Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard last night that one of the Collingwood girls did her knee at training , and requires a full reconstruction ......apparently absolutely inconsolable.. had already done a knee, not sure if same, but depending on her age, that maybe the end of her AFL dream b4 it starts, so you can understand her crying at missing the first AFL Womens season & potentially her dream

Girls are really struggling with the training requirements, particularly the running - 2-2.5 hour sessions ......how often would they be training b4 AFL?

Moana Hope ......is really struggling with the running and can't get anywhere near it

Heard last night that one of the Collingwood girls did her knee at training , and requires a full reconstruction ......apparently absolutely inconsolable.. had already done a knee, not sure if same, but depending on her age, that maybe the end of her AFL dream b4 it starts, so you can understand her crying at missing the first AFL Womens season & potentially her dream

Girls are really struggling with the training requirements, particularly the running - 2-2.5 hour sessions ......how often would they be training b4 AFL?

Moana Hope ......is really struggling with the running and can't get anywhere near it

I would expect an above average amount of soft tissue injuries and ACLs as the women push their bodies to professional standards. Most of the girls have likely never even come close to doing anything as intense. Most AFL draftees have been training hard for at least 2 years to make different youth squads hence why they adapt better to stepping up to AFL level pre season. Eventually it will become the norm and prospective draftees will be better prepared in future. My advice to any young girls aiming to be drafted next year, start running!

I would expect an above average amount of soft tissue injuries and ACLs as the women push their bodies to professional standards. Most of the girls have likely never even come close to doing anything as intense. Most AFL draftees have been training hard for at least 2 years to make different youth squads hence why they adapt better to stepping up to AFL level pre season. Eventually it will become the norm and prospective draftees will be better prepared in future. My advice to any young girls aiming to be drafted next year, start running!
:thumbsu: Think we'll see big turnovers of club lists, as girls drop out due to training demands, or inability or desire to increase their fitness .......after the gloss of being an AFL footballer fades to the realization of the demands, there will be a lot of rude awakenings coming

:thumbsu: Think we'll see big turnovers of club lists, as girls drop out due to training demands, or inability or desire to increase their fitness .......after the gloss of being an AFL footballer fades to the realization of the demands, there will be a lot of rude awakenings coming

I think it will depend on just how promoted the game is and what they get out of it. The reason professional sport works is because it's glamorous and training can afford to be hard. If the womans football league fails to reach that image amongst its squad members and future draftees then what are they doing the hard work for? The womans game will probably take a couple of decades to reach its potential so a huge turn over of players is likely at least for a couple of years until the type of player that clubs want is truly known.

Would all be part of why we're only getting shortened seasons to start with I imagine, while every one else ramps up at state level.

I think it will depend on just how promoted the game is and what they get out of it. The reason professional sport works is because it's glamorous and training can afford to be hard. If the womans football league fails to reach that image amongst its squad members and future draftees then what are they doing the hard work for? The womans game will probably take a couple of decades to reach its potential so a huge turn over of players is likely at least for a couple of years until the type of player that clubs want is truly known.
IMO this competition will go at a million miles an hour in development ......my expectation of the game next year to 5-10 years will be unrecognizable .......don't think it'll be a 20 year slowburn

Would all be part of why we're only getting shortened seasons to start with I imagine, while every one else ramps up at state level.
Interesting though 2 1/2 hour training sessions, not sure how many days a week ? ......for, is it a 7 game season?

IMO this competition will go at a million miles an hour in development ......my expectation of the game next year to 5-10 years will be unrecognizable .......don't think it'll be a 20 year slowburn

Yeah true, it will get better but I mean that it will take over a decade to settle down. Woman have different expectations. You wont get draftees playing from 18 until 33-34 in the womans league. Some will quit to or take a year off to have a child (like they do in netball), some will quit for career opportunites and while the grass roots system gets better developed some will just quit because the demands are way too high. So just as the comp looks like it is settling down, a whole host of players will quit and clubs will change direction and tact in the types of players they want. Anyways, its exciting, Im looking forward to it.

Semi professional athletes often have fewer training sessions per week but train longer

The pros can have a one hour running session if that's what's needed, a weights session the next day, some skills work the day after.

But people still juggling jobs can't afford multiple bits-and-pieces sessions over the week.

Much easier for them to negotiate a couple of larger blocks of time with their employer.

So they have to cram all their training into these sessions.

