Autopsy Freo lose by lots to GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

After this season finishes there is just so much potential 'up side' to look forward to! My view is to see how freo respond before becoming despondent... I think that we'll be back on track in the blink of an eye...
Depends on how many of the spuds we really get rid of, talk is cheap, let's see some action

Haha. You're taking the piss.... right?

(No seriously, even I'm not that positive)
Why wouldn't we be hitting top 8? We obviously have some hidden potential; only finishing top of the ladder last year... I understand that it's hard to be positive after a loss like today, but believe me, it's just an abberation...

Agree with all this. Clarke is worth keeping, I don't no why they've tried to change his style from a leaping ruck to a body type ruckman, he's stopped jumping at the ball and doesn't look fit. Why also play Griiff now, great servant of the club but Clarke and Appness should have rucked today, they should be the future.

I hope the players have not switched off from listening to the coaches or it could be tragic. Fyfe is a massive, massive loss, f..King monumental, pay him what he wants.
If Clarke is the future we have none, bottom line. People need to stop thinking of how he was 3 years ago. He is a plain set dud.

But they also clearly had skill as they were high draft picks
Up to a point, yes of course. But with young players its more about building match fitness and teaching structure than skills, they're supposed to have them already if the selectors have done their jobs adequately enough. You can see it in every young team, they drop off over the course of a match. Remember the Bulldogs as well, they had exactly the same problem until... well, this year really. Even last year, they'd fade.
When tired, kicks aren't as good, chases not as effective, tackles don't stick. Some commentators don't realise how many of the last two years draft we have playing out there at the moment.

Having said that, it doesn't excuse our senior players at all.

Ibbo, Suttcliffe, Spurr wouldn't get a game at another club. Clarke might because he's tall.
Mayne, just go.
Ballas we might get a 4th rounder for, we picked Yarran with that so here's hoping. You would hope that he struggled to get a game next year.
Captaincy just doesn't suit Mundys personality. He's to laconic.
Weller, Blakley, SNOS, Collins, Hill and Lachie did well.
Weller in particular has had a few new roles over the last few weeks.
Yarran good first quarter obviously.
The only reason I'll watch next week is for Pav.
Besides everything else bad in our game, our tackling is horrendous. We don't in anyway effect the person being tackled. They nearly always get the disposal away to a team mate.
Easily the worst season we've had when you think of the expectation coming into it.
Isnt Spurr in our leadership team, shouldn't one of the criteria be you should actually be one of the side's best players? He might take some marks in the back line but how about some speed, decision making and the ability to stop a small forward

I agree. Lets see some action.... But with hitting the finals/top four consistently over the past 4 years, why wouldn't we have faith that we can turn it around again :)
We can but the game has moved on and unfortunately the lock down, defensive game where you can hide a number of spuds in your team is no longer relevant so if we get rid of them we have a chance

Why wouldn't we be hitting top 8? We obviously have some hidden potential; only finishing top of the ladder last year... I understand that it's hard to be positive after a loss like today, but believe me, it's just an abberation...
I know it is, and I am fairly positive about next season if a few things go right (injuries!). I'm firmly of the belief that this season has been an aberration too.

But we're also contending with a potentially even closer competition next year than it has been this year.
Hawthorn will probably drop, but by how much? Sydney will stay up, they're not an old team. Western Bulldogs will have their full team back, so will Gold Coast. Collingwood, St Kilda and Melbourne are showing promising signs, they'll be looking for a spot in the finals next year. West Coast... who knows, I have no idea where they're going to be at. Can't even write off Port Adelaide, they're still mostly the same team that played in 2014 - 2015 and had everyone talking. Adelaide, keep getting better.

just saying in order for us to crack the top 8 again next year, we're going to have to improve more than other clubs are already improving, as well as face off against clubs which may be on the way down but aren't done yet - Hawthorn, Geelong.
It's certainly possible, but with top teams dropping off a bit but not too much, and mid table teams looking like they're ready to take another step... wow, its going to take some effort, and some major improvement from the kids.

The only positive is that because the season has been so bad we will be forced to make radical changes, unlike Richmond who will bring in 1 player and think they will be good again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are clearly unfit. It's been happening every game. Our players just jog on the spot half way through the second quarter... The postive is that we'll learn a lot from the remarkable failure of this season. We'll makes some positive changes, and if we get our recruitment more right than wrong we'll be back in the race !!!
Very noticeable that most of our players seem to "jog at half pace" while our opponents run hard. Whether this is a fitness or a confidence thing I don 't really know. However to an interested observer it's more of a "don't give a stuff" attitude which has to be eliminated either by trading certain players out or changing a mental attitude.

Sutcliffe is a classic example : was it only a couple of years ago that he was delighting us supporters with his runs up the middle from the backline, but how long since we've since that sort of performance from him. Should we delist or persist? But again he's another one who just runs around without putting in any apparent effort.

Weller was the only one that I noticed giving a good chase down and that was from a long way back but still impacted the GWS disposal. Kudos Lachie.

How is blakely go? Especially disposal, if he got lot but no good i am a bit worry .

Saw an article today saying that this Fremantle Season has been the worst form turnaround in a season in the history of the vfl/afl

Did people actually have expectations going into this? Got handed exactly what I thought we would. The positives in Apeness, Yarran and Collins was all I needed to see today.
My expectations are tempered when it comes to the 8 playing with less than 20 games of experience but the drop off in intensity and skills from those that should be leading by example is disappointing. As mentioned in a post above, it really does appear that many of those 'experienced heads' don't give a rats right now.

Please, if we have to rely on a forward line of Apeness and Tabernar we will have many years of heartache, we need 3 - 4 forwards, we can't get enough forwards, you can make anyone a half back flanker

Taberner, Mccartney, and Apeness isn't the greatest but when you add the likes of Walters, Yarran, SPS, Bennell, and Fyfe around them they can do a job.

Did people actually have expectations going into this? Got handed exactly what I thought we would. The positives in Apeness, Yarran and Collins was all I needed to see today.
Only a couple of glimpses but it was good to see them from Apeness. He's a player I think we will need to be patient with until he can get more involved but hopefully he can be that 2nd ruck as well as forward. Love his ferocity at the contest trying to hammer blokes, when he fills out with some more gym work he'll be a beast. Like Hannath except for actually being reasonably mobile and having skills...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back