Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not overly angry with the guy per se, I'm just disappointed and have lost a bit of respect for him in the manner of his leaving.

I guess that is because that not for one second do I believe that , in his heart of hearts, he didn't know that he had already decided to leave before now.

Anyway hopefully we get something reasonable as compensation.

That'd be like taking a pocket knife to a gun fight :stern look
No it would be like taking a Rocket Launcher to a Gun Fight thank you very much. Like I said leave the thinking and mind games to me. You are out of our depth. :stern look

I don't think he owes anything to us the same way that Greenwood did

Would have to pay me more that 600K a year to play under that FIGJAM at Collingwood.

Enjoy the s**t club with s**t culture.

Money shouldn't be the deciding factor in his decision, we've paid him very very well over the last few years, putting a meal on the table every night and paying the bills wouldn't even remotely be an issue.

Would have to pay me more that 600K a year to play under that FIGJAM at Collingwood.

Money shouldn't be the deciding factor in his decision, we've paid him very very well over the last few years, putting a meal on the table every night and paying the bills wouldn't even remotely be an issue.
I completely disagree.

A footballers professional career is only finite. They have a right to make as much money as they can to provide for their family - not only now but in the future, also - while they're still good enough and their body is still able to go through the rigors of being a professional athlete.

I don't begrudge him this decision, and I wish him all the best. He will forever remain a North Melbourne person to me.

A footballers professional career is only finite. They have a right to make as much money as they can to provide for their family - not only now but in the future, also - while they're still good enough and their body is still able to go through the rigors of being a professional athlete.

Ok so translation - it's a business.

I don't begrudge him this decision, and I wish him all the best.

Now hang on it's a business though. So why would I wishing someone joining a competitor the best of luck especially when we wanted to retain them? The act means this does not apply:

He will forever remain a North Melbourne person to me.

What an absolute terrible farewell message.

Can argue he's not a wordsmith but it comes across incredibly disingenuous and attempts to shift all blame from himself.

"have to leave" no no you didn't. You chose to leave Daniel.

And the use of "it came out" rather than was announced as if he was a naughty kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar
Did you expect any different? If he was gonna take any responsibility he would have done it at the Syd

Ok so translation - it's a business.

Now hang on it's a business though. So why would I wishing someone joining a competitor the best of luck especially when we wanted to retain them? The act means this does not apply:
I don't think doing the best thing for your career and sentimentality are mutually exclusive.

It is business, in part, but football, and professional sport in general, is a business like no other. In my opinion there is room for both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not overly angry with the guy per se, I'm just disappointed and have lost a bit of respect for him in the manner of his leaving.

I guess that is because that not for one second do I believe that , in his heart of hearts, he didn't know that he had already decided to leave before now.

Anyway hopefully we get something reasonable as compensation.
After the way the retirements were announced, I am not sure any of us can complain about how players announce their departure.

GL Mr. Wells, you were a pleasure to watch.

May the pick we get for you be just as good as you have been for us.

After the way the retirements were announced, I am not sure any of us can complain about how players announce their departure.

GL Mr. Wells, you were a pleasure to watch.

May the pick we get for you be just as good as you have been for us.

The members deserve better. The members who stump up money out of their average wages, so that these guys can live a good life.

Announcing it like he did, rather than at the Syd to thank the supporters, only insults us, not the decision makers at the club.

I completely disagree.

I don't begrudge him this decision, and I wish him all the best. He will forever remain a North Melbourne person to me.

While football career's are finite a person's ability to work to earn an income is generally longer than this. He'd have earned in ten years more than what the majority of supporters would earn in 50.

Finishing as a footballer does not mean that a person can't earn a living, like many of us, they just might have to earn a living like the rest of the world - with a handy nest egg sitting there if they had any brains.

Or they go into the already overpopulated media. (Yes, I know of non-playing football positions, just being a smartarse)

Nah. Haven't you heard all retiring footballers are forced to sign away their right to get another job for the rest of eternity upon leaving their final club.

The members deserve better. The members who stump up money out of their average wages, so that these guys can live a good life.

Announcing it like he did, rather than at the Syd to thank the supporters, only insults us, not the decision makers at the club.
Do you think the way the club handled the Boomer retirement by sending out a tweet with the club combining it with Firrito and Petrie retiring, play a part in why Wells decided to leave? I follow North on Facebook and Twitter, there's still a large number of your members who are saying they won't renew their memberships because of it.

I find the angst baffling to be honest. He owes the club nothing - there was a contract, he served it, and now there isn't. Any player can get injured, it isn't like he did it on purpose, or that it was to his benefit. If he played every game for the last 3 years, I bet his contract offers would be much bigger and he would be a star of the comp.

You can question the wording of an Instagram message if you like, but by all reports he is a very shy guy and this type of thing is not his strength. The timing of announcements, the wording, blah blah who gives a stuff? Obviously a lot of people, but I'm not one of them. I mean ultimately I know nothing about him, or any footballer. I loved watching him play, it will be a bit sad seeing him in another jumper, and it is a shame that he doesn't love the club so much that he wouldn't consider leaving. I'd love for the club to be that good. I say that as a supporter because I love the club - but for players it is a very different thing and to think otherwise is naive at best.

Do you think the way the club handled the Boomer retirement by sending out a tweet with the club combining it with Firrito and Petrie retiring, play a part in why Wells decided to leave? I follow North on Facebook and Twitter, there's still a large number of your members who are saying they won't renew their memberships because of it.

If it did he is ******* stupid

Those north supporters are ******* stupid

You are coming off as ******* stupid

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have no idea why you would. I don't even read what those idiots have to say.

It wasnt a request. I'd do it now but I'm not in the office and I'm useless without paper to scribble notes on. I'm generally interested so i might do it first thing tomorrow.

44 players, total games = 4500, Ave = 102.27, 8 players yet to debut
44 players, Ave Age = 25.6

after departures
37 players, total games = 2586, Ave = 69.89, 8 players yet to debut
37 players, Ave Age = 24.2

if we head to the draft and select on average 7 nineteen year olds.

44 players, total games = 2586, Ave = 58.77, 15 players yet to debut
44 players, Ave Age = 23.44

and 17 players eligible for Rising Star Nomination

I seriously doubt the accuracy of that first sentence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back