Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the previous page I said to Jonts that I reckon he is 6 to 8 weeks away from a genuine bag. In the game day thread, a couple of hours before the game I said it would be nice to see a mother's day massacare and Charlie kick a handful and maybe a bag. He is tracking nicely.

Dropped a couple sitters in the first, really could've been a 6 or 7 goal game for him. Definitely starting to find form.

Seemed to be leading too far under the ball in the first half. Hence his overhead reaching attempts.

I'm sitting back quietly at the moment with a smile on my face re Dixon. I predicted he would kick multiple bags and still think that will be the case.

All we heard after the trade had been done was about his glass ankles and he spent more time off the ground than on it. I don't know the exact numbers, but he hasn't missed a game, hasn't seemed to have any ankle issues, and hasn't looked like he's missed a beat.

Even as recently as a few weeks back when Gold Coast had won a couple games, we were hearing about their changed culture and how they got rid of the guys not willing to do the work.... I reckon that will end up being a bitter pill that hangs around for awhile as Charlie kicks on and Gold coast go the way of many other sides on the coast up there.

Seemed to be leading too far under the ball in the first half. Hence his overhead reaching attempts.

Reckon the wind had a fair impact. Ball was dropping short when kicking to the northern end.

Reckon the wind had a fair impact. Ball was dropping short when kicking to the northern end.
Nah, his timing isn't quite there...yet.

Nah, his timing isn't quite there...yet.

Agree generally, however Sunday would have been a prick of a day to show any development in that though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a Dingles he would be leading the Brownlow post in this thread?
I want to go and press the like button. :D

I was watching the NEAFL last night on NITV for 15 minutes and a game between Redland and Southport. It was ok but I got thinking Redland was a Qld team (playing Southport from the GC) and for a few minutes I thought it was Redcliffe a northern Brisbane beach side suburb which is a bit like Manly is to Sydney. But I kept thinking about it and knew that was wrong, so I looked up the NEAFL on wiki and clicked the Redland FC link. I saw that they are a Qld club and based in Redland City and I think, where the hell is that?? So I click on that link and see its the name of a council area south of Brisbane that includes several well known suburbs, it includes North Stradbroke Island, to their east is Logan City and to their south is the Gold Coast.

So I go back to the Redland FC page, read more about them and notice under the notable players it says Charlie Dixon - first player signed by the Suns. I have always read or people speak that Charlie is from Cairns, so I click on his wiki page link to find out more. It says Charlie at the end of 2007 after finishing school (he turned 17 in Sept 2007), moved down from Cairns to Brisbane with his older brother to look for work. The brothers got an invite out to play footy from Redland FC, and he started in their u/18's and made his way into the senior side throughout 2008. In August 2008 he was the first signing by the Suns, as they put a side into the TAC Cup comp in Victoria for 2009. He played for Qld in the U/18 championships and played well in their TAC side so he was taken as a Qld zone player for the Suns 2010 side in the VFL and officially goes through the draft system records as a 2009 Qld zone player.

From when I first saw him play in the Suns debut game v Carlton in 2011 I believed he was taken from Cairns. As I have written on big footy before, watching that first game I was envious that the GC had found such a big strong bastard who was now 20 years old and could move like a 6 footer not your usual 200cm player. I thought why don't our recruiters scour the country, like up in Cairns, looking for big kids so that we can finally recruit some decent KPF's with size like Charlie, not under sized skinny forward types who we might try as a KPF's.

It makes me wonder if Charlie stayed up in Cairns when he finished school, would he have been discovered by the Suns or anyone else? Would the Suns have sent their recruiters to check for players up there? Would word have got through the grapevine? Would he have played well enough to make the Qld U/18 side to become a draft prospect? Would the Rugby League scouts had a word to him to try league? What about the Cairns Taipans would they have chased him to give basketball a go. His parents were basketballers and Charlie played and made junior reps sides. I guess we are lucky that his older brother got him to play Aussie Rules for a local club when he was 12.

Am I showing ignorance by not knowing what a "fox stinger" is?
I saw that but felt I lost nothing by not knowing. Much too late I've become wary of those things I find out about and then cannot forget. Bubbling, pegging, why did I look these things up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back