Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

And here's a journo reporting on FazRaz's retirement...

1-sky-sports-reporter-hit-in-head-by-ball.gif

For reals? Proof?
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-09-14/ray-announces-retirement
After 209 games, Farren Ray has announced his retirement from the AFL.

The veteran managed just four games with North Melbourne after playing with the Bulldogs and St Kilda in career that spanned thirteen seasons.

“I sat down with ‘Scotty’ [Brad Scott] about three weeks ago and told him that I would be finishing up at the end of the year,” Ray told NMFC.com.au.

“Although my time at North was brief, I cannot thank the club enough for the opportunity it gave me to extend my career.”

Ray’s year with the Roos was a frustrating one and included a serious hamstring injury and concussion.

“The way things panned out wasn’t ideal and I would have liked to have played some more footy, but that’s the way it all unfolded and I am just glad to have had the opportunity.”

North General Manager List Management Cam Joyce said Ray’s impact on the club was profound.

“From the moment ‘Faz’ walked into the club, he slipped in seamlessly and added more professionalism and leadership to the group,” Joyce said.

“He has a tremendous team-first attitude and displayed some fantastic qualities that our younger players really took on board.

“It’s our understanding that Faz wants to continue to work in football, perhaps in player welfare, and he would definitely suit such a role.”

Ray was originally recruited to the Bulldogs from the Peel Thunder in 2003, and was traded to St Kilda in 2008 where he featured in three grand finals.

North Melbourne picked Ray up in the Rookie Draft in 2015.

Meanwhile, North Melbourne has made further changes to its list with experienced small forward Robin Nahas delisted.

The Roos pounced on the former Tiger as a delisted Free Agent at the end of the 2013 season and he played 34 games for the club including 18 in 2015. In that year, he booted 24 goals.

“North was absolutely fantastic to me and gave me a lot of opportunities at the highest level which I’ll always be grateful for,” Nahas said.

“To be able to extend my career with North for a further three years was fantastic and I’ll always cherish my time there.”

Nahas said he doesn’t know what his future holds, but regardless, the 28-year-old’s career was a solid one and included 117 games and 135 goals.

“Robbie was a great fit for us and gave us some real quality up forward with his elite pressure and tackling ability,” Joyce said.

“We sincerely thank Robbie and Farren for their professionalism and effort, and commend both on their respective careers.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-09-14/ray-announces-retirement
After 209 games, Farren Ray has announced his retirement from the AFL.

The veteran managed just four games with North Melbourne after playing with the Bulldogs and St Kilda in career that spanned thirteen seasons.

“I sat down with ‘Scotty’ [Brad Scott] about three weeks ago and told him that I would be finishing up at the end of the year,” Ray told NMFC.com.au.

“Although my time at North was brief, I cannot thank the club enough for the opportunity it gave me to extend my career.”

Ray’s year with the Roos was a frustrating one and included a serious hamstring injury and concussion.

“The way things panned out wasn’t ideal and I would have liked to have played some more footy, but that’s the way it all unfolded and I am just glad to have had the opportunity.”

North General Manager List Management Cam Joyce said Ray’s impact on the club was profound.

“From the moment ‘Faz’ walked into the club, he slipped in seamlessly and added more professionalism and leadership to the group,” Joyce said.

“He has a tremendous team-first attitude and displayed some fantastic qualities that our younger players really took on board.

“It’s our understanding that Faz wants to continue to work in football, perhaps in player welfare, and he would definitely suit such a role.”

Ray was originally recruited to the Bulldogs from the Peel Thunder in 2003, and was traded to St Kilda in 2008 where he featured in three grand finals.

North Melbourne picked Ray up in the Rookie Draft in 2015.

Meanwhile, North Melbourne has made further changes to its list with experienced small forward Robin Nahas delisted.

The Roos pounced on the former Tiger as a delisted Free Agent at the end of the 2013 season and he played 34 games for the club including 18 in 2015. In that year, he booted 24 goals.

“North was absolutely fantastic to me and gave me a lot of opportunities at the highest level which I’ll always be grateful for,” Nahas said.

“To be able to extend my career with North for a further three years was fantastic and I’ll always cherish my time there.”

Nahas said he doesn’t know what his future holds, but regardless, the 28-year-old’s career was a solid one and included 117 games and 135 goals.

“Robbie was a great fit for us and gave us some real quality up forward with his elite pressure and tackling ability,” Joyce said.

“We sincerely thank Robbie and Farren for their professionalism and effort, and commend both on their respective careers.”
Thanks mate

Brad would have given him a huge pump up at his rigorous exit interview. All the little things that go unnoticed by the fans. The blocks, the selfless acts, the score involvements, the chase downs, the tackles, the lockdown jobs on opponents, etc, etc.

Some of us older than 30 will remember the very fine career of a Denis Pagan favourite, Rick Olarenshaw. Denis tried hard to land his man and when he finally landed at North, let's just say his career was "memorable".

And so ends one of the great North Melbourne careers.

I'll miss you Faz. :'(

I'll take a different tack. Thank you Faz for your efforts this year. Good luck in whatever you pursue. It's a shame your selection didn't turn out to be an inspired one but that's not your fault. It's the fault of some woeful list management by people who are employed to be better.

Good luck for the future Faz. It seems like he tried to make the most of his brief time with us and by all reports he had a positive impact on the kids. Had a good attitude but an ailing body, knowing all along he was here as backup.

Not sure why you blokes need to take piss out of the bloke.

Was brought in for a reason and did that to the best of his ability.

Yep, should be directed at the numpties running the club.

Not sure why you blokes need to take piss out of the bloke.

Was brought in for a reason and did that to the best of his ability.
Just having a laugh. I respect all of those who pull on the Royal Blue and White stripes, mate, Faz Raz included.

It was a bizarre recruitment, but from social media it seems like he was popular among the group so I commend him for that. He also provided me with a genuine moment of delight, which were in short supply this season, when he kicked his first goal.

Brad would have given him a huge pump up at his rigorous exit interview. All the little things that go unnoticed by the fans. The blocks, the selfless acts, the score involvements, the chase downs, the tackles, the lockdown jobs on opponents, etc, etc.

Some of us older than 30 will remember the very fine career of a Denis Pagan favourite, Rick Olarenshaw. Denis tried hard to land his man and when he finally landed at North, let's just say his career was "memorable".

For a great coach he was an awful recruiter in later years.

It was a bizarre recruitment, but from social media it seems like he was popular among the group so I commend him for that. He also provided me with a genuine moment of delight, which were in short supply this season, when he kicked his first goal.

Bloody hell, as he strolled in to kick that and extend our lead to 69,000 points, my mind started to wander to premiership glory.

Then the second half of that match happened and we were never the same again really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back