2017 Fixture news and leaks

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but that hurts the smaller clubs bottom line. I would think every club has playing the Pies twice on their wish list. You have to throw us minnows a bone every now and again.

At least under this system you know you would definitely get us twice sometimes, even if it is only once every four years. That's a better strike rate than North, the Dogs or St Kilda are currently 'enjoying'.

I'd take 2 games against the Pies. Be interesting to see where they are at this year, and usually if the Pies are in town and the Suns are travelling alright, could have a sell out at Metricon.

Playing us twice is very unlikely next year. We only get a max of 2 double ups from the bottom 6 so you'll be competing against Carlton, Essendon and Richmond. Hopefully we do play you at Metricon though, I like making that trip.

Nah, the current system works better than that one. Rather than being 'fair' it would actually create massive discrepancies in the fixture and would also create a powerful incentive to tank if you were on the cusp of 12th-13th, for example.

The aim should be to have every team play a range of strong/mediocre/weak teams twice, and the current system does a decent job while still allowing flexibility around travel and blockbusters etc.

Yeah - they still need the flexability to ensure the big clubs clash as well as the interstate derby/showdown/Q clash etc happen.

You would be ok with playing Freo once?

I could write a novel on this topic, but I'll try to keep it brief.

I always look at the NFL model for fixtures and think, why can't we have that? Green Bay vs San Fran is a huge rivalry, but they don't force that matchup each year. Instead, they have prescribed rules and the only flexibility is the date and venue. The AFL instead tries to hype the "big 4" and state-based derbies, creating a clear pecking order for the 18 teams (especially the Vic-based ones). If they want equality in the competition, it has to start with the draw, and I'm all for losing a derby if the result is a fairer fixture. (It's not like we won't play every team once each year anyway!)

Oh and regarding tanking, I don't think there would be any more incentive than there currently is with the draft. To offset any perceived tanking the AFL could award prize money (or whatever) to each team based on ladder position. But to be honest, no group of players will ever deliberately try to lose a match, and plenty of teams already effectively tank when they send half their players off for season-ending surgery.

probably... AFL like to stagger games like crazy
if Anzac Day falls right after Easter, you could get something like this in the future

Thu N
(Good) Friday T
Sat
Sat T
Sat N
Sun
Sun T
(Easter) Monday
Anzac Day Tuesday
ANZAC Day is the round after

Will there still be an Easter (Holy) Thursday night game with a game on Good Friday?
It's been leaked that Brisbane host Richmond in round 4 which I think is the Easter weekend.

Given that Brisbane have hosted Easter Thursday in the past, I think it's a fair guess to say Brisbane V Richmond will be that game.

It's been leaked that Brisbane host Richmond in round 4 which I think is the Easter weekend.

Given that Brisbane have hosted Easter Thursday in the past, I think it's a fair guess to say Brisbane V Richmond will be that game.
Doubt it and we don't exactly deserve it. Also us and Richmond both likely to be bottom 4 teams so hardly a prime time game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone write out this tweet? I am on a work computer so can't see tweets.

Opening post updated with all leaks

Have heard the Dogs aren't very happy about being drawn in Geelong. I don't expect much to change with the draw out this time tomorrow, however.
Suck it up Western Bulldogs.
If Melbourne, North and St Kilda have to travel down there year after year at the expense of the traditional VIC power houses of Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood then so do the Dogs.

Suck it up Western Bulldogs.
If Melbourne, North and St Kilda have to travel down there year after year at the expense of the traditional VIC power houses of Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood then so do the Dogs.

In fairness to the Dogs, they're likely to have 50,000+ members next year and would pull a larger crowd against us at the MCG/Etihad than Carlton, Richmond and possibly Essendon.

I actually think it's a good time for you guys.

Round 1 always seems to throw up some strange results.

Whoever plays you guys in Round 2 will have a lot easier game IMO.

The blokes returning will be cactus after round 1.

Then by rights that should be Port, as we had the second most players affected by the 'supplements saga' ;)

In fairness to the Dogs, they're likely to have 50,000+ members next year and would pull a larger crowd against us at the MCG/Etihad than Carlton, Richmond and possibly Essendon.

Agree, if doggies have a another big year there is no reason there crowds and the membership won't rival the blues, given both sides tracking well this could be a Etihad sellout for the AFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, if doggies have a another big year there is no reason there crowds and the membership won't rival the blues, given both sides tracking well this could be a Etihad sellout for the AFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cats/Dogs drew 42,000 at Etihad this year with the Dogs only sitting in the bottom half of the 8. If both are in the top 4, an MCG fixture could attract in excess of 55,000.

Along with the Hawks and Crows, I suspect they'll be one of our double-ups from the top 6 anyhow.

Have heard the Dogs aren't very happy about being drawn in Geelong. I don't expect much to change with the draw out this time tomorrow, however.

What's the big deal? It's Geelong's home game, not as if they won't be able to get some seats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back