Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep thanks Colonials for saving us savages from our own dangerous culture :rolleyes:. Some people just make me lose faith in the world.
I'm not a colonial and the only person who used the word savage or dangerous was you.

I assume that you've gone for sarcasm in the absence of any factual objections to my post....

is that your defence when police charge you for child pr0n after finding pictures of 13 year olds on your computer

Bit odd you introduce that into this thread? o_O At any rate you are conflating child pr0n which is a catch-all description, with labeling the offender a "pedophile" -- which would be technically incorrect terminology if they, as you stated, had 13 year olds on their computer.

Its semantics but is the legal definition.

Because Michael Long has been far more discreet in his dealings. Long and Monkhorst came together behind closed doors before doing their presser. He didn't make a scene about it right then and there on the field. I also don't recall Michael Long using inflammatory remarks or actions to get his point across.
Michael Long walked away from the initial mediation and was critical of the AFL until they created rule 30. He copped plenty of backlash over not just leaving it on the field.

I also like how you prefer Long's method because you believed he was quiet and discreet about it, and didn't make an issue about it on the field. Says a fair bit.

Most Australians are proud of it. Which is why Goodes' hypocritically accepting an award from a public body and then using his speech to question the founding of the state was so inappropriate. Indigenous Australians have longer lives, better health and educational and life outcomes far in excess of anything they could have dreamed of before the founding of Australia. Goodes has benefited more than most.

If he wants to criticise the founding of the country he should choose a more appropriate forum. Obama said it well recently to a protestor at the White House. "if guests are "eating the hors d'oeuvres and drinking the booze," they're typically expected to listen respectfully."
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/24/politics/obama-heckler-white-house-lgbt/

My ancestors were forced from their homes on trumped up charges as the English forced the most hostile Scots out of the Highlands, and then on trumped up charges sent them and the starved Irish as convicts to the other end of the world to work as slave labour in a hellish prison camp, wiping out the native people of the area who weren't seen as relevant enough to warrant considering whether there was any right for the colonialists to set up and destroy their land.

I'm proud that from such a horrific and unjust event a pretty great nation is now established, but I think anyone who is proud of the horrors along the way is kidding themselves. It is worth remembering that on any and all Australia Days.

I've listened to the speech twice now and am still trying to find where he insinuated anything you claim

Me too, I've watched the speech and he didnt say anything controversial when accepting the award. Pretty clear people are posting here without even knowing any facts.

Funny that someone can be offended by something that didnt happen...

I'm not a colonial and the only person who used the word savage or dangerous was you.

I assume that you've gone for sarcasm in the absence of any factual objections to my post....

Your suggestion that indigenous Australians and Adam Goodes should be somehow thankful for the founding of Australia is just preposterous. It was a landgrab, it stripped an entire culture(s) of their sovreignty, it stripped people of their culture, it's history is surrounded with all sorts of terrible behaviour and to suggest they as a people should be thankful is just ridiculous.

I have no love for Goodes and I don't really think of his opinion too highly but this notion that White Australia somehow saved these poor black souls is just such a backwards concept and if it still persists to this day then I bloody hope that as many people involved (including Goodes) can get the message out and tell their side of history.

Because Michael Long has been far more discreet in his dealings. Long and Monkhorst came together behind closed doors before doing their presser. He didn't make a scene about it right then and there on the field. I also don't recall Michael Long using inflammatory remarks or actions to get his point across.

We all know Goodes wanted that Nicky Winmar moment he just used a 13 year old girl to get it

I can imagine him now standing in front of the mirror practicing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My comprehension is fine. You were not using all the facts. Basically arguing from months ago logic.

1] Yes, I believe an extreme minority are insulted that an aboriginal thinks he can lecture society and bring "issues to light", and would feel the same about other players speaking, and people on Q&A.

I further think the majority is for a combination of on-field antics of his career and how he handles his racism stuff off field, that they boo him -- I also think racial issues have already been brought to light for decades and were being fixed long before Goodes came along, so at this point he ain't doing much but piss with the winds of change. (or into them depending how you feel on divisiveness)

2] What makes him, or anyone else think they can claim blanket statements like "all booing of him is racial" are true, therefore censor and suppress blocks of people from expression? Which those in this thread are suggesting outright, and those in the media are. It's a shame tactic being waged.

