Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

If it did he is ******* stupid

Those north supporters are ******* stupid

You are coming off as ******* stupid

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How am I coming off as stupid ? Wells is at the end of his career, why should he be forced to sit through a rebuild? Same as Higgins, I didn't begrudge him for leaving to chase a flag. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out. But that's the risk you take.

Getting a draft pick for him is the best thing that could have happened.

While football career's are finite a person's ability to work to earn an income is generally longer than this. He'd have earned in ten years more than what the majority of supporters would earn in 50.

Finishing as a footballer does not mean that a person can't earn a living, like many of us, they just might have to earn a living like the rest of the world - with a handy nest egg sitting there if they had any brains.
I see what you're saying, and I mostly agree.

My point is that I think a footballer has a right to maximise their earnings while they're able to do so, because of exactly what you're saying; it's a job that pays better than most others. But I don't think that those business and life decisions are mutually exclusive with the sentimentality of supporters and the players themselves, as King Corey seems to suggest. Football, and professional sport, is a different business to all others.

How am I coming off as stupid ? Wells is at the end of his career, why should he be forced to sit through a rebuild? Same as Higgins, I didn't begrudge him for leaving to chase a flag. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out. But that's the risk you take.

No, you are tying it to how Harvey was let go. Simply, 600k for 3 years is the reason. The reference to the non renewal of memberships is just a pot shot and you know it

44 players, total games = 4500, Ave = 102.27, 8 players yet to debut
44 players, Ave Age = 25.6

after departures
37 players, total games = 2586, Ave = 69.89, 8 players yet to debut
37 players, Ave Age = 24.2

if we head to the draft and select on average 7 nineteen year olds.

44 players, total games = 2586, Ave = 58.77, 15 players yet to debut
44 players, Ave Age = 23.44

and 17 players eligible for Rising Star Nomination
Okay so if i compare our current average age to the oppositions 2016 team average age we would be 8th.

Freo - 25y 157d
Hawks - 24y 307d
Essendon - 24y 259d
Geel - 24y 201d
West Coast - 24y 175d
Swans - 24y 124d
Tigs - 24y 95d
North - 24y 73d
Port - 24y 40d
Carl - 24y 40d
Crows - 24y 29d
Pies - 23y 310d
Aints - 23y 303d
Dogs - 23y 270d
Dees - 23y 241d
Gold Coast - 23y 197d
North 2017 - 23y 161d
GWS - 23y 99d
Lions - 22y 343g

Games played - moves us from 1st to 8th. 2017 - 14th for games played.

Obviously other teams will chop and change but that's what I'm working with.

I think everyone sensible agrees it's a good thing.

But the question was whether he is leaving over hurt feelings because the club gave the four departing players the honesty they asked for, at they time they asked for it, and then had to get the news out fast before it leaked. And anyone with sense would think it has more to do with money and security. If he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild, Buckley's kindergarten isn't the place to go.

No. Higgins will be apart of our 17,18,19 premiership 3peat.

No, you are tying it to how Harvey was let go. Simply, 600k for 3 years is the reason. The reference to the non renewal of memberships is just a pot shot and you know it

I do agree we should never match the reported salary of collingwood and a comp pick is for the best.

Im just getting sick of the "Lol North letting go of its 4 best players bullshit"

After the way the retirements were announced, I am not sure any of us can complain about how players announce their departure.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chasing a flag? If you think Collingwood is anywhere near a flag you come off as a moron IMO.

https://www.instagram.com/daniel_wells8/
daniel_wells8

Yesterday it came out that I will no longer be playing with the Kangaroos next year. I Just wanted to say that it weighs heavy on my heart that I have to leave this club that I literally grew up with. It's been an amazing 14 years with the Roos and the memories will remain forever. Just wanted to thank everyone that has been on my journey at the Roos and made an impact during my time there. It is an amazing club and I will be forever grateful for what they have done for me and my family. As I truly know it could never be repaid in full. Thank you to all the supporters and fans.. you have been amazing over the years and can't thank you all enough.
Now I know what s**t tastes like.

compounded by the fact that how the club treated two of his best mates in Boomer and Drew.

Treated them? By putting their needs first instead of the club, and bowing to their request for honesty on their status for next year, that ultimately let the air out of the tyre and drove the nail in our season?

Wish my workplace was as honest and respectful as they were to the departed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back