The Academies - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Priority access to some of the best young, local talent isn't "nothing".

14 other clubs would kill for the opportunity to have priority access to their best local talent, even without a discount.

I understand the rationale behind the discounts, but to suggest that they are the only benefit of the academy system is silly.
14 other clubs have strong schools competition and state leagues. Nothing silly about the academy it's trying to lure talented kids away from league/Union to develop a stronger grass roots hold in the northern states.

14 other clubs have strong schools competition and state leagues. Nothing silly about the academy it's trying to lure talented kids away from league/Union to develop a stronger grass roots hold in the northern states.

Don't disagree with that, never have.

I was just pointing out that your claim that without the discounts clubs get "nothing" is silly. I assume you don't actually believe that.

That would be funny. Because any Kimberley kid who moves to get an education is not eligible for an academy position, according to their ruling this year. I would love to see the AFL apply the same stupid rules to a charity club, and make Tarryn Thomas ineligible.

I would say it's down to sheer numbers tbh.

Yes, I know. However you can pick players from any background, even good ole Anglo Saxon kids that come from AFL backgrounds.

You wouldn't be getting Mills or Heeney if you were bound by the same stupid restrictions we are being placed under for these academies.

Guess who we can pick from? Bunch of foreign kids with zero AFL background and that's it.

Our region is utter s**t, Northern Melbourne? Big ******* deal. Utter s**t zone.

So let's not even pretend these mickey mouse Victorian academies even come close to competing with the likes of Sydney's and GWS.

The Vic clubs should be into junior footy like the WA clubs, FOR NOTHING .... comparing growing footy in Q/NSW with Vic/SA/WA, you are not dinkum Bosto.

That would be funny. Because any Kimberley kid who moves to get an education is not eligible for an academy position, according to their ruling this year. I would love to see the AFL apply the same stupid rules to a charity club, and make Tarryn Thomas ineligible.

Using Cyril as an example, schooled in Melbourne ....

The Vic clubs should be into junior footy like the WA clubs, FOR NOTHING .... comparing growing footy in Q/NSW with Vic/SA/WA, you are not dinkum Bosto.

Why would they be into it when if they spend their own money developing any of these kids anyone can just draft them?

Makes zero sense.

Except the like of Heeney and Mills don't fall into that category of League/Union background. You just get an absolute free hit on them.

Except the like of Heeney and Mills don't fall into that category of League/Union background. You just get an absolute free hit on them.
Hasn't it already been said that if it weren't for Academies they wouldn't be playing AFL?

mentioned on radio today, Mills's grandfather played WAFL, so hardly a foreign sport to him
Mills was playing union before he was roped back in, even if he played afl earlier on.

Heeney excelled at soccer, cricket, rugby...

Even if the both did end up playing AFL, neither would of been taken anywhere near as high as they were without the academy.

Mills was playing union before he was roped back in, even if he played afl earlier on.

Heeney excelled at soccer, cricket, rugby...

Even if the both did end up playing AFL, neither would of been taken anywhere near as high as they were without the academy.

Heeney has been quoted that he'd be playing league if not for the academies because playing out of the Newcastle area meant there was a pathway to the big time for league but nothing similar for AFL.

Heeney has been quoted that he'd be playing league if not for the academies because playing out of the Newcastle area meant there was a pathway to the big time for league but nothing similar for AFL.
he was drafted. via the academy. You are saying he would not go into the draft if he was to go to another club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was drafted. via the academy. You are saying he would not go into the draft if he was to go to another club

I'm saying "he'd be playing league if not for the academies". He wouldn't have been playing AFL at a serious level in U16s, U17s or U18s as he probably would've been playing league full time, so would not have been in the AFL at all.

I'm assuming that Sydney don't mind if Longmire and Blakey's sons aren't counted as academy picks as they would have played footy wherever they were brought up. Sweet.

Can we put the whole 'sydney funds the academies' BS to rest yet? They fund it through the $12m they receive every year from the league ffs.

How about we just admit it was a mistake by the afl and it should be scrapped immediately for bringing the game into disrepute . Disgraceful system that needs aholling before it ruins the game .

So Sydney don't fund the academies, one of there sponsors do.

Academies should be run by the AFL for the growth of the game in non-AFL states. They shouldn't be run by clubs in non-afl states to generate an ongoing competitive advantage over the rest of the competition. The fruits of the academies should be available for the whole competition to select from.

Academies in their current form are the antithesis of equalization.

I'm assuming that Sydney don't mind if Longmire and Blakey's sons aren't counted as academy picks as they would have played footy wherever they were brought up. Sweet.

Can we put the whole 'sydney funds the academies' BS to rest yet? They fund it through the $12m they receive every year from the league ffs.

The Sydney Swans Academy has produced two first round picks since its inception in 2010 at a cost of over $6 million. That is $3 million dollars per first round pick. The next potential first round pick is Nick Blakey. I am sure the Swans would consider not matching North Melbourne's bid on Blakey if Norths agree to pay $3 million to the Sydney Swans Foundation which funds the Swans Academy.

So Sydney don't fund the academies, one of there sponsors do.

Academies should be run by the AFL for the growth of the game in non-AFL states. They shouldn't be run by clubs in non-afl states to generate an ongoing competitive advantage over the rest of the competition. The fruits of the academies should be available for the whole competition to select from.

Academies in their current form are the antithesis of equalization.

They also help avoid retention issues which becoming a major problem for most non-vic clubs.

The Sydney Swans Academy has produced two first round picks since its inception in 2010 at a cost of over $6 million. That is $3 million dollars per first round pick. The next potential first round pick is Nick Blakey. I am sure the Swans would consider not matching North Melbourne's bid on Blakey if Norths agree to pay $3 million to the Sydney Swans Foundation which funds the Swans Academy.
why? Do you believe that Blakey wouldn't have played footy without the academy? I thought this was the reason sydney had an academy in the first place. Blakey's cost to the 'Swans foundation' (AFL) would be SFA, not $3m as the cost would be divided across all participants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back