Games & Recreation Photography: Who's into it what Camera and Lens do you have and show us some of pictures thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just bought the sigma 150-600mm lens, wife won't let me have it until Xmas, it's killing me seeing it there under the tree especially when I've seen two wedge tailed Eagles on my way to work this last week
Ive used the tamron one and if the sigma one is as good u will luv it. Get a monopod if u dont have one..it's a must

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Dice Man, I'm heading to that part of the world next year. What did you think of Bratislava?
Lovely photos btw!

Good for a day or two. Small city, very cheap food and beer and spirits but all of their beers are around 11-12 %. We got a bus back to Vienna for about 7€ so it's super cheap to get to and from.

I'm trying to load some better pics but they just won't upload

If anyone is into astrophotrgraphy, head out late tonight or early morning and look northwest toward the Gemini constellation, the geminid meteor shower is happening and because of no moon it is expected to put on a show of possibly 100+ meteors an hour

If anyone is into astrophotrgraphy, head out late tonight or early morning and look northwest toward the Gemini constellation, the geminid meteor shower is happening and because of no moon it is expected to put on a show of possibly 100+ meteors an hour
Supposed to start in Victoria about 11pm but build up to its peak in the hour just before the sunrise. I was going to stay up late but I'm buggered. Hopefully can get my arse out of bed in the morning to catch the shower.

Supposed to start in Victoria about 11pm but build up to its peak in the hour just before the sunrise. I was going to stay up late but I'm buggered. Hopefully can get my arse out of bed in the morning to catch the shower.
yeah I stayed up until 11, but it was very cloudy, I enjoy my sleep too much to get up at 4 to try and photograph it, maybe next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you not a photographer?
Not really. I do photography at school on account of the fact that I have a dSLR and that I'm not important enough to actually be part of events. I know basic stuff about photography but not sure how I'll pad out a whole semester worth of stuff. I think a lot of the course is based on editing and compiling photos once they've been taken, but working with Photoshop is not my strong point.

If anyone knows of any good photoshop tutorials I can find online then that'd be amazing.

DSC_0557_1.jpg

Not really. I do photography at school on account of the fact that I have a dSLR and that I'm not important enough to actually be part of events. I know basic stuff about photography but not sure how I'll pad out a whole semester worth of stuff. I think a lot of the course is based on editing and compiling photos once they've been taken, but working with Photoshop is not my strong point.

If anyone knows of any good photoshop tutorials I can find online then that'd be amazing.
Photo selection and post processing are just as important as taking good photos.

There are quite a few PS tutorials on YouTube but unless you really need to take advantage of the layers within PS I'd recommend Lightroom for most post processing - will speed up your work flow massively.

Good luck.

So I'm teaching a year 9 digital photography class next year. Anyone got any ideas?
I didn't do photography in school but had mates that did. I'm 31 now so it was a while ago. Does your school loan/borrow cameras to the students or are they required to use their own camera?

Probably spend some time early on teaching them the basics of being able to set up manually, then give them projects outside of class or take them on excursions around school during class with specific types of shots to capture.

As black shadow said post processing is a big part of shooting in raw. +1 for Lightroom. It's complex enough to really emphasise the different tweaks within a photo, but not overwhelming like Photoshop.

Photo selection and post processing are just as important as taking good photos.

There are quite a few PS tutorials on YouTube but unless you really need to take advantage of the layers within PS I'd recommend Lightroom for most post processing - will speed up your work flow massively.

Good luck.
Sat down with the previous teacher a couple of days back. We are using CS3 due to cost restriction and don't have Lightroom.

Went through a bit of stuff and the course includes manipulating layers, so we will be using photoshop for the most part

I didn't do photography in school but had mates that did. I'm 31 now so it was a while ago. Does your school loan/borrow cameras to the students or are they required to use their own camera?

Probably spend some time early on teaching them the basics of being able to set up manually, then give them projects outside of class or take them on excursions around school during class with specific types of shots to capture.

