Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely happy about this. It will help massively grow our popularity amongst the younger generations and families.

Can't wait to sign up my 6yo daughter and 4yo son as members. I've been hesitant to take them to a Freo game as it gets a bit feral as do I. I can see this being better suited to them.

I'll take any victory over West Coast. :D

For the record, the bids that missed out were: Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast,

Know the feeling.....if two flys were crawling up a wall and one had a wce colours and the other freo colours, I would be genuinely cheering for the freo fly!

Think this is a significant victory however as female afl is the fastest growing sport in Oz and will hopefully endear more females to support freo!

Genuinely happy about this. It will help massively grow our popularity amongst the younger generations and families.

Can't wait to sign up my 6yo daughter and 4yo son as members. I've been hesitant to take them to a Freo game as it gets a bit feral as do I. I can see this being better suited to them.
The WC v Freo women's match at Subiaco was a lovely spectacle with supporters cheering both sides.

Very friendly atmosphere. :)

There's a bit of salt on the Eagles' board about this. Apparently they'll be supporting the Adelaide side as a form of protest.

Only the man babies. I'll be onboard the Freo womens team for at least 2017. If the Eagles get a team in 2018 I may defect though :)

Checked out the West Coast board and their stance on the whole women's AFL is quite disappointing. Don't seem to want to see it grow and are more concerned about whether the girls are butch lesbians or not.

I see this as great in 2 ways 1) it promotes a clear pathway for females to get into AFL grow the sport among females and 2) it will help strengthen ties to our club and grow our supporter base.

Whilst I won't push her i would love for my daughter to grow the same passion I had as a youngster for playing footy.

I sympathize with them though as I wouldn't support a west coast team either and hopefully they can get a team in following years. Just hopefully they get the same kind of introduction as us with no handouts whilst we get a state team ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't know much about the bids, but had assumed that WCE would have been favourites to land the license before us based on membership and commercial performance of their club. Stoked that we landed it, kudos to the club for producing a compelling bid. Exciting times ahead.

Absolutely ecstatic by this decision and great to see Fremantle outdoing West Coast when it comes to this.

Even better is the chance of watching a Fremantle team in February/March because the men's team won't be travelling to Melbourne so this makes the summer a lot more interesting in a sporting sense.

Heres to thrashing GWS!

Good approach by the club, offers players a chance to immerse themselves in the football club, therefore hopefully using it as a platform to develop players that will become administrators, coaches and other football professionals, that will not only grow the Women's League around the country but will give more women a chance to get a foot in the door at the AFL as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back