Why is there a Fitzroy board?

Remove this Banner Ad

The still existing Fitzroy Football Club are a foundation member of the VFL-AFL, have one hundred years of history in the VFL-AFL competition, have eight premierships....

Fitzroy still has an impact on the modern AFL game. Former Royboys Ross Lyon, Ken Hinkley and Paul Roos are AFL coaches. Ken Hinkley started witb both at Fitzroy in the mid '80s. The club has also spawned three contemporary club chief executives - Gary Pert (Collingwood), Keith Thomas (Port Adelaide) and Carl Dilena (North). Michael Nettlefold(former CEO of St Kilda) was also a Roybot.

Matt Rendell is an ex-assistant coach and prominent recruiter, discarded by Adelaide and now at Collingwood. Scott Clayton (Gold Coast) is likewise a leader in the recruiting/list management trade. John Blakey is a senior assistant coach at Sydney, while Mick Conlan, is the chief executive of AFL Queensland. Alastair Lynch is a prominent Foxtel commentator.

Leon Harris heads up country division of development for the AFL, David Noble is head of football for the Adelaide Crows, Matthew Armstrong is the high performance manager of AFL Tasmania. Alan McConnell, (who didn't play but was twice a caretaker coach), is an assistant coach at Greater Western Sydney. Ross Thornton is a director at the Brisbane Lions, only the second Fitzroy player to serve in that role at the club.

What about Matt Primus at Gold Coast.

So there's a Fitzroy board because they were a team in the AFL and are now no longer in the AFL
There's no Brisbane Bears board because they are now the Brisbane Lions and there is no need to 2 boards
There is no South Melbourne board because they relocated to Sydney.
There's no University board because nobody alive would know or care about them.
Comprendo?

Wouldn't it of been nice if the AFL decided to invest that money and energy into resurrecting the Fitzroy club in the AFL rather than introducing 2 new clubs?

Demetriou you idiot. Would of loved to see that.

Would be awesome IF say, 10 years from now when AFL does decide to bring in a Tassie team that they also bring back Fitzroy as a seperate entity.. The question is, if Fitzroy was to return, what would there nickname be and would Brisbane have to rename themselves back to Bears?..

If Fitzroy had of gone 10 more years it probably wouldnt have been merged.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Would be awesome IF say, 10 years from now when AFL does decide to bring in a Tassie team that they also bring back Fitzroy as a seperate entity.. The question is, if Fitzroy was to return, what would there nickname be and would Brisbane have to rename themselves back to Bears?..

Won't happen...stupid idea. Fitzroy were crap. They merged with the Brisbane Football Club and are part of their history. Don't you know the history of the AFL?

Won't happen...stupid idea. Fitzroy were crap. They merged with the Brisbane Football Club and are part of their history. Don't you know the history of the AFL?
Feel free to piss off any time mate.

Seems like you don't.

Totally missed the mark here. Insensitive comments.

Fitzroy won't move from the VAFA now. The suburb is too gentrified and the supporter based is far too small to warrant being resurrected on a state level, let alone national.

Having said that, every year which passes the Brisbane Lions become less Fitzroy and more BrisVegas. Very sad for those diehards who wish things were different but professional football continues to change at a rapid pace.

Yes but a nice idea. Fitzroy are real football followers history, they are a football team, my friends as I've said before (I have 2 close friends born and bred in the suburb and when Fitzroy left they left) they don't really follow the game their club does not exist.

I would love to see Fitzroy back in the AFL, especially after the diluting of the game by GC17 and GWS, I would have the Roys back before those two ever existed, Plastic clubs made up for TV money, and I'll never stop saying it!

Totally missed the mark here. Insensitive comments.

Fitzroy won't move from the VAFA now. The suburb is too gentrified and the supporter based is far too small to warrant being resurrected on a state level, let alone national.

Having said that, every year which passes the Brisbane Lions become less Fitzroy and more BrisVegas. Very sad for those diehards who wish things were different but professional football continues to change at a rapid pace.

Speaking of diehards Brisvegas may die hard anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would a Port Adelaide fan know about the history of the AFL? FYI, the AFL wanted your club in, and someone had to go. As Fitzroy were the ones struggling at the time, it was them. They were only a couple of million in the hole at the time, and the AFL could have helped them out, as they have others, and as the SANFL have with Port Adelaide. Many clubs in the interim have been in far worse financial situation than Fitzroy (including Port Adelaide), the Lions were just unlucky.

There will be less teams in Melbourne before their will ever be consideration to add another one. If the AFL were to increase the league to 20 teams it would be Tasmania and either Canberra, Sydney or NT that get the final team. In fact it would most likely stay at 18 teams with Melbourne teams relocated. I do not understand why they would even consider bringing back a team that had so few supporters and resources. Fitzroy will never ever be an AFL team again.

Fitzroy will never ever be an AFL team again.