As black shadow said post processing is a big part of shooting in raw. +1 for Lightroom. It's complex enough to really emphasise the different tweaks within a photo, but not overwhelming like Photoshop.
We have a class set of point and shoot cameras that will be used. The previous teacher has allowed phones to be used but I want to stick with the class set so everyone has the same equipment.

We do a walk around school fairly early in the piece to get them thinking about different shot types.

I must say I am more confident now after spending 3 hours with the previous teacher going through PS basics. The course will take care of itself, and in the end, I'm Te only one teaching it so if there's something I'm not comfortable with, I'll just remove it from the course

Good Evening all.

I'm after a bit of advice and direction because I'm clueless at the moment.

I've wanted to get into photography for years, my parents have recently moved to a property with magnificent views and my three year old mobile phone just isn't doing the job anymore. I would love something that can take decent city skyline/pretty lights on the horizon shots day and night (approx 25km+) & long exposure shots as well. Somewhat specific I know but it's killing me that I have nothing to take a decent shot with. But photography in general really interests me and not everything will be kilometers away.

I'm looking for a camera that will do the above, allow me to get my feet wet and I can use to learn more about photography. Budget of sub $500, don't care if it's used if it gets me more bang for my buck as long as it's in decent condition.

I don't know if any of this is realistic or too much to ask for on my budget. I have no idea whatsoever about what I should be looking for and I don't want to get conned into something not appropriate or buying somebody else's mistake.

I'm at your mercy. If anybody can offer any suggestions or things I should be looking for or considering, I will be eternally grateful.

Good Evening all.

I've wanted to get into photography for years, my parents have recently moved to a property with magnificent views and my three year old mobile phone just isn't doing the job anymore. I would love something that can take decent city skyline/pretty lights on the horizon shots day and night (approx 25km+) & long exposure shots as well. Somewhat specific I know but it's killing me that I have nothing to take a decent shot with. But photography in general really interests me and not everything will be kilometers away.

I'm looking for a camera that will do the above, allow me to get my feet wet and I can use to learn more about photography. Budget of sub $500, don't care if it's used if it gets me more bang for my buck as long as it's in decent condition.

I don't know if any of this is realistic or too much to ask for on my budget. I have no idea whatsoever about what I should be looking for and I don't want to get conned into something not appropriate or buying somebody else's mistake.

I'm at your mercy. If anybody can offer any suggestions or things I should be looking for or considering, I will be eternally grateful.
You could look at getting a bridging camera, I own the LUMIX fz150 and it was great for getting me into photography without purchasing a dslr. Since purchasing my first dslr I've learnt it's more about the lens you use rather than the camera itself. If I had my time again I would buy just a camera body and get the lenses I wNt rather than the twin lens kit. The twin lens kit is good but to get better star shots I bought a fast wide angle tokina lens which cost around $800 and for Xmas I got a 150-600mm zoom lens so bird and kids sports as well as moon shots and that was a $1200 lens

Good Evening all.

You could look at getting a bridging camera, I own the LUMIX fz150 and it was great for getting me into photography without purchasing a dslr. Since purchasing my first dslr I've learnt it's more about the lens you use rather than the camera itself. If I had my time again I would buy just a camera body and get the lenses I wNt rather than the twin lens kit. The twin lens kit is good but to get better star shots I bought a fast wide angle tokina lens which cost around $800 and for Xmas I got a 150-600mm zoom lens so bird and kids sports as well as moon shots and that was a $1200 lens

Great idea on the bridging camera. If you're really keen to get into learning photography with a good camera why not look for something second hand?

I'd suggest a Canon 5D - they are beautiful cameras and will do a sterling job for learning photography and they give sensational results. Second hand the body should be somewhere between $3-500 - they may not have the MP or high ISO performance of some of the newer consumer cameras but the image quality they produce is stellar. Pair it up with a Sigma 35mm f1.4 lens (should be able to pick one up for around $5-600), flash and a tripod and you'll have a wonderful setup for everything you mentioned.

If the Sigma 35mm lens is too expension look for the Canon 50mm f1.8 (aka nifty 50) - it's a cheap lens but it's very good bang for the buck.

If you decide that photography is your thing you'll be able to add to your gear collection over time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back