Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see us taking Graham with Fagan in charge, disposal skills would be a massive priority. Players like C Cox and Ridley would come into contention with picks 21 or 22.

Hey KM,
With the rise of the Dogs on the back of numerous inside midfielders, can you see more being taken earlier in this draft?
Who are your top 10 contested ball winners?
If I was Dodoro, I would take Setterfield at 1 and be happy when GWS don't match. As good as McGrath is, there is less ceiling than Setterfield.

I stand by my comments on smalls generally having lower ceilings.

Generally at 18 they're among the most advanced but 2-3 years down the track at AFL level they tend to get past by, by those taller types who are still growing into their bodies.

With the smalls (sub 180cm types) my view is take them on who they are today. If they are AFL standard as they are now, take them. If not, pass.

Size may limit McGrath's upside somewhat. But given how advanced his game is and given his improvement over the course of the season (which to me suggests further improvement will come - as a variable that leaves some wiggle room within this rule). I think McGrath is a worthwhile bet with any of those top three picks, wherever he happens to land.

I probably don't have McGrath all things said and done being the best in the draft. Maybe a Setterfield, McCluggage or someone else may be. Drew if he gets midfield time? Who knows. McGrath looks exceptional in any case and a worthwhile top selection with those top overall choices rarely the best player in the draft anyway.
Thanks KM. So sounds like McGrath is more your higher floor, lower ceiling type from this draft where what you see now is more closely going to resemble what you'll get.

If you were to take a stab at it, which 10 players would you see as having the highest probability of being the best or highest ceiling in this draft? Any high risk high reward types you see in later rounds who could potentially one day be considered amongst the best in this draft?

Last edited:

Love your work KM. I really cannot (well i guess more hopeful that we wont ) take English though... especially there.... but you are the guru. We shall see.

Is there any reason you believe we will now take him at 14?

I see you have GC taking Josh Williams. That's not going to happen, we don't have the list spots.

Joyce is being upgraded leaving 5 spots for Bowes, Scheer and 3 top 10's... Would take something pretty crazy for that alter...

Joyce is being upgraded leaving 5 spots for Bowes, Scheer and 3 top 10's... Would take something pretty crazy for that alter...
Wow, really? Looked pretty bloody ordinary in the few games I saw, but I can't say I was watching too closely.

PLEASE PLEASE be right.....................

Marshall key position we need with height

Cox big CHB we need

Long small forward

And hope we take Guelfi

Mate great job again.

Wow, really? Looked pretty bloody ordinary in the few games I saw, but I can't say I was watching too closely.
Yeah signed a two year deal about a month ago... and nah, he has been terrific. Very composed, tough and good by foot out of defence... I'm not saying he hasn't made some mistakes as any 18 year old does, so maybe that's what you saw but in general he has pleasantly surprised a lot of people.
He is from Palm Beach which is the same place as Brad Scheer and also the Crossley brothers who are just coming through the academy now and looking to make a big splash as Ruckman in 2018 and 2019. This Academy idea may not please everyone but it is having the desired effect. Palm Beach has been more renowned for its Surfers than it's footy players in the past.

what is your basis for having the swans take florent ahead of brodie or even scrimshaw? this seems ridiculous to me. i'll be very upset if this happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i knew that but i would of thought it would of been for pick 19 if he made it that far.

KM, with all due respect i'd be filthy if the draft panned out that way for Essendon.

No way is Graham a top 20 pick ahead of the likes of Venables/SPP/Battle. Picking both Graham and Sharenberg would not make sense.

KM, with all due respect i'd be filthy if the draft panned out that way for Essendon.

No way is Graham a top 20 pick ahead of the likes of Venables/SPP/Battle. Picking both Graham and Sharenberg would not make sense.

I've noticed that Twomey has a pretty good knack for picking the Essendon drafts.
He picked Merrett, Parish, Francis, Redman.
Langford the exception.

Then somehow back in the tricky ( compromised ) 2011 draft, somehow Emma Quayle and the Herald Sun guys both picked Kavanaugh.

Maybe Knightmare needs to master the art of buying drinks for Dorodo.

what is your basis for having the swans take florent ahead of brodie or even scrimshaw? this seems ridiculous to me. i'll be very upset if this happens.

Don't be perturbed. IMO Florent will prove to be a superior player to both Brodie and Scrimshaw.

Played almost all of 2016 with a terminally ill father to worry about. Once the pressure was relieved he was sensational.

Likely to be the best steal 3 years down the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back