Essendon Football Club Punishment

The one for me is that Essendon can not benefit somewhat from having 12 players suspended by finishing lower and getting a better draft pick in the first round. I think their first rounder goes to 18 and the rest can stay as they are.
"benefit"

Hahaha that's outstanding.

The AFL have just outright stated that they punished EFC and it is done. It's pretty simple really.

The AFL made their bed by pre-emptively punishing EFC in 2013. But they did, and it is utterly ridiculous to think EFC should be punished twice on the basis of having their due process violated in the first instance.

I find it remarkable how people can't understand this frankly. If the AFL wanted to punish EFC early they couldn't simultaneously prejudice their eventual hearing
I like Malifices point about retrospectively admitting this but no way they will. I agree with you

Do you think the club will clean out anyone else?

I like Malifices point about retrospectively admitting this but no way they will. I agree with you

Do you think the club will clean out anyone else?
but they have retrospectively admitted it by the simple statement that it is what it is. Maybe you guys would like it more explicit but with all due respect it's a bit naive to think it would happen when it doesn't need to and where message is king

Getting a high draft pick is a benefit for finishing lower. Your lower position will be due to having so many players suspended, why do you deserve a better pick as a result of being guilty of doping?
because in the event we get it the penalties were so severe they meant we finished on the bottom of the ladder... sheesh, it's obvious isn't it? It's not a benefit to have a year wiped out and finish last

The AFL made their bed by pre-emptively punishing EFC in 2013. But they did, and it is utterly ridiculous to think EFC should be punished twice on the basis of having their due process violated in the first instance.

Im not sure how a negotiated settlement agreed to by EFC is violating due process.

We copped a worse punishment for breaching the salary cap than EFC did for a systemic doping regime thats affected a number of AFL clubs, negatively affected the lives and careers of dozens of young men, caused international disrepute to the competition, and dragged on for years. We lost more picks than you blokes, and a 1 million dollar fine 15 years ago was worth a lot more than a 2 million buck fine today.

Objectively what EFC did was much morse than what we did, yet the punishment for the club is softer. Thats what irks me.

I don't see the point of punishing the club on top of what happened in 2013 and now. Whether what has happened was enough is up for debate but it has happened. I think those associated with what happened should either be banned from a football club board or coaches involved should face sanctions but the club itself shouldn't lose its draft pick, even if it is the result of the suspensions. It is going to be a really s**t year for Bomber fans and it wasn't them who initiated the injection regime, at least let them have the second draft pick when they finish 17th this year.

Im not sure how a negotiated settlement agreed to by EFC is violating due process.

We copped a worse punishment for breaching the salary cap than EFC did for a systemic doping regime thats affected a number of AFL clubs, negatively affected the lives and careers of dozens of young men, caused international disrepute to the competition, and dragged on for years. We lost more picks than you blokes, and a 1 million dollar fine 15 years ago was worth a lot more than a 2 million buck fine today.

Objectively what EFC did was much morse than what we did, yet the punishment for the club is softer. Thats what irks me.
Depends how you value that, RBA inflation rate $1M in 2001 was equal to to 1,421,440.54 in 2014 - with an inflation rate of 2.7%

there's your problem I guess. You somehow don't see how it's violating due process to level a punishment for something that hasn't even had its investigation finalised.

And I realise it irks you, as a carlton supporter, that's what clouds your judgement and has done the whole journey

Surely the players don't get paid for their year off. They cheated ffs. What sort of penalty is it if they don't have to play but still get paid.
Pretty sure Saad had to sit out without pay and I'm pretty sure it's in the rules of wada u can't earn money from sports while u are banned. It's a joke if the players still get paid. There would also be no need for them to sue if the club pays their wages still.

there's your problem I guess. You somehow don't see how it's violating due process to level a punishment for something that hasn't even had its investigation finalised.

EFC agreed to it (and were even able to negotiate the punishment). You didnt have to. I struggle to see how thats a denial of due process.

And I realise it irks you, as a carlton supporter, that's what clouds your judgement and has done the whole journey

Clouds my judgement? I was spot on in the end about everything other than AOD.

Depends how you value that, RBA inflation rate $1M in 2001 was equal to to 1,421,440.54 in 2014 - with an inflation rate of 2.7%

Compare club revenue in 2000 with club revenue in 2013. A million hit to the pocket back then was far more crippling than two million is today.

EFC agreed to it (and were even able to negotiate the punishment). You didnt have to. I struggle to see how thats a denial of due process.

Clouds my judgement? I was spot on in the end about everything other than AOD.

