Academy 2024 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
As always, an interesting year watching the matches and seeing potentials for Draft current and future.

Academy programs from New South Wales (GWS GIANTS and Sydney Swans), Queensland (Gold Coast SUNS and Brisbane Lions) and Northern Territory (NT State Academy) will continue to compete for part of the Coates Talent League season, in addition to games between the respective academies.

This thread will post links to all Academy games & team lists when available.

:gws:GWS GIANTS Academy

:brisbane:Brisbane Lions Academy

:goldcoast:Gold Coast SUNS Academy

:sydney:Sydney Swans Academy

Norther Territory Acamemy.png

Last edited:
Summer Series 2024 New

Four men’s and four women’s teams will go head to head across three weekends in March in the Summer Series 2024.

For the first time, AFL Sydney and AFL Canberra will field U22 teams to take on the Academy sides from the GIANTS and Sydney Swans.

Looks like someone has their head in the game and we get the team links without searching high and low for them.

Squads of teams competing in the series are:​

Last edited:
Coates League Fixture for Academies New
The 2024 Coates League fixture has been announced:

Sydney Swans Academy - Boys are playing 4 games:

Round 4 vs Gippsland Power (A)
Round 5 vs Eastern Ranges (A)
Round 6 vs Tassie Devils (H)
Round 8 vs Sandringham Dragons (A)

GWS Giants Academy - Boys are playing 3 games:

Round 4 vs Tassie Devils (H)
Round 5 vs Sandringham Dragons (A)
Round 6 vs Murray Bushrangers (A)

Brisbane Lions Academy - Boys are playing 4 games:

Round 5 vs Northern Knights (H)
Round 6 vs Eastern Ranges (A)
Round 7 vs Calder Cannons (H)
Round 8 vs Dandenong Stingrays (A)

Gold Coast Suns Academy - Boys are playing 4 games:

Round 5 vs Oakleigh Chargers (H)
Round 6 vs Dandenong Stingrays (A)
Round 7 vs Geelong Falcons (H)
Round 8 vs Calder Cannons (A)

NT Thunder - Boys are playing 2 games:

Round 4 vs Western Jets (A)
Round 5 vs Tassie Devils (A)

Full fixture: Home and Away competition fixtures | PlayHQ

02MAR24: AFL Male U22 vs Swans Academy U19 New
Last edited:
09MAR24: Summer Series Part 2 New
Last edited:
As usual, the Lions keeping everything about their academy secret.

Apparently we’re playing Sherwood QAFL seniors fringe players in a praccy match at Springfield tomorrow morning.

Just read on the Suns board, that their academy is playing Broadbeach tonight.

Apparently we’re playing Sherwood QAFL seniors fringe players in a praccy match at Springfield tomorrow morning.

It boggles the mind that they aren't showcasing them more. Found some more details on the Broadbeach facebook page

1709954886766.png

16MAR24: Summer Series Part 3 New
Last edited:

A reliable source has told me that Lions u18 have finalized their squad for 2024.

2025 (2007 born) draft crop has had some surprising omissions. J Slater, J Harrison, O Barry, S Macinnis, O Tanks, T Griggs.
Among some of the best in last year's u16 carnival won't get a look at this year's u18 team.

Haven't heard much regarding 2006 born 2024 draft class kids other than a source telling me that C Hewitt has been dropped, very interesting considering how highly he seemed to be rated.

The squad will play Mt Gravatt Seniors on Saturday 4:00pm.

A reliable source has told me that Lions u18 have finalized their squad for 2024.

2025 (2007 born) draft crop has had some surprising omissions. J Slater, J Harrison, O Barry, S Macinnis, O Tanks, T Griggs.
Among some of the best in last year's u16 carnival won't get a look at this year's u18 team.

Haven't heard much regarding 2006 born 2024 draft class kids other than a source telling me that C Hewitt has been dropped, very interesting considering how highly he seemed to be rated.

The squad will play Mt Gravatt Seniors on Saturday 4:00pm.
Did any of 2008 born boys make the squad?

And how many over agers?

Did any of 2008 born boys make the squad?

And how many over agers?
There were no 2008 born boys in the squad to begin with. C Hodge, M Owen and a couple others filled number for match sim but that was it.

In terms of over agers there are a heap from what ive been told.

B Richardson
N Jensen
N Rosenbrock
T Meekin
R Bailey
T Gallop
B Mcdonald

Considering they can only play x4 for coates games seems like alot.

There were no 2008 born boys in the squad to begin with. C Hodge, M Owen and a couple others filled number for match sim but that was it.

In terms of over agers there are a heap from what ive been told.

B Richardson
N Jensen
N Rosenbrock
T Meekin
R Bailey
T Gallop
B Mcdonald

Considering they can only play x4 for coates games seems like alot.
So which bottom agers made the squad?

Annabel, Geesu, Bridge, ???

