key forward in Lukosius. That's likely going to be pretty difficult for the shorter Crows defenders to contain. The Suns are a little shorter in the backline but certainly tall enough to cover the Crows key forwards with Ballard at 197cm, Collins at 194cm and Powell/Uwland at 189cm.

Key Forwards
Chris Burgess -193cm
Darcy Forgarty - 192cm
Lachlan Gollant - 191cm

Key Backs
Jordan Butts - 195cm
Josh Worrell - 195cm
James Borlase - 192cm

The Suns have two 200cm key forwards (King & Casboult) and another 195cm key forward in Lukosius. That's likely going to be pretty difficult for the shorter Crows defenders to contain. The Suns are a little shorter in the backline but certainly tall enough to cover the Crows key forwards with Ballard at 197cm, Collins at 194cm and Powell/Uwland at 189cm.
Has Butts and Borlase shrunk. Last year Butts was 200cm and Borlase 194cm

Key Forwards
Chris Burgess -193cm
Darcy Forgarty - 192cm
Lachlan Gollant - 191cm

Key Backs
Jordan Butts - 195cm
Josh Worrell - 195cm
James Borlase - 192cm

And Lukosius always plays his best vs Adelaide.

Interesting game, I think Rowell will get a lot more attention than what our midfield gave him.

I'm the only one to tip the crows to win by more than 20 points. And I'm wrong ALL the time. So I'm a little concerned lol.

Back