Recommitted Michael Hurley?

Remove this Banner Ad

I won't keep going on about in fear of boring the readers:)...but F me Lance, since when did you lose faith in Dodo? was it his work last year with Carlisle.

You would have done very well out of Hurley just like any club does out of topliners.

Carlton should trade Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer and Simpson then, trade Murphy even if it is a 1st round pick in the teens and a 2nd round pick.

Either it was already put to bed, or it's still up for debate. Him signing doesn't prove or dis-prove anything.
like I said to you (I think) earlier - actually, if we get through this and not one single player makes use of this amazing magical get out clause that apparently exists then we can probably file it next to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny

I won't keep going on about in fear of boring the readers:)...but F me Lance, since when did you lose faith in Dodo? was it his work last year with Carlisle.

You would have done very well out of Hurley just like any club does out of topliners.

Come on man, Carlton had Kreuzer, Murphy and Gibbs all pick 1s, Walker a pick 2 and Judd a pick 3, and went nowhere.

like I said to you (I think) earlier - actually, if we get through this and not one single player makes use of this amazing magical get out clause that apparently exists then we can probably file it next to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny

If all the players choose to re-sign it will never have been tested.

If the players who leave are traded as normal then it would never have been tested (it actually may have been in this case, but not necessarily).

It not being used doesn't definitively mean that it doesn't exist.

If a trade fell through and the player in question didn't explore the use of this avenue, then yes, it could almost definitely be filed next to the tooth fairy. But it's only this scenario which would justify any change to file classification.

This is a pedantic correction that doesn't really matter, but just didn't think the "he signed, therefore we were right about the (lack of) DFA avenue" comment was fair, as it certainly isn't accurate.

Last edited:
Well done Essendon, they surprised most by being able to keep most all of their stars this year.

The dogs were never going to be able to compete with that contract IMO. With Boyd on big bucks for 5 more years and guys like Bont and Stringer looking at big new deals soon it was always going to be hard to get someone on a big long term deal.

Between the 3 top 5 picks this year and a mixture of older and younger guys, there's a fair chance we could see Essendon with a pretty strong side in the next couple of years.

tell me more
Fair play. Will readily admit that half my posts in here were simply stirring.

Well done to Essendon. The club's success in re-signing players I believe they terribly wronged is astonishing, another testament to the power of either friendship and loyalty, or conformity and group think (depending on your perspective), in this whole tale.

That said, its certainly a testament to what the new regime and new coach have been able to do, so well done to Lindsay Tanner and John Worsfold.

It's going to be a pretty dull trading period I reckon.

Either it was already put to bed, or it's still up for debate. Him signing doesn't prove or dis-prove anything.
Exactly. Essendon and the AFL managing to have dodged their way out of it doesn't mean it wouldn't have worked if a player (and the club) had been willing to test it. Like the legality of the draft itself, it remains untested because everyone has been persuaded not to rock the boat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood announces their interest

nek minnut

Hurley signs on with the Dons for a further 5 years

How funny is that? :)

If all the players choose to re-sign it will never have been tested.

If the players who leave are traded as normal then it would never have been tested (it actually may have been in this case, but not necessarily).

It not being used doesn't definitively mean that it doesn't exist.

If a trade fell through and the player in question didn't explore the use of this avenue, then yes, it could almost definitely be filed next to the tooth fairy. But it's only this scenario which would justify any change to file classification.

This is a pedantic correction that doesn't really matter, but just didn't think the "he signed, therefore we were right about the (lack of) DFA avenue" comment was fair, as it certainly isn't accurate.
This is true for Hurley. But it was always a crock. Why? Because the true test was Carlisle. He:
  1. Had a more broken relationship with Essendon
  2. Really really wanted out
  3. Has less mates at the club
  4. Would have had it easier if he had gone DFA as a recognised tribunal (CAS) hadn't yet put responsibility for the drugs issue on the players
  5. Would have had a shorter time period since the 2012 injections, and hence a better argument as to why if he had suffered harm he hadn't attempted to break the contract earlier
And yet, Carlisle who had more reason to do it and would have an easier time doing it, didn't. It can't be definitively ruled that it didn't exist, but the evidence was very very strong that nobody would attempt to do it.

This is true for Hurley. But it was always a crock. Why? Because the true test was Carlisle. He:
  1. Had a more broken relationship with Essendon
  2. Really really wanted out
  3. Has less mates at the club
  4. Would have had it easier if he had gone DFA as a recognised tribunal (CAS) hadn't yet put responsibility for the drugs issue on the players
  5. Would have had a shorter time period since the 2012 injections, and hence a better argument as to why if he had suffered harm he hadn't attempted to break the contract earlier
And yet, Carlisle who had more reason to do it and would have an easier time doing it, didn't. It can't be definitively ruled that it didn't exist, but the evidence was very very strong that nobody would attempt to do it.

The obvious counter-argument is that CAS hadn't found them guilty yet.

Don't really want to get into a debate about this though.

Was just correcting a post.

Ok, i'll try to articulate it again.

imo it will leave EFC in no mans land on the ladder for a number of years without the depth of quality seniors to take you to the pointy end and without building the quantity of quality youth that was possible.
This isn't a board presentation SOS.

Good clubs don't let All Australian 25 year olds go and call it progress

I'll say it - on reflecting on it tonight, a big part of me wanting Hurley to leave was wanting to see the Bombers be punished more. I reckon, personally, I'm going to draw the line on the saga for the club here. The individuals responsible is a different thing, but Essendon is largely a new club now.

From now on, I'll hate them the way I hate Carlton, Richmond etc, but no more than that.

They were just talking about this on SEN, and how aside from Jobe's Brownlow, this just about draws a line on flow on consequences from the whole saga.

So, genuinely, well done Bombers fans, a good day for your club.

We've been saying for months now that no deal will be completed until he returns from overseas, which is about 2-3 weeks off.
Yeah right ... Do you believe in Santa Claus? ... what there are no telephones or internet connection in Spain.

Very convenient excuse ... it more like if you haven't upped your offer by the time I get back I'm out of here.

Interestingly Hooker managed to come to terms ... yet he went on the same holiday ... mmmmm!

Well what would you know, he was back in the country after 2-3 weeks and announced his decision upon returning. So less a convenient excuse and more just plain logic in the end.

So now I guess the real question is what do I ask Santa for this Christmas?

The obvious counter-argument is that CAS hadn't found them guilty yet.

Don't really want to get into a debate about this though.

Was just correcting a post.
CAS made it harder to win with a grievance tribunal, since it put responsibility on the players, not the club.

Hurley will be at Essendon in 2017.

Make a bet..

Just saw 3 off your players all smiling talking to Smorgan junior :) also 1 manager was there yep Hurleys I asked him whats the go told me Smorgan Jr is looking after case againts Ess and Afl..I said will be good to see Hurley in a Bulldog jumper he said Quote:think you will :)

What a bloody moron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back