I have Oscar Tanks in my 2024 draft list. Are you sure he’s in next years draft?

Jack Slater, Oscar Barry, Jack Harrison and Ben Lillico are my second tier of potential draftees for next years draft, after the 3 mentioned above.

Really seems strange they missed the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So which bottom agers made the squad?

Annabel, Geesu, Bridge, ???

I have Oscar Tanks in my 2024 draft list. Are you sure he’s in next years draft?

Jack Slater, Oscar Barry, Jack Harrison and Ben Lillico are my second tier of potential draftees for next years draft, after the 3 mentioned above.

Really seems strange they missed the squad.
Annabel & Bridge always in.

From what I've heard internally, Gessu is struggling for form so that will be interesting.

Other bottom agers who are in; B Lillico, F Callaway, I Waller, J Neil.

Sounds like only 8-10 bottom agers in.

Oscar Tanks is defiantly 2007, he will spend this year with the level 2 u16 program due to an injury riddled last 18 months.

Back to the stiff bottom agers:
From what I've been told internally
J Slater - Lack of form
J Harrison - Playing well but lacking impact
O Barry - Unluckily struck by glandular fever
S Macinnis - Playing very well but injury interruptions
O Tanks - Injury
T Griggs - Injury
K Dee- School cricket commitments

Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake.

Annabel & Bridge always in.
With potential rule changes in regards to matching bids, and the current rule about top 4 teams only being allowed to match 1 academy bid in the first round, I wonder which player the club would prioritise if both Annabel and Bridge were bid on in the first round.
From what I've heard internally, Gessu is struggling for form so that will be interesting.
In the squad or not?
Other bottom agers who are in; B Lillico, F Callaway, I Waller, J Neil.

Sounds like only 8-10 bottom agers in.

Oscar Tanks is defiantly 2007, he will spend this year with the level 2 u16 program due to an injury riddled last 18 months.

Back to the stiff bottom agers:
From what I've been told internally
J Slater - Lack of form
J Harrison - Playing well but lacking impact
O Barry - Unluckily struck by glandular fever
S Macinnis - Playing very well but injury interruptions
O Tanks - Injury
T Griggs - Injury
K Dee- School cricket commitments

Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake.
Oscar Barry is one I really rate personally. If they're missing due to illness or injury, not much anyone can do about that. From my perspective, it's better to get them as healthy as possible, so they can have a real shot in their draft year.

With potential rule changes in regards to matching bids, and the current rule about top 4 teams only being allowed to match 1 academy bid in the first round, I wonder which player the club would prioritise if both Annabel and Bridge were bid on in the first round.

In the squad or not?

Oscar Barry is one I really rate personally. If they're missing due to illness or injury, not much anyone can do about that. From my perspective, it's better to get them as healthy as possible, so they can have a real shot in their draft year.
For me, and i would say the academy would agree, the question is now heading towards more, Annabel or Lillico.

Gessu in squad despite lack of form.

My perspective on Barry is he has lost the ability to use his once dominate size to dominate around contest. He thrived on contested possessions now looks to struggle having to be more of a key role player.

Any questions regarding the 2006,7,8 boys i am open to answering i am quite knowledgeable with those draft classes. Particularly the 06,07 lads.

For me, and i would say the academy would agree, the question is now heading towards more, Annabel or Lillico.

Gessu in squad despite lack of form.

My perspective on Barry is he has lost the ability to use his once dominate size to dominate around contest. He thrived on contested possessions now looks to struggle having to be more of a key role player.

Any questions regarding the 2006,7,8 boys i am open to answering i am quite knowledgeable with those draft classes. Particularly the 06,07 lads.
Appreciate your opinion on Oscar Barry, but might be a bit off - watched him play last year in the academy and at Club land in the seniors at Coorparoo a few times earning best defender I believe, and a few bog’s playing against men not kids and have been following him closely this preseason at Morningside finally at the Panthers, I think his illness has held him back - talking to his father last week his illness didn’t get picked up for 6 weeks prior and scans showed he had internal issues( enlarged spleen) - regardless he is out of this years group and knowing the kid he will return next year hopefully with a clean run at it.
Annabel would be clear favourite for draft next year for the 2007 boys kid has exceptional work ethic and a good footy brain and no fear, Gessu had early injury’s and has worked hard to get back and is in pretty good form - Lillco another kid that puts the effort in I don’t know for sure but didn’t get invited up to the level 4? like Annabel and Bridge did and a few others - one player that is draft able this year that I believe has been overlooked is W Greenaway this kids left foot bomb and footy smarts, running efforts and hardness at the ball is like no other - Bridge could learn a lot from this kid on how to win his own footy and take the game on instead of the back seat looking for the easy ball which he is very good at / Bridge has a nice left foot and game sense just no effort for the hard ball gets. Another mention is a kid I’ve watched train and play at Sherwood for a few years now that wasn’t selected is Harrow kids got the heart of a lion and great work ethic he’s hard at it - watching the carnival replays from last year believe he was one of the leading goal kickers overall for the Lions - please correct me if I am wrong ?
Wish the academy lads all the best for the upcoming season I will be there watching closely.

