The beer thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My love of beer is quite well known around here so I thought I would start a thread about it. The aim is to have a forum in which we can discuss all things beer, such as favourite brews, good beer deals and which pubs have the best range. I have been known to derail the odd thread with beer discussion so hopefully this thread will help to prevent any further problems. It is also a chance to find some common ground between posters who might otherwise disagree on other issues. So only beer related topics please.

I will kick things off with a pretty sweet deal at Liquorland. Currently you can get a slab of James Boags Premium for $40. Whilst it's not the best beer in the world, it is 5%, which equates to 1.5 standard drinks. At $40 a slab that is 66 cents per standard drink. Great value!

*mods - I meant to post this is The Nest. Can you please move it?

My love of beer is quite well known around here so I thought I would start a thread about it. The aim is to have a forum in which we can discuss all things beer, such as favourite brews, good beer deals and which pubs have the best range. I have been known to derail the odd thread with beer discussion so hopefully this thread will help to prevent any further problems. It is also a chance to find some common ground between posters who might otherwise disagree on other issues. So only beer related topics please.

I will kick things off with a pretty sweet deal at Liquorland. Currently you can get a slab of James Boags Premium for $40. Whilst it's not the best beer in the world, it is 5%, which equates to 1.5 standard drinks. At $40 a slab that is 66 cents per standard drink. Great value!

*mods - I meant to post this is The Nest. Can you please move it?
Grolsch: Only real men can drink and pronounce it correctly.

I brew my own beer at home. About $30 will get you 55 odd bottles:thumbsu:

Although you think you may save money, you really just end up drinking more beer...

It's a win/win

I thought we had a beer thread already, but I guess Jmac would know better than me:)

Enjoy yourselves guys.
The only time I like beer is when I'm really hot on a stinking hot day and the beer is really really cold:p

I thought we had a beer thread already, but I guess Jmac would know better than me:)

Enjoy yourselves guys.
The only time I like beer is when I'm really hot on a stinking hot day and the beer is really really cold:p

An hour in the freezer is the go MG. Make sure you set an alarm though, nothing worse than a beer explosion.

Can't beat em off the ice jmac especially out camping adds another level of enjoyment

Absolutely. Love camping and the beers that go with it.

I hear if you make the ice out of salt water it lasts longer apparently

I freeze bottles of ice. If you pack them in tightly they will last a lot longer.

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yea I do the same come in handy for drinking water to and you can cut em open and belt em up for ice inJD and coke later in the evening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
20aaeab4c6df948f89ac4bab96c59deb.jpg

I camped at Beechworth with my family over new year and was lucky enough to spend the afternoon of New Year's Eve at the Bridge road Brewery. They brew a great range of beers, all on tap, along with a pretty decent menu. Pizzas are awesome. Liquorland are also stocking their Celtic red ale. At $23 a six pack it is a little pricey but goes down very nicely. The Bright Brewery is also excellent if you are up in the north east.

So many brewery's and so little time.

Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
I camped at Beechworth with my family over new year and was lucky enough to spend the afternoon of New Year's Eve at the Bridge road Brewery. They brew a great range of beers, all on tap, along with a pretty decent menu. Pizzas are awesome. Liquorland are also stocking their Celtic red ale. At $23 a six pack it is a little pricey but goes down very nicely. The Bright Brewery is also excellent if you are up in the north east.

So many brewery's and so little time.

Funny you should say that.
Over Xmas a mate of mine was up that way and recommended I try the same beer.

celtic-red-ale.png

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can never decide between Carlton and VB. It's weird that the two most popular local drops are my 2 favourite brews... I was born in the right place.

Serious question: why does a beer taste 10x better in good company?

I can never decide between Carlton and VB. It's weird that the two most popular local drops are my 2 favourite brews... I was born in the right place.

Serious question: why does a beer taste 10x better in good company?

Drinking is certainly more enjoyable with company.

Yeah I can't drink at home. I sit on it too long. There's no stopping me at the pub though especially if mates are there, apart from .05.

At risk of detailing my own thread I actually prefer a scotch at home. I love to hear to sound of clinking ice and the smell of single malt.

I'm a beer lover. Always looking for that new craft beer to try, particularly a hoppy pale ale. I'm partial to a Pilsner and if I don't want to remember last night, several IPA's.

I've set up a pretty serious home brew keeper. 4 beers on tap at once using corny kegs. I love making my own AG beer, just like cooking but much more rewarding when finished.

The beers I buy of the shelf would be Kosciusko Pale Ale, seriously good beer and any of the Sierra Navadas. The US do some great craft beer.

One thing that makes a hell of a lot of difference is the glass you use for craft beers. Some mates bought me a dozen of different beer glass types for my bday and they get a good workout come footy season.

Love the thread - nice one JMac

I'm a beer lover. Always looking for that new craft beer to try, particularly a hoppy pale ale. I'm partial to a Pilsner and if I don't want to remember last night, several IPA's.

I've set up a pretty serious home brew keeper. 4 beers on tap at once using corny kegs. I love making my own AG beer, just like cooking but much more rewarding when finished.

The beers I buy of the shelf would be Kosciusko Pale Ale, seriously good beer and any of the Sierra Navadas. The US do some great craft beer.

One thing that makes a hell of a lot of difference is the glass you use for craft beers. Some mates bought me a dozen of different beer glass types for my bday and they get a good workout come footy season.

Love the thread - nice one JMac

I have always wanted to brew my own beer but just don't have the room to do it. You are right about US beer, probably the best in the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back