3] I don't get this one.... The media is going to bat for him hard? And have been at every turn? It's the people who are challenging him, and being forced to at football games where they weren't previously assumed to be racist.

The real problem here is people can't (including Adam) understand, comprehend or accept that a percentage of the crowd booing can both love indigenous peoples in general, cheering on their own, for all we know championing the majority of reconcililaton, and simultaenously hate one individual of that race, Adam Goodes for their variety of reasons.

Set aside just that the crowd are actually getting to him, and Jetta. They are shooting themselves in the foot letting that be known while they are trying for a top 4 spot.

This in no way is a football issue. What Adam has done by calling out that girl is highlight that the racial issues you believe were being fixed probably aren't as '"fixed" as people hoped they would be. What he has done is in no way divisive if you can see where the motivations for his stance come from.
its a good thing it has ignited debate on an issue that has floundered for years. Kevin 07s apology was just paying lipservice to the extreme left in his party which whom he needed to maintain power.

Goodes is trying to effect societal change, which is not a bad thing. He has made people uncomfortable with his comments and actions that has drawn people away from their first world problems.

More people like him are needed. For too long Australians have become comfortable with what they have, ignorant to issues surrounding them. Expecting that any issue is "being taken care of". Good on him to show some balls whatever the platform he chooses to do it on.

And you know what, Australia has responded poorly!

There's no doubt a lot of the boos are related to his diving/staging on the field, but if it was just that then it doesn't explain why he gets boo'd so much more than other players that are much worse culprits (Thomas, Selwood etc.). The reason he cops it the worst is because he's outspoken and speaks his mind on some controversial issues in public. It's the same as any whistleblower, or anyone standing up for their rights. The mob mentality loves to attack anyone that speaks outside the fold and it's a massive issue in our society.

Boo him when he dives, boo every player when they dive if that riles you up, but booing him because everyone else is because he's Adam Goodes just makes you a complete flog.

If you think Goodes is divisive, you'd have been one of the people shrieking about how Long on talk back radio after his run in with the AFL.

Tell me though, what is the difference between how Long presented himself in the Monkhurst / AFL incident and how Goodes has?
there was huge backlash against Long at the time, with most saying he just should put up and shutup. We now look back and say what Long did was the right thing as we will with Goodes in time.

Michael Long walked away from the initial mediation and was critical of the AFL until they created rule 30. He copped plenty of backlash over not just leaving it on the field.

I also like how you prefer Long's method because you believed he was quiet and discreet about it, and didn't make an issue about it on the field. Says a fair bit.

I didn't say he was quiet about it. He most certainly was not. He also did cop plenty of backlash. Yes, he went head to head with the AFL. He handled it with the right level of tact and discretion. A level that changed some things for the better. Which is why he emerged from the backlash with a new level of respect.

We're talking about a 13 year old
And in law - you are not an adult until you turn 18.
There's quite a clear definition here - one you may wish to familiarise yourself with
She's a child
Goodes didn't know her age

so if she was 17 you would still stick by the term "child" and use that to ridicule Goodes?

Goodes didn't know her age

so if she was 17 you would still stick by the term "child" and use that to ridicule Goodes?

I swear I didn't know she was 13, again.

Listen to a child's voice. There is no ambiguity. It's a child.

There's no doubt a lot of the boos are related to his diving/staging on the field, but if it was just that then it doesn't explain why he gets boo'd so much more than other players that are much worse culprits (Thomas, Selwood etc.). The reason he cops it the worst is because he's outspoken and speaks his mind on some controversial issues in public. It's the same as any whistleblower, or anyone standing up for their rights. The mob mentality loves to attack anyone that speaks outside the fold and it's a massive issue in our society.

Boo him when he dives, boo every player when they dive if that riles you up, but booing him because everyone else is because he's Adam Goodes just makes you a complete flog.

Totally agree. The people who claim they're booing him just because he's a "flog" are fooling themselves. If he were being booed solely for diving/sniping then Selwood, Johnson, Thomas, Lewis and many others would receive similar treatment. Goodes is the only one that gets it from the opening bounce so there's clearly something deeper there. I've argued it's a mixture of herd mentality, hatred/fear of the outspoken, dislike of his footy tactics and genuine racism. I've yet to see someone who is proud of the booing come up with an explanation that sways me.

And the other people saying that he is only booed because he's a "dirty player." Some people man. Give me a spell.

He is a diver. Thomas gets booed for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back