Appreciate your opinion on Oscar Barry, but might be a bit off - watched him play last year in the academy and at Club land in the seniors at Coorparoo a few times earning best defender I believe, and a few bog’s playing against men not kids and have been following him closely this preseason at Morningside finally at the Panthers, I think his illness has held him back - talking to his father last week his illness didn’t get picked up for 6 weeks prior and scans showed he had internal issues( enlarged spleen) - regardless he is out of this years group and knowing the kid he will return next year hopefully with a clean run at it.
Annabel would be clear favourite for draft next year for the 2007 boys kid has exceptional work ethic and a good footy brain and no fear, Gessu had early injury’s and has worked hard to get back and is in pretty good form - Lillco another kid that puts the effort in I don’t know for sure but didn’t get invited up to the level 4? like Annabel and Bridge did and a few others - one player that is draft able this year that I believe has been overlooked is W Greenaway this kids left foot bomb and footy smarts, running efforts and hardness at the ball is like no other - Bridge could learn a lot from this kid on how to win his own footy and take the game on instead of the back seat looking for the easy ball which he is very good at / Bridge has a nice left foot and game sense just no effort for the hard ball gets. Another mention is a kid I’ve watched train and play at Sherwood for a few years now that wasn’t selected is Harrow kids got the heart of a lion and great work ethic he’s hard at it - watching the carnival replays from last year believe he was one of the leading goal kickers overall for the Lions - please correct me if I am wrong ?
Wish the academy lads all the best for the upcoming season I will be there watching closely.
Hey mate. Cheers for the reply.

Having also worked closely with the academy and also Morningside my opinion on Oscar Barry was on this years preseason. No doubt he had an unreal year last year, proving his ability to dominate men, albeit not QAFL. But with a interrupted preseason and a loss of size with sickness no doubt it isn't the ideal prep heading into the season. I've been told he is debuting for the Morningside reserves this Saturday vs grange, will be an interesting watch. Having watched the intra club games he played for the lions he lacked impact, having only a couple of touches per game playing as a key back. Which isn't unusual for bottom agers still adapting to the pace of the game and nothing to be worried about but just providing my thoughts based on what I have seen. It is clear he is an elite talent who has had a rough run lately and wishing him the best this year.

Agreed that Annabel is the clear favorite for 2007 but understanding that it is a very talented draft class with 4-6 draftable kids and knowing that anything can happen.

Disagree with you on Gessu and wondering what you consider 'good form' I think he has been extremely below par lately and will need to pick up his game drastically if he wishes to get games this year at Coates level.

Correct on Lillico not making L4.

I really rate Greenaway, love his ability to impact offensively and break lines. I agree that he is draftable but he is what i would consider on the fringe. For this years draft I would say Gilder, Gillet and then Greenaway as the top 3 for this year, all will be battling for an allies Gurnsey this year.

Harrison's best is AA worthy, but his worst is significantly worse. He will need to fill that void between his best and his worst. He was not close to the leading goal kicker for L2 last year. Behind guys like, Gessu, Callaway, Hewitt. On my count he only kicked 1 vs the suns in the opening game and didn't impact the scoreboard after that, playing more that high half fwd role.

Any questions i am open to answering.

2024 Marsh AFL National Championships schedule

2024 Marsh AFL National Championships – U18 Boys
Teams:
Allies (comprising ACT, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland and Tasmania), South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia.

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMLOCATIONTIME
Sun, May 26South AustraliaAlliesSA10:05am
Sun, June 2AlliesWestern AustraliaNSW10:35am
Sun, June 9Victoria MetroAlliesVIC10:35am
Sun, July 7AlliesVictoria CountryQLD10:35am

2024 Marsh AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys

Teams:

Pool A: South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Western Australia

Pool B: Brisbane Lions Academy, Gold Coast Suns Academy, GWS Giants Academy, Northern Territory, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMLOCATIONTIME
Sat, June 8Northern TerritoryTasmaniaVIC11:00am
Sat, June 29GWS Giants AcademySydney Swans AcademyACT12:00pm
Sun, June 30GC Suns AcademyBrisbane Lions AcademyQLD11:00am
Mon, July 8Sydney Swans AcademyNorthern TerritoryQLD10:00am
Mon, July 8GC Suns AcademyGWS Giants AcademyQLD12:20pm
Mon, July 8Brisbane Lions AcademyTasmaniaQLD2:40pm
Thu, July 11Brisbane Lions AcademyGWS Giants AcademyQLD9:30am
Thu, July 11TasmaniaSydney Swans AcademyQLD11:45am
Thu, July 11Northern TerritoryGC Suns AcademyQLD2:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back