Rumour Real reason Sydney got trade ban.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans cannot complain, they got to offer Tippet $320,000 extra that other clubs couldn't offer him and Franklin close to a million dollars of living allowance.

Farce.

No sympathy from any person interested in a level playing field.

I missed this thread first time round, so I'll add my two cents...

I have a friend in recruiting, who spotted me a free ticket for the prelim last year.

When I went to get my ticket, he told me which trades between teams were done, (few) and which were still to fall over the line (many), he said the same as the OP; Ryder was going to be a Swan.

(All his 'done deals' were later 100% when the pretence was over in November)

I missed this thread first time round, so I'll add my two cents...

I have a friend in recruiting, who spotted me a free ticket for the prelim last year.

When I went to get my ticket, he told me which trades between teams were done, (few) and which were still to fall over the line (many), he said the same as the OP; Ryder was going to be a Swan.

(All his 'done deals' were later 100% when the pretence was over in November)
I am not sure that your mate is 100% on that one although thinking about it logically it would make sense. Elliot Kavanagh was very close to being shifted over to Sydney and would have been if Sydney had not received the sanctions (God knows why! I would have thought they could have made that part of the sanctions). My mail is that Port had him pretty much locked in half way through the year. The media leak prior to the finals when he was in Brisbane for a wedding was more about Paul Connors trying to leverage a better deal. Also, the official excuse for him leaving is a massive load of crap. People at the club know the real reasons. All I can say is happy wife, happy life.

I am not sure that your mate is 100% on that one although thinking about it logically it would make sense. Elliot Kavanagh was very close to being shifted over to Sydney and would have been if Sydney had not received the sanctions (God knows why! I would have thought they could have made that part of the sanctions). My mail is that Port had him pretty much locked in half way through the year. The media leak prior to the finals when he was in Brisbane for a wedding was more about Paul Connors trying to leverage a better deal. Also, the official excuse for him leaving is a massive load of crap. People at the club know the real reasons. All I can say is happy wife, happy life.

We were banned from trading outright initially. It was only softened to banning players on $360k+ after the trade period.

I still don't understand why Sydney received the sanctions. What was it for?
Because we were too good at using the rules allowed to us, to their full advantage.

Eddie & all other club presidents agreed that we needed the CoLA in the early days but we were supposed to stay sh.t so the Pies could beat up on us.

We broke the rules by winning the 2012 flag when we had NO right to as that belonged to the Hawks.

Because we were too good at using the rules allowed to us, to their full advantage.

Eddie & all other club presidents agreed that we needed the CoLA in the early days but we were supposed to stay sh.t so the Pies could beat up on us.

We broke the rules by winning the 2012 flag when we had NO right to as that belonged to the Hawks.
Well. When you managed to fit the two highest profile free agents in under your cap allowance it did appear the the cola was allowing y'all too much of an unfair advantage. They have phased that out which is fair enough but it does not explain why Sydney was prevented from trading. You do get a good run with scholarship kids as well to be fair.

Well. When you managed to fit the two highest profile free agents in under your cap allowance it did appear the the cola was allowing y'all too much of an unfair advantage. They have phased that out which is fair enough but it does not explain why Sydney was prevented from trading. You do get a good run with scholarship kids as well to be fair.

Did also have retirements, de listings and trades that freed up some room in the salary cap.

Should've just kept turning s**t players into premiership players and stars.

Getting rid of COLA is fine, but placing a limit on how much the Swans can pay someone is just asking for a restraint of trade proceeding, or something. As long as the Swans do it under the cap it should not be a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting rid of COLA is fine, but placing a limit on how much the Swans can pay someone is just asking for a restraint of trade proceeding, or something. As long as the Swans do it under the cap it should not be a problem.

Haha, the swans will never take any action against the AFL. You never bite the hand that feeds you!

They have phased that out which is fair enough but it does not explain why Sydney was prevented from trading. You do get a good run with scholarship kids as well to be fair.
What on Earth are you talking about? The scholarship program hasn't been around for over half a decade and we didn't even get the best player out of it.

Thanks for your support cryptor. I'll summarise the situation as briefly as I can.

Effectively we have been penalised because we "stole" Tippett from Brisbane and "stole" Franklin from GWS. The simple fact is that we were a more attractive option than other club in each given situation and we were able to do so only because we were prepared to sacrifice some of our current list. Tippett came to us because we were closer to a premiership than Lions and Buddy came to us because we were closer to Jessinta than GWS.