Compare club revenue in 2000 with club revenue in 2013. A million hit to the pocket back then was far more crippling than two million is today.
agreed to it? If they didn't agree they would have lost Anzac day and played sunday twilight games for the next 3 years and god knows what else... lol

The AFL wanted EFC out of the 2013 finals series, and got them out, whilst the investigation was still going. They punished them before the trial. If you can't recognise this then hell yeah, your judgement is clouded.

agreed to it? If they didn't agree they would have lost Anzac day and played sunday twilight games for the next 3 years and god knows what else... lol

Possibly. But as we have already discussed the club got off relatively scott free compared to what Adelaide got for Tippett and what we got back in 2001.

The AFL wanted EFC out of the 2013 finals series, and got them out, whilst the investigation was still going. They punished them before the trial. If you can't recognise this then hell yeah, your judgement is clouded.

And now, with the benefit of hindsight you would take that and run. Agreed?

Possibly. But as we have already discussed the club got off relatively scott free compared to what Adelaide got for Tippett and what we got back in 2001.

And now, with the benefit of hindsight you would take that and run. Agreed?
but that's the point Malifice! The AFL weren't in a position to offer that. That's exactly the point. They thought they could negotiate a resolution and somehow ignore the independent oversight. And this is why I am mystified you can't understand a) how due process was denied because the penalty was leveled before the trial even started, before the investigation was even half concluded! and b) how manifestly unfair it would be then to punish EFC yet again for the same thing

but that's the point Malifice! The AFL weren't in a position to offer that. That's exactly the point. They thought they could negotiate a resolution and somehow ignore the independent oversight. And this is why I am mystified you can't understand a) how due process was denied because the penalty was leveled before the trial even started, before the investigation was even half concluded! and b) how manifestly unfair it would be then to punish EFC yet again for the same thing

for all your years trolling Richmond and other clubs from your self-righteous soapbox pedastool

OK. I agree.

Lets have a proper 'team doping' hearing now and see what the punishments are. You can deduct any penalties already served to make it fair.

I have a feeling that 2 million and a first round draft pick wouldnt even come close.

OK. I agree.

Lets have a proper 'team doping' hearing now and see what the punishments are. You can deduct any penalties already served to make it fair.

I have a feeling that 2 million and a first round draft pick wouldnt even come close.
what is a team doping hearing exactly? It's at the discretion of the AFL... What is so hard to understand about that? Who knows what they'd pick now. They chose to act when they did, and team based penalties have been leveled. Endy story.

what is a team doping hearing exactly? It's at the discretion of the AFL... What is so hard to understand about that? Who knows what they'd pick now. They chose to act when they did, and team based penalties have been leveled. Endy story.

Its end of story because Gill is looking after your team by exerszing his discretion to not pursue the club for doping charges (despite the biggest team based doping incident in the history of Australian sport). The AFL has looked after the EFC all the way through the saga, from the very first tip-off about the investigation, trying to wrangle a 'no fault' defence to changing the rules to allow you to field a side this year, and notwithstanding the EFC fought the AFL on this tooth and nail.

The club has gotten off very lightly indeed IMO.

Absolutely Essendon needs to be punished for cheating now. We all heard that the first penalties were handed out over 'governance' issues and did not mean Essendon were cheating. Well, now they are officially cheaters. The AFL must show that cheating via mass doping cannot go unpunished. I would suggest they throw out extremely harsh penalties (say a 5 million dollar fine, and 5 years draft penalties), then 'suspend' %80 of it, granted they clean up any staff members involved in covering up or muddying the waters. This way, it is only a relatively small penalty but gives great leverage over EFC should they decide to make Hird president.

Its end of story because Gill is looking after your team by exerszing his discretion to not pursue the club for doping charges (despite the biggest team based doping incident in the history of Australian sport). The AFL has looked after the EFC all the way through the saga, from the very first tip-off about the investigation, trying to wrangle a 'no fault' defence to changing the rules to allow you to field a side this year, and notwithstanding the EFC fought the AFL on this tooth and nail.

The club has gotten off very lightly indeed IMO.
ah well *shrugs*

Absolutely Essendon needs to be punished for cheating now. We all heard that the first penalties were handed out over 'governance' issues and did not mean Essendon were cheating. Well, now they are officially cheaters. The AFL must show that cheating via mass doping cannot go unpunished. I would suggest they throw out extremely harsh penalties (say a 5 million dollar fine, and 5 years draft penalties), then 'suspend' %80 of it, granted they clean up any staff members involved in covering up or muddying the waters. This way, it is only a relatively small penalty but gives great leverage over EFC should they decide to make Hird president.
hahaha "governance", it just keeps going

Back