Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Blues v Tigers Thurs March 14th 7:30pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After the game, Voss talked about being very aware of this weird fixturing with two games and a bye, and decided to have a big block of training in the lead up to round 0, knowing that they'd have a rest in Round 3.
So it's not surprising that after what must have been a crazy effort to come from 46 points down at the Gabba, they looked a bit flat last night.
Fair play to Richmond, they seriously put in. But as a Carlton person I'm not too worried about where we're at right now.
Clearly also trying a couple of things.... looking to score more from transition instead of relying on scoring from contests. But would be nice to do that without completely forgetting how to win at the contest.
Feels good to be 2-0 with fingers crossed important players to come back and still building into the season.
Agree it's all about banking wins at this point of the season, no matter how achieved

I thought Carlton were unlucky not to be 4 goals up at half time.

People forget Richmond were just hanging on at that stage. We were deeply unlucky not to get to play the game out with Balta forward and a full complement. It happens.

I went to the footy stress free with a bunch of mates and remain so.

When you win a bunch of flags and have great success then you have to enjoy the journey on the other side. That's where we're at, despite all the wishes or hopes otherwise.
Sorry, far too objective. I'd take a few years of s**t like you have coming for three flags.

Good luck for the season Simche

Pretty decent game.

Richmond seemed to get the rub of the green early and then Carlton later. Richmond much better than last week, Carlton not so much against a side wrecked by injuries on the night. Still, a win is a win.

As I said though, a decent game of footy to watch as a neutral.

I can’t stop puking after drinking so much alcohol after that shattering loss ….. please help!

So just a normal Richmond season game night then?

I was really hoping that with a new year the 'woof' would stop when Saad kicks the ball. Nothing more cringe in afl footy.
I disagree .....cringy is playing country road take me home after Every Charle Cameron goal .....and the most cringy thing has to be ports never tear us apart ....embarrassing !!

Yes the Blues played atrocious football all game, if they were playing a half decent side they would have lost by ten goals.
This is why I respect Richmond so much. They have this incredible ability to force you to play their style of footy. It literally feels like the exact same game is played every time we come up against them

After the game, Voss talked about being very aware of this weird fixturing with two games and a bye, and decided to have a big block of training in the lead up to round 0, knowing that they'd have a rest in Round 3.
So it's not surprising that after what must have been a crazy effort to come from 46 points down at the Gabba, they looked a bit flat last night.
Fair play to Richmond, they seriously put in. But as a Carlton person I'm not too worried about where we're at right now.
Clearly also trying a couple of things.... looking to score more from transition instead of relying on scoring from contests. But would be nice to do that without completely forgetting how to win at the contest.
Feels good to be 2-0 with fingers crossed important players to come back and still building into the season.
LOL; only round 2 and the "we're going through a heavy training phase" excuse is already out.

LOL; only round 2 and the "we're going through a heavy training phase" excuse is already out.
It's a pretty unique season with some teams having the additional bye early. Wouldn't be surprised if the different clubs were changing things because of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse for what? We’re 2-0. I’m very happy with where we’re at. Don’t mistake context for excuses.
Excuse for looking flat or not beating Richmond by 10 goals which I'm sure a lot of Carlton fans thought they would. But you are right, they did have a big block of training in the lead up to Round 0 which is called the pre-season.

I actually enjoyed the game.
Richmond showed some fight (more than I thought they had).
Lynch will get better and they are going to trouble a lot of sides and not be the easy beats many have said.

Carlton have won a couple of close games now (and their last few wins have been close).
As Collingwood have shown over the past two years, this is a good quality to have and certainly an advantage to be able to win the close ones.

Although there were some moments in the last few minutes that they would like to get back.

All in all, it doesn't need to be a pretty game to be a good game.

Both were there. How about the 70 metre penalty to the tall blonde?
Front on contact on Lynch was very soft but there according to the rules. I actually think your foward interfered with Lynch more than Young.

The ruck free I didn't think there was anywhere close to enough force imo

Then your goal in the first via Balta he clearly shoves Young in the back on the 50m line which allows the ball to get behind for his goal

You also scored on the HT siren which was from a free kick which I still can't explain - heard afterwards it was HTB on TDK but not sure where they pulled it from.

Umpiring was very poor

Front on contact on Lynch was very soft but there according to the rules. I actually think your foward interfered with Lynch more than Young.

The ruck free I didn't think there was anywhere close to enough force imo

Then your goal in the first via Balta he clearly shoves Young in the back on the 50m line.

You also scored on the HT siren which was from a free kick which I still can't explain - heard afterwards it was HTB on TDK but not sure where they pulled it from.

Umpiring was very poor
Ruck free he had his 2 hands square in his back and pushed, that’s a free every time.
Umpires were ok on the whole even though we again lost the free kick count but that’s nothing new. The “50” metre penalty to de koning at such a crucial part of the game was an absolute howler though, both the decision and the metres given.

Ruck free he had his 2 hands square in his back and pushed, that’s a free every time.
Umpires were ok on the whole even though we again lost the free kick count but that’s nothing new. The “50” metre penalty to de koning at such a crucial part of the game was an absolute howler though, both the decision and the metres given.
The free kick count is the most meaningless stat when judging quality of umpiring in a single game. Carlton were +15 tackles and we got a heap of frees for them.

On your last point why is one free kick at the end more important than goals from free kicks early in the game? If those don't get paid early they game might not even be close at the end... This isn't targeted at you btw - its a common thing I've noticed from fans which seem to think a bad call in the 4th is apparently worse than a multiple bad calls in the first 3 quarters

Excuse for looking flat or not beating Richmond by 10 goals which I'm sure a lot of Carlton fans thought they would. But you are right, they did have a big block of training in the lead up to Round 0 which is called the pre-season.

Think you need to give Richmond more credit. They still have plenty of talent across all lines 14 premiership players I believe it was. They will beat some good sides this year.

Any Carlton supporter that was confident in us beating anyone by 10 goals must not have been following Carlton for very long. We very rarely beat teams convincingly

Young was more concerned with Lynch than the ball so yes it was a rough free kick being so close to goal but probably there.

The only problem I have is Gibcus doing the exact same thing to Kennedy up the other end only 2 minutes later where he actually chopped his arms causing him to juggle and ultimately drop the mark, no free kick paid. Was more interested in obstructing Kennedy than going for the ball.

Zero consistency between on field umpires and zero consistency from quarter to quarter. No wonder fans get frustrated.

Back