Senior 10. Harry McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

hopefully he will be a Joe Daniher type... with a better kick.

This was the comparison I was thinking about as well.
I just hope he can get some footy under his belt in the second half of the year. Can't wait to see him play.

200cm kpf project players tend to worry me too but the good thing is Harry has already demonstrated his athletic ability and skill even with his huge height. A Joe Daniher type would be handy indeed.

I dont think he is a project player. I think he is legit

I hope he is a Tippet or Sinclair type who can ruck!

7 goals from their rucks on the weekend Sydney, that's the future of the game!

Paul Salmon was 206 cm and went alright at ff.

Over the years he often is used as example but he is more the exception rather than the rule. Traditionally dominant kpf have been 193-198 cm.

At least we know there are exceptions.

My main concern with Harry is his football ability and nous. We know he is athletic, but plenty of athletic types have failed over the journey.

Harry in his one game showed enough to suggest he is a natural forward. Wasn't on long before he hit the scoreboard to boot!
If his back holds out then we should be cooking with gas with Harry & Charlie up front.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Usually the guys who are athletes first and footballers second are dudd marks of the ball. Positioning and timing like that is hard to teach, whereas kicking and handballing are easier to learn. If Harry is plucking the ball at its highest point, that gives me hope he's a footballer.

Harry is a pretty tall boy alright and certainly looked taller than the 200cm he's listed at.
Put it this way; He's certainly taller than Gorringe who is listed at 200

As long as the height doesn't hinder the player development, Harry should end up a decent player for us.
Looked a real competitive specimen through the pre-season....not quite Curnow-level competitive, but not afraid to mix it with the big boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think he is a project player. I think he is legit
Yeah he probably is a far more natural footballer than I made him sound.

Ahh, the life of a jaded Blues fan :(

:(

Carlton has placed young forward Harry McKay on its long-term injury list.
McKay, 18, recently suffered a stress reaction in his lower back, which will continue to sideline him for approximately two months.

Head of Football Andrew McKay said the key position forward did not require surgery and had commenced rehabilitation for the injury.

I don't get why it takes so long for us to do this. He's been gone for a few weeks now and was expected form the get go to be 12 weeks away. LTI and rookie upgrade is 8 weeks minimum, so why wait 2-4 weeks? Is it purely about allowing players time to prove who's worthy of upgrade? I seem to recall us doing the same with one of Kreuz's long term injuries, but I'm fairly certain that was at a time when the players already had exposed form to be upgraded on.
Is it a player payment thing?
I'm guessing nobody really knows the right answer, but I'm curious. Thought it would be handy to have the player nominated ASAP in case they are needed.

I don't get why it takes so long for us to do this. He's been gone for a few weeks now and was expected form the get go to be 12 weeks away. LTI and rookie upgrade is 8 weeks minimum, so why wait 2-4 weeks? Is it purely about allowing players time to prove who's worthy of upgrade? I seem to recall us doing the same with one of Kreuz's long term injuries, but I'm fairly certain that was at a time when the players already had exposed form to be upgraded on.
I'm guessing nobody really knows the right answer, but I'm curious. Thought it would be handy to have the player nominated ASAP in case they are needed.

There is no hurry to put a player on the LTI list. Just have to do it 8 weeks before they are due back. As it stands there is nobody to elevate. Maybe someone will stand up over the next few weeks and get a game.

I think it might have something to do with:
1) Wanting to assess the actual severity of his injury
2) Wanting to see who steps up in the reserves
3) Wanting continuity on whoever we upgrade - if we wait until round 3 to upgrade a player - they can be upgraded until round 11 (8 weeks) at which point the mid season rookie upgrade comes into effect. Stops the cicumstance whereby we bring in a good player like Gallucci, only to have him set the world on fire but be unable to play midseason as McKay is off the LTI. Pretty sure it almost caught st kilda last year with lonie and saunders.

Over the years he often is used as example but he is more the exception rather than the rule. Traditionally dominant kpf have been 193-198 cm.

At least we know there are exceptions.

My main concern with Harry is his football ability and nous. We know he is athletic, but plenty of athletic types have failed over the journey.

Traditional KPF havent been the same height as the midfielders. Also the taller guys coming through seem much more mobile than in the past

I think the height of all teenagers has increased significantly in the past decade, this has meant the average midfielder has increased in size which in turn means the average key position player has also increased in size and 195cm would now be considered a minimum for a KPF.

The increase in height is about profiling and drafting.
Afl now hunts kids out with physical attributes to put them into development programs. The tac cup is especially guilty of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back