Strategy 2017 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

The major worry now is his lack of any foot speed whatsoever. He is quite a lot slower than Hawkins and that's saying something.
I would argue Taylor is our slowest player on the list (including Horlin-Smith) and at centre half forward, if he isn't marking it, he is going to be getting shown up when the ball hits the deck as we have already seen on occasions in the recent finals campaign. Most of the best teams have explosive talls. A forward setup of Hawkins and Taylor would be similar to the Bartel, Kelly, Mackie conundrum we had down back a couple years ago.

We may have to bite the bullet and just hope Hawkins can kick another 60 goals and Menzel & McCarthy remain injury-free for another full year.
That is just plain incorrect. Taylor is quick for a tall bloke, just runs awkwardly like Stevie j did

I'm pretty sure he is really quick over the first 20m Bobby... I have a feeling he was up there for the club there.

I could be just making stuff up of course, but it is why they are happy playing him on smalls as well
Even if you are just making it up it would seem an appropriate conversation in which to do it.

Taylor is quick for a key defender.

Even if you are just making it up it would seem an appropriate conversation in which to do it.

Well someone else mentioned it as well, I was sure I had read he was (maybe a few years ago) in the top 3 for speed over 20m

I'm pretty sure he is really quick over the first 20m Bobby... I have a feeling he was up there for the club there.

I could be just making stuff up of course, but it is why they are happy playing him on smalls as well

Fair enough.
I'm actually very surprised to hear that.
One wonders when those trials were done though because the Taylor over the last 5 seasons has regressed in my opinion. It is kind of like Andrew Mackie who was once a pretty nimble tall but over the last 5 years, he's now a liability as he gets exposed for his lack of foot speed.
Taylor is one of the best contested marks in the game, even today, so he doesn't get shown up as often as others but when it comes to a foot race, of all our defenders, I'd still take Lonergan, Enright and Mackie to just beat him if it was a chase for Breust or Puopolo etc. Henderson would rival him as he's also very, very slow.

Shame, I really believed Taylor would keep all or most of his athleticism late into his 30's as I thought starting AFL at a mature age would hold him in good stead later on down the track. Just looks to be regressing at an alarming rate (like Hawkins is).

I dont see it. Ruggles not there?
Read the bloody OP. Henderson CHF and Taylor CHB.
Their mistake was borne from when they did their backline analysis. I really shouldn't have to spell this out.

Taylor has consistently played on Buddy throughout his career - dare day you need place and endurance to fill that role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really dont get it? Do you want henderson at chb and taylor at chf?
7. GEELONG
B: Jake Kolodjashnij, Tom Lonergan, Jed Bews
HB: Zach Tuohy, Harry Taylor, Jackson Thurlow
C: Mitch Duncan,Cam Guthrie, Steven Motlop
HF: Daniel Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Lincoln McCarthy
F: Nakia Cockatoo, Tom Hawkins, Scott Selwood
Foll:
Zac Smith, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood
I/C: Sam Menegola, Andrew Mackie, Mark Blicavs, Josh Cowan

Taylor training with the forward line, if those idiots had any clue they'd know that, hence...
I'll be staggered if Henderson is our CHF but I do acknowledge that error is borne from their previous analysis of the defence so it's still the same error as then.

7. GEELONG
B:
Jake Kolodjashnij, Tom Lonergan, Jed Bews
HB: Zach Tuohy, Harry Taylor, Jackson Thurlow
C: Mitch Duncan,Cam Guthrie, Steven Motlop
HF: Daniel Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Lincoln McCarthy
F: Nakia Cockatoo, Tom Hawkins, Scott Selwood
Foll:
Zac Smith, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood
I/C: Sam Menegola, Andrew Mackie, Mark Blicavs, Josh Cowan

Taylor training with the forward line, if those idiots had any clue they'd know that, hence...
I really dont get it.

I really dont get it.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? They named Taylor at CHB and Henderson up forward. Taylor has been training up forward. That error carries over to their analysis of the forward line... hence... "the error is borne out of their previous analysis".

Are you being deliberately obtuse? They named Taylor at CHB and Henderson up forward. Taylor has been training up forward. That error carries over to their analysis of the forward line... hence... "the error is borne out of their previous analysis".
But what if they named the forward line first before the defence? Perhaps taylor is the error borne out of the henderson mistake.

I do agree that taylor looks more likely being forward though.

So what happens when Lonergan hits the wall?
Continue playing Taylor forward and hope Kolodjashnij and Henderson can hold down the fort?

But what if they named the forward line first before the defence? Perhaps taylor is the error borne out of the henderson mistake.

I do agree that taylor looks more likely being forward though.
It matters little Taylor has been training up forward so an AFL media team that was on the ball would know that.. I mean we all do.

So whether it was forwards or defence first surely they'd consider changes that the club themselves appear to be earmarking.

Continue playing Taylor forward and hope Kolodjashnij and Henderson can hold down the fort?
I'll go with if thanks all the same. It may happen, it may not.
If it happens I'd suspect they'd play Stanley and/or Black/House up forward.

Enter Blicavs.
He will get a KB post, in my 17 dreams.
Hendo
Blicavs
Centre
Taylor
Hawkins

Enter Blicavs.
He will get a KB post, in my 17 dreams.
Hendo
Blicavs
Centre
Taylor
Hