Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Cats v Saints Sat March 16th 7:30pm AEDT (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to the Cats for winning that, but if I was buying shares in one of those sides for 2024 it would be the Saints. Didn’t all click for them tonight and they found it hard to get their game going on the narrow ground but they’ll be better once they have some more room to move - especially on the fast deck at Marvel.

In contrast I can’t really see that strangling gameplan of Geelong working anywhere except at home. Time will tell though I guess.

I do like how St Kilda play boring whatever don’t try and score for 3 quarters and then actually try and play football in the last quarter…

Why not play like that the whole game?
Ross Lyon had Riewoldt a generational great forward and played the same defensive system. Why would now be any different.

Credit to the Cats for winning that, but if I was buying shares in one of those sides for 2024 it would be the Saints. Didn’t all click for them tonight and they found it hard to get their game going on the narrow ground but they’ll be better once they have some more room to move - especially on the fast deck at Marvel.

In contrast I can’t really see that strangling gameplan of Geelong working anywhere except at home. Time will tell though I guess.
Understand that commentary however a lot of Geelong fans I'm.sure will be happy with the young flavour of the team

Good win by the Cats

Same old Ross, sucking the life out of a contest, thinking he can still win games by keeping the opposition to 60 points

Bizarre that Wilkie was on Henry
Bizarre take. In the game I watched it wasn’t the Saints that were trying to suck the space out of the game. They were trying to go quickly whenever they could. It was the Cats that were trying to shut that down, and they mostly did that pretty effectively

Understand that commentary however a lot of Geelong fans I'm.sure will be happy with the young flavour of the team
Yeah that’s fair enough, some of the younger names played really well. My point was more about the contrasting game styles than the personnel.

Bizarre take. It wasn’t the Saints that were trying to suck the space out of the game. They were trying to go quickly whenever they could. It was the Cats that were trying to shut that down, and they mostly did that pretty effectively

Ross floods a defensive half, then tries to slingshot, rinse and repeat

Geelong with a strangling game plan? St Kilda were the ones flooding defence and then playing on the counter.

Geelong were in fact leaving loads of space out the back, which is very much not a defensive set up.

63 inside 50s, 26 scoring shots - just very inefficient.

Good win by the Cats

Same old Ross, sucking the life out of a contest, thinking he can still win games by keeping the opposition to 60 points

Bizarre that Wilkie was on Henry

It was better when the best tall defender was responsible for the best tall forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong with a strangling game plan? St Kilda were the ones flooding defence and then playing on the counter.

Geelong were in fact leaving loads of space out the back, which is very much not a defensive set up.

63 inside 50s, 26 scoring shots - just very inefficient.
Your gameplan at home for years has been to prevent sides from getting any sort of space to open the game up, and you do it very well. Didn’t see any evidence that you were trying to create space but perhaps we were watching two different games.

He would've had to kick over the line, there were 2 Geelong players behind him in the square. It would have been deliberate, he had no choice but to move it forward.

He was the last man but it was very close.

Plenty of pressure and within the 9. AFL defenders need to be more switched on, zero chance deliberate is getting paid there.

Your gameplan at home for years has been to prevent sides from getting any sort of space to open the game up, and you do it very well. Didn’t see any evidence that you were trying to create space but perhaps we were watching two different games.
I'm almost wondering if this is a joke. St Kilda found space on transition time and time again tonight when they won the ball. Geelong players had very aggressive positioning and running patterns. They just struggled to break down a brick wall and then missed a lot of easy shots.

We prevent them from going down the middle or moving it quick down the corridor and force teams slow and wide. We don’t flood and slingshot.

That was literally all st kilda tried to do tonight. Flood and slingshot

This game was always scripted for a Geelong win with the Selwood stand opening.

I could blame the umpiring, which was biased towards Geelong at their home ground as per usual, but I won't.

I blame our players for not taking their chances when we had momentum, we need Plugger down there to teach them how to kick straight,

Why would you? Sending us down there is a guaranteed win for the afl’s love club to get their season off to the best possible start

Yeah it’s just bizarre that a side opening a brand new redeveloped arena would play their first game at that venue after playing their opening 3 games away last year and not playing round one at Kardinia Park since 2014.

It seems way too frequent hey, to play round one at our home ground once every 11 ******* seasons

Back