The AFL has read too much into this and panicked. Under the pressure of McGuire, Newbold and Gordon the AFL has slammed the brakes on Swans development and removed the COLA.

It's one thing to have the COLA removed, but to do so with only two years notice is absolutely unconscionable. How is a club supposed to reduce its salary cap by 9% within two years without slashing and burning it's medium-long term development (or sustainability for that matter) when they have done nothing wrong?

This situation is an absolute disgrace and the AFL should be absolutely ashamed as to how they have been "played" by the the "interested" parties.

How are you being penalised when simply the massive advantages gifted to the Swans are being phased out?

Operate within the same rules as every other established club. Is that a penalty?

Simple fix. Get rid of Tippett on that ridiculous contract and the Swans will be just fine without COLA at the end of 2016.

It must really hurt having the gravy train stopped when the club wasted so much on a dud like Tippett.

COLA KARMA coming home to roost maybe?

Looks like the Swans are heading a traditional rebuild slump like every other team has endured.:thumbsu:

And don't even bring up "what about the games development in NSW". I'm sure the Giants will help keep a Sydney side playing finals over the next few years.

Ease up m8. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story & f$&k there are some pretty good story tellers round here.

I like the one about the Swans putting in all the money.

When the AFL and then big corporates foot most of the bill. The sponsors throw money into junior development to sell their brand. Have a look at every other state academy, they are also sponsored by corporate dollars and the AFL with clubs also putting in time and money. But those clubs don't get any advantages.

The draft itself could get taken to court

I like the one about the Swans putting in all the money.

When the AFL and then big corporates foot most of the bill. The sponsors throw money into junior development to sell their brand. Have a look at every other state academy, they are also sponsored by corporate dollars and the AFL with clubs also putting in time and money. But those clubs don't get any advantages.

Yes Stephen King.

How are you being penalised when simply the massive advantages gifted to the Swans are being phased out?
Operate within the same rules as every other established club. Is that a penalty?
Simple fix. Get rid of Tippett on that ridiculous contract and the Swans will be just fine without COLA at the end of 2016.
It must really hurt having the gravy train stopped when the club wasted so much on a dud like Tippett.
COLA KARMA coming home to roost maybe?
Looks like the Swans are heading a traditional rebuild slump like every other team has endured.:thumbsu:
And don't even bring up "what about the games development in NSW". I'm sure the Giants will help keep a Sydney side playing finals over the next few years.

Wow. You WA people really are dumb aren't you. "Operate within the same rules as every other established club". Were you or any other club banned from trading players? No. Therefore we were treated unfairly. Why should we be banned from trading a midfielder for a KPD of equal or lessor value? The AFL argument that it was protecting us from breaching the cap is crap. If that's the case then everyone should be banned incase they breach the cap.

I have no issue with COLA being removed. My issue is how they removed it. To remove it over a two year period when the average contract is three years in unconscionable (I'm happy to explain what that means if you like) and was clearly designed to hinder us because they were fearful that we wre going to dominate for the next few years. If that's the case they should be putting a trading ban on Hawthorn.

Why did they cop the sanction though?
The AFL were going to take away COLA after the Swans used it to get Buddy (the AFL wanted Buddy at GWS). The Swans said "You can't take it away straight away, we have players on contracts that that money is going to" the AFL said fair enough, you can have two years. Then the AFL got wind that the Swans were going to land a third big-dollar player (ie, they were full of s**t in saying all the additional money was for existing contracts) so the AFL put their foot down. No more trades unless you ditch COLA immediately.

That's one thing that needs to be remembered in all of this, the Swans can trade if they agree to ditching COLA straight away.

The AFL were going to take away COLA after the Swans used it to get Buddy (the AFL wanted Buddy at GWS). The Swans said "You can't take it away straight away, we have players on contracts that that money is going to" the AFL said fair enough, you can have two years. Then the AFL got wind that the Swans were going to land a third big-dollar player (ie, they were full of s**t in saying all the additional money was for existing contracts) so the AFL put their foot down. No more trades unless you ditch COLA immediately.
'
Can you provide some sources showing the Swans misused the CoLA in order to pay Buddy? The AFL certainly hasn't said as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back