Recruiting The Offseason: Essendon

What should Essendon prioritise this off-season?

• Jaeger O'Meara

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Adding another key forward

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Resigning Jobe Watson

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Fielding offers for Pick 1

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The Michael Hibberd trade

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Research was definitely done. Here it is for you:

Dal Santo's last seven games this year (possessions): 25, 31, 23, 29, 26, 29, 28 - not bad for a 32 year old with 320 odd games experience.

The Bombers are about to lose Michael Hibberd off half-back, while Dempsey will likely be moved on. Dal Santo is a better kick than your small-mid defenders in Baguley, Gleeson, Dea, Brown, Ashby or Tippa and would be a solid contributor along side an ageing Goddard in the back half.

He won't chew up any midfield time for the youngsters either.

Would have looked at Dal 3 years ago but not now. We will have enough over 28's on the list next year.

If i was to put down my priority over the next 2 or 3 years because list management decisions are not made in isolation only looking 1 year in advance it would be:
We have 3 gun young midfielders in Zac Merrett, Heppell and Parish - if we could find at least two more of that caliber over the next few years and one this up coming draft that would be great - particularly a bigger bodied type.

Key forward to develop is a priority but not an urgent one. Hooker will play forward with Daniher and I think he will do bloody well up there personally. Daniher is already a gun and only getting better. Then we have Brown as solid depth and Francis is a good developing option. I think its a need that we could try to address this season but just as happy to wait til next year in a draft that has stronger talls. None of our players are close to retirement and it simply isn't as urgent as the OP made it out to be.

Ruck stocks are reasonable but thinnish with Leuenberger performing above expectations and Bellchambers to return. That said Nyuon hasn't done much so far and McKernan will be lucky to keep his spot plus Jamar and Michael will be gone. I'd say we need a mature age ruckman for depth and to draft a youngster in the rookie draft or late in the national draft to develop. We could get by without doing this and certainly Daniher can ruck if required and I think Hooker could play second ruck if needed but its too much of robbing Peter to pay Paul to do it for more than a game or so.

Small forwards I think we have enough on our list and need to keep developing them and see which ones work out. Don't think its a priority in the draft. That said if we found a good one it could be good because some of our forwards including Fantasia, Laverde and Langford also project as being midfielders at some point. So its a bit debatable for mine. Possibly mid sized options are more important for us.

A good rebounding HBF is probably required. We will be OK in the short term with the likes of Goddard and Kelly maybe playing there for a year or so but need to find another younger player to develop along with McKenna in these roles. Probably also a shutdown back pocket player is needed as well to develop to replace Baguley. The sooner we address these needs the better.

I'm an aspiring sports writer, in my last semester of a sports journo course and am doing offseason articles for every club. Take it as you will - but I don't think I suggested or wrote anything that isn't on the table for the Bombers in October
I didn't mind it. All the best with your career and not the Maggies lol :p

If we get O'Meara and mcluggage = PERFECT. Add speedy mids(especially a taller winger), skillful fwd pocket and some giant encino man ruck project this year. Be patient on a tall fwd, put everything we have next offseason into that gap. Go experienced over draftee as we will hopefully be a destination club once again n sign one of next yr tall prospects when they hit their prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not bad, you could use some deeper analysis though and some stats to back it up if you can get them
it kinda comes across as information gleaned from reading a few articles in the media and repackaged rather than original insights from watching games, examining statistics and examining the list - that's the sort of thing that separates the hacks like Barrett from the respected writers like Quayle. Obviously that could be a bit hard while you're at uni though

not bad, you could use some deeper analysis though and some stats to back it up if you can get them
it kinda comes across as information gleaned from reading a few articles in the media and repackaged rather than original insights from watching games, examining statistics and examining the list - that's the sort of thing that separates the hacks like Barrett from the respected writers like Quayle. Obviously that could be a bit hard while you're at uni though
And especially if you're trying to analyse 18 clubs - most people have enough trouble keeping up with one!

No I appreciate the feedback. What kind of statistics do you guys find most interesting in an analysis of list management?

agreed. it wasn't meant as put down or anything, just my thoughts on how it could be improved to give herself the best shot at a proper media gig

No I appreciate the feedback. What kind of statistics do you guys find most interesting in an analysis of list management?
Whatever relates to the player/position in question I guess.
Maybe relate whatever you go with to those of a good side/player or the median score for that stat or something so it's meaningful. For instance a stat like Essendon's turnovers out of defense (if such a stat exists) compared to other sides would add weight to your suggestion that Dal Santo could be a good addition. Maybe identify some areas the club is seriously deficient or lagging behind other sides and suggest a draft/trade/focus for preseason that might fix that.

Likewise, where you've suggested Ballantyne as a trade target if you were to include some information about Essendon's small forward stocks it would help and might even lead you to a different conclusion given McDonald-Tipungwuti booted 4 playing as a small forward on the weekend, Fantasia has kicked 30 or so for the season and won a Rising Star nomination, Colyer's imminent return and Eades progress (or lack thereof) in the VFL - in which case starting with something like "Despite media whispers linking him to Essendon..." might leave a good impression on readers looking for than the usual Barrett and Robbo tier garbage that gets thrown around at this time of year.

Just stuff like that, something that gives your assertions some authority and gives people a reason to read your work instead of just browsing big footy for unresearched opinions

Gotta say - I rarely find stats interesting. Lies, damn lies and statistics.....

Get to lots and lots of games, talk to lots of people who know the game and develop the ability to assess players with your own two eyes.

VFL is a good place to learn a lot about footy - you can hear the players and coaches.

Research was definitely done. Here it is for you:

Dal Santo is a better kick than your small-mid defenders in Gleeson or Tippa

Dal Santo couldn't kick over a Camry, his career is done. He's also not a better kick than Gleeson, and especially not Tippa, who I rate as one of the top 5 kicks in the comp.

I do definitely appreciate your effort though, I'd sound much worse than you do, if I tried to do a club analysis of any club apart from Essendon. Many on here would even argue I even sound bad when I do Essendon analysis ;)
#mathieson

I'm an aspiring sports writer, in my last semester of a sports journo course and am doing offseason articles for every club. Take it as you will - but I don't think I suggested or wrote anything that isn't on the table for the Bombers in October
You seem to be doing ok IMO.

Back