Have to agree there. Even though Fitzroy Football Club still exists in their own right, that will remain solely in the context of metropolitan Melbourne or maybe at the most Victorian football. (VFL possibly). Fitzroy's re-birth as a football club continues apace and the club continues to increase its standing in metropolitan Melbourne football.

The Brisbane Lions are the guardians and representative of Fitzroy's history and contribution in the AFL competition.

Have to agree there. Even though Fitzroy Football Club still exists in their own right, that will remain solely in the context of metropolitan Melbourne or maybe at the most Victorian football. (VFL possibly). Fitzroy's re-birth as a football club continues apace and the club continues to increase its standing in metropolitan Melbourne football.

The Brisbane Lions are the guardians and representative of Fitzroy's history and contribution in the AFL competition.

Just saw this thread for the first time. Was sorry to see Fitzroy leave the AFL - had some great days at Junction Oval and always admired players like Quinlan, Wilson, and Conlan.

Good on you for continuing to celebrate the mighty RoyBoys' history.:thumbsu:

Just a question.
With some of the current AFL clubs getting their own stand alone VFL clubs in the last few yrs. And with my Saints getting a VFL team in 2017.
Ive heard talk of the current VFL system maybe changing. With the AFL teams in a reserves type comp again and the other teams such as Port Melb, Coburg etc going into their own league again.
If this happens would you Roy Boys supporters be happy for The Fitzroy football club to be reinstated in either of those future comps??
I always thought the so called 'merger' with Brissy was just a unfair take over bid by the AFL to make it easier for them to bring in new 'plastic' franchise clubs.
I know it would cost some coin. But with the millions poured in at TV rights time , surely a few bucks tipped in by the AFL to set you guys up in the VFL again would be the least they could do after what they did?
I enjoy the modern game but Im a bit of an old footy romantic i guess. The thought of going down to the newly developed Moorabbin in a few yrs and watching my Saints play the Fitzroy Lions wearing that magnificent jumper that you guys had would be freaking awesome.

And thats not a swipe at the Fitzroy Reds. Its been a great effort to keep the club going in some capacity:thumbsu:

Just a question.
With some of the current AFL clubs getting their own stand alone VFL clubs in the last few yrs. And with my Saints getting a VFL team in 2017.
Ive heard talk of the current VFL system maybe changing. With the AFL teams in a reserves type comp again and the other teams such as Port Melb, Coburg etc going into their own league again.
If this happens would you Roy Boys supporters be happy for The Fitzroy football club to be reinstated in either of those future comps??
I always thought the so called 'merger' with Brissy was just a unfair take over bid by the AFL to make it easier for them to bring in new 'plastic' franchise clubs.
I know it would cost some coin. But with the millions poured in at TV rights time , surely a few bucks tipped in by the AFL to set you guys up in the VFL again would be the least they could do after what they did?
I enjoy the modern game but Im a bit of an old footy romantic i guess. The thought of going down to the newly developed Moorabbin in a few yrs and watching my Saints play the Fitzroy Lions wearing that magnificent jumper that you guys had would be freaking awesome.

And thats not a swipe at the Fitzroy Reds. Its been a great effort to keep the club going in some capacity:thumbsu:
Would like it to happen - but it's not gonna - too much water has passed and the AFL aren't gonna happily shell out cash for it.

Could I just remind all visitors to this board that:

1) Fitzroy Football Club still exists. Fitzroy still has over 1100 members, 10 years after we were removed from the AFL. 2007 Fitzroy Football Club memberships will soon be out. www.fitzroyfc.com.au

2) Fitzroy were in the VFL-AFL competition for 100 years and we have plenty to talk about. 8 premierships and 8 Brownlows for a start.

3) Some of our former players still are involved in the AFL. For example
Senior coaches: Paul Roos(Syd), Ross Lyon (StK)
Assistant coaches John Blakey (Syd), Ken Hinkley (Gee).

4) And if you want a further present day connection, the 'Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club' (trading as the 'Brisbane Lions') also plays in the AFL. Fitzroy Football is still making the news and did so as recently as July 2006 and also in December 2004. The Fitzroy guernsey is still worn in the AFL (twice in 2005) and will be worn again, possibly in 2007.

Furthermore I move that any such thread-starters of this topic on this board be permantly banned from future posting on the Fitzroy board and the thread locked, or better yet, deleted.
I was bored, found this thread. Sorry to interrupt but really interesting history here and to see our coach Kenny was once a Fitzroy boy.

I was bored, found this thread. Sorry to interrupt but really interesting history here and to see our coach Kenny was once a Fitzroy boy.

For two clubs that never played against each other there are common connections both entities. including Ken Hinkley, Matthew Primus, Keith Thomas and premiership player Steve Paxman.

Never put his heart into it, and was pathetic, lazy....should give back the money.
Rough. Kicked 20 goals in his first season.

Sure he improved at Geelong but it took a couple of seasons. Perhaps you're demanding to much of a 20 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back