Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 2 - Saints v Pies Thurs March 21st 7:30pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does every game day thread have the losing team blaming the umpires? It’s so petty.

When it’s double in the disparity questions will always be asked. It wasn’t the reason they lost though their mids were soft. They got away with your Cameron/Cox ruckmen last year not sure it’s sustainable though

When it’s double in the disparity questions will always be asked. It wasn’t the reason they lost though their mids were soft. They got away with your Cameron/Cox ruckmen last year not sure it’s sustainable though
Thats 99% of the tigers games :(

. Then when it was capped off with the goal from the 5th row, I had to literally lol.

Out of interest what part of the boundary line are you lining the ball up with?

The white line opposite the feet of Higgins and below the ball, or the white line on your TV screen that is just to the left of the ball which is actually metres away from the ball (ie is foreshortened by the angle of the camera). and as the boundary line is curved, has curved to the left?

Ball to not be in play has to be entirely out of play, which if you look next to the ball you might at first glance think it is as you are seeing green next to the ball and the white line is entirely to the left of the ball.

But if you project a line downwards it looks to me from the footage that part of the ball is over the line.

1711067834807.png

And if you want to reflect on goals from "possible" umpiring errors. There is always this "mark" and goal to have at look at too.

1711068413394.png

Last edited:
Seeing a lot of outrage from Pies fans about a former St Kilda player being able to umpire a Saints game.

Not seeing much concern from them about a former Collingwood player being appointed the Match Review Officer who determines sanctions for Collingwood players.

Very rarely when Leigh fisher umpires for St kilda games is he biased towards the Saints, we find its usually the opposite.

The white line opposite the feet of Higgins and below the ball, or the white line on your TV screen that is just to the left of the ball which is actually metres away from the ball (ie is foreshortened by the angle of the camera). and as the boundary line is curved, has curved to the left?

Ball to not be in play has to be entirely out of play (which if you look next to the ball you might at first glance think it is as you are seeing green next to the ball and the white line is entirely to the left of the ball.

But if you project a line downwards it looks to me from the footage that part of the ball is over the line.

View attachment 1935615

And if you want to reflect on goals from "possible" umpiring errors. There is always this "mark" and goal to have at look at too.

View attachment 1935623
Game set match.

Why do people whinge about the umpires?
1. De Nile.
2. The umpires have more power to influence the game than ever before. (e.g. stand, random 50 metres).
3. The fourth umpire has thinned the pool of good umpires even further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, I'm not the first person to defend Collingwood, but ...

I watched a movie last night rather than the game. I switched it on just after St Kilda had kicked a goal to give them a 33-point lead. Then the Collingwood comeback started, the umpiring from there was atrocious and one-sided and killed any momentum that Collingwood had. It wasn't just that they were missing frees that Collingwood should have got, they were giving Saints free off wrong calls . Then when it was capped off with the goal from the 5th row, I had to literally lol.

If Essendon was on the receiving end of that it would be hard not to feel like it was almost deliberate. I'm sure it wasn't, but whoever was umpiring was completely incompetent. I haven't seen a worse performance on the MCG since Harry Jones last week. He's been omitted despite Essendon also having 3 forced changes.

I didn't see the press conference, but I doubt very much that Mcrae made a big deal about it in the press because it is bad for our footy culture to bring umpire abuse in as it does filter down to lower leagues and ends umpiring for juniors. It also sends the wrong message to his players because his players should know that they're in that position because of how bad they were. However, I really hope that there is a behind the scenes way for clubs to complain about umpiring.

Umpires should be held accountable because it is a professional entertainment product and really bad performances like that turn people off. I feel like each decision should be open to official complaints and responses so that everyone involved can learn from it. Either the umpire or the team that felt like they were wronged can learn that they need to change something. Also over time, particular umpries can learn where their blindspots are, and if an umpire is consistently not up to it (not just had one bad game), then they're not given more games.

It can be all left behind closed doors and down the track released to the public de-personalised.

While there is something to be said about the drama of injustice driving viewership, I think the opposite is true. The nature of officiating in soccer stops me from being a full-on fan of that game.
It's ok, the Umps walked them to a flag last year, so this is just a small square-up.

Also, in regards tot he Higgins goal, Elliott kicked the first goal from a mark he clearly dropped.

Nobody cares though, because it was at the start of the game.

I didn't notice the umpires to be honest.

But for full disclosure, I also didn't notice when in deep sleep the thief in the night who cleaned out my garage late last year in the build up to the festive season!
Oppos for the last ten years watching Richmond games.:drunk:

Collingwood don't get the rub of the green for one game = all over the media.

Richmond don't get the rub of the green for a decade = crickets chirping.

Ball to not be in play has to be entirely out of play, which if you look next to the ball you might at first glance think it is as you are seeing green next to the ball and the white line is entirely to the left of the ball.

View attachment 1935615

View attachment 1935623
Tom Lynch's goal in the final that cost us a premiership 2022.

Why do people whinge about the umpires?
1. De Nile.
2. The umpires have more power to influence the game than ever before. (e.g. stand, random 50 metres).
3. The fourth umpire has thinned the pool of good umpires even fufurther.
I totally agree. I think the umpires are a 4-8 goal influence each match.

I remember losing to the dogs in a 2021 regular season game towards the end of the year and the umpires were about a 6 goal factor in the dogs favour. I was confident in the finals, with the best umpires, that we'd smash them. And smash them we did.

Strange comment from a Saints fan. At least we have won a premiership in the last 50 years...
best comeback ever, did it take you long.........
Sad Monsters Inc GIF by filmeditor

Far from a Collingwood supporter but geez that was some pretty average umpiring last night.

The Collingwood supporters having a go at the ump's aren't in denial, the people who actually watched that game and think it was fairly umpired are. When HTB, arm chops, holding off the ball etc are paid willy nilly to one team and not the other it stands out. The Degoey one was terrible.

As far as the Higgins goal goes this happens too often. We had one go our way last week that was nearly half a meter over the line and allowed a shot on goal. It is as though the ump waits a second too long to make a decision then it's too late and they let it go.

Very rarely when Leigh fisher umpires for St kilda games is he biased towards the Saints, we find its usually the opposite.
Normally pissed off when we get him...it's as though he goes out of his way to prove he has no allegiance. I was at the game so didn't really notice him in particular being favourable to us...are there any clear examples shown?

Back