Test Rugby 2015 Rugby World Cup Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that was one of the most entertaining games of the tournament. Some great tries from both teams. Argentina pulled away at the end but Tonga were right in the game for most of it. They'd have been ahead mid way through the 2nd half if their kicker hadn't missed something like 13 points.

Maradonna was loving it!

It's certainly been a great world cup. In Japan they've had massive ratings since they beat South Africa. 25 million against Samoa apparently! It'd be great for world rugby if Samoa could knock off Scotland and give Japan the chance to make the quarters by beating USA.

What's the equation for the Japanese? They might make history and become the first team to win three games at a world cup without making the quarters. That would suck.

What's the equation for the Japanese? They might make history and become the first team to win three games at a world cup without making the quarters. That would suck.

They'd need Samoa to beat Scotland and then they'd have to beat USA. If Scotland were to draw (and not get a bonus point) or get 2 bonus points in a loss, then Japan would need to win with a bonus point against the US.

But Samoa have been rubbish in this tournament so it's a slim chance.

Quarter Finals Draw
Q1- South Africa v Wales
Q2- New Zealand v France
Q3- Ireland v Argentina
Q4- Australia v Scotland

Semis
Winner Q1 v Winner Q2
Winner Q3 v Winner Q4

New Zealand vs France in Cardiff with the All Blacks in their away strip in a World Cup Quarter Final - we've been here before haven't we:D

Yep, France haven't looked that good but they've probably looked better than they did in 2011 before the final! And NZ haven't been very impressive so far. If this was a regular November match NZ would probably win by 20. But in a world cup who knows!

I think Argentina have a great chance against Ireland. Ireland will be missing a few key players and Argentina have looked very dangerous. Plus Ireland have never made a world cup semi final. They're under more pressure IMO. If Argentina can keep their discipline then I think they'll win, but that's a big if. Ireland aren't very inspiring but they're very well coached and can execute a game plan better than anyone.

Ireland appear to have lost the two players in POD and Sexton that they least could afford to lose, would expect Argentina to go though. In fact I think the semis will be a Rugby Championship showcase

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one thing that's making me a bit nervous is that Australia didn't seem to have a "plan B" when the Welsh were rushing them in defence. I know they've that said it's something they will work on in the week, but you would like to see a contingency plan being called on the fly during play.

On the other side of the coin, should the Wallabies consider resting Folau and Pocock?

Last edited:
Anyone else in London Going to the Aus V Scotland match, if yes send me a PM we can gets some beers after the match in celebration or commiseration.

France weren't good, especially from the moment they got the yellow card. And their lineout was so bad it made it impossible for them to get enough possession.

But yeah the All Blacks were scarily good. Hard to see South Africa beating them on their form this tournament, they just don't do enough with the ball. They'll make the AB's work for it a lot harder than the French did though.

SA are average and highly overated, only got past the Welsh thanks to a dodgey call. Cant wait to see NZ trounce them.
We should win comfortably tonight and tipping the Irish to do similar.
Would set up a cracking semi, the Irish can upset the best when they are on song, reckon it would be a corker

France weren't good, especially from the moment they got the yellow card. And their lineout was so bad it made it impossible for them to get enough possession.

But yeah the All Blacks were scarily good. Hard to see South Africa beating them on their form this tournament, they just don't do enough with the ball. They'll make the AB's work for it a lot harder than the French did though.
I thought they were okay when they were a man down, only gave up one try. But All Blacks scored sooner after and that broke their back. After that the flood gates opened. We were brutal on turnovers. Also, kicking was near flawless, so many perfectly placed kicks.

It's always interesting to see how France flounder whenever they're expected to put on a performance. They only seem to rise to the occasion whenever no-one expects. But now too many times at the rugby world cup, France have pulled out an upset, teams are better prepared and expecting it, subsequently any strengths they may have are being negated, they've certainly lost their element of surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back