Not saying this is the case with the women's teams - I have no idea what training they are doing. Just have seen it in other sports.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? they are training on Monday evenings as many are balancing work and study commitments. They also train at the same time up in the NT and a video link occurs so that the same training is happening with both parts of the squad. They do not have access to a lot of the other services that the men's team has i.e. the massages etc but are provided with an allowance from the AFL for them to see a health professional in their own time, is what I was told is happening. The AFL are paying for most of the team costs initially.

Lets not forget that women are nearly twice as likely to rupture an ACL as men, which is a frighting statistic

Lets not forget that women are nearly twice as likely to rupture an ACL as men, which is a frighting statistic

Where are those statistics from? Australia? If so then you need to take into account the issues around the type of sport that women are playing there in netball, where a lot of those knee injuries occur. It's not the physiology of a woman I bet, but more to do with the type of sport that the majority play.

Where are those statistics from? Australia? If so then you need to take into account the issues around the type of sport that women are playing there in netball, where a lot of those knee injuries occur. It's not the physiology of a woman I bet, but more to do with the type of sport that the majority play.
I have read stats that say there is a gender difference in ACL injuries, but also Netball, which involve sudden stopping and twisting on a non slip floor makes it worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to state the SANFL are starting a League with 4 sides taking part. Adam Kelly from the SANFL will be on 5aa after 6

GLENELG, North Adelaide, Norwood and West Adelaide will contest the inaugural SANFL women’s league.

The SANFL today revealed the four sides that would make up the first season of the new competition when it kicks off in February.

The announcement comes after six of the eight non-AFL aligned clubs formally expressed an interest in joining the league.

South Adelaide and Central District were not awarded licences for the new competition.

Interesting though 2 1/2 hour training sessions, not sure how many days a week ? ......for, is it a 7 game season?

Problem is I dont think anyone really knows what the definition of "professional female afl footballer". This is the danger of the top down approach. Women are going from barely playing, or playing amateur footy, to professional training regimes - like trying to climb out of quick sand onto a speeding train.

Just to state the SANFL are starting a League with 4 sides taking part. Adam Kelly from the SANFL will be on 5aa after 6

GLENELG, North Adelaide, Norwood and West Adelaide will contest the inaugural SANFL women’s league.

The SANFL today revealed the four sides that would make up the first season of the new competition when it kicks off in February.

The announcement comes after six of the eight non-AFL aligned clubs formally expressed an interest in joining the league.

South Adelaide and Central District were not awarded licences for the new competition.
Port not in this one either? What league is their "grass roots" women's team gonna play in?

Port not in this one either? What league is their "grass roots" women's team gonna play in?

The one they already play in - the SAWFL. Westies play in Div 1 there too. The first time my team played Port the score was 0.0 0 to 22.10 142. We were the 142. The next time they had improved, it was 8.13 61 to 2.3 15 (our way again). They had access to Chad Cornes coming down to help them out etc and well, they really struggled with players turning up for games etc.

The one they already play in - the SAWFL. Westies play in Div 1 there too. The first time my team played Port the score was 0.0 0 to 22.10 142. We were the 142. The next time they had improved, it was 8.13 61 to 2.3 15 (our way again). They had access to Chad Cornes coming down to help them out etc and well, they really struggled with players turning up for games etc.
So you had a deck chair in the 10 mtr square, reading a book then ;)

Thinking about it earlier did the AFL miss the boat, Should the men's Crows vs Melbourne game in NT be earlier in the season, with the women's teams playing first.
Would have been a great Doubleheader, and NT would have turned it into a great party environment, AFL could have gained some good mileage out of it, with some of the Ex-players hanging around for Sunday sessions with the locals

Thinking about it earlier did the AFL miss the boat, Should the men's Crows vs Melbourne game in NT be earlier in the season, with the women's teams playing first.
Would have been a great Doubleheader, and NT would have turned it into a great party environment, AFL could have gained some good mileage out of it, with some of the Ex-players hanging around for Sunday sessions with the locals

The Women's comp will be completed by the time the men's season starts.

Problem is I dont think anyone really knows what the definition of "professional female afl footballer". This is the danger of the top down approach. Women are going from barely playing, or playing amateur footy, to professional training regimes - like trying to climb out of quick sand onto a speeding train.
I'm sure they haven't just glued a few of Rory Sloane's sessions together for them...

or at least if they are the performance managers are incompetent. I'm sure their pushing the envelope to get the most they can out of them, but just like new draftees the workloads have to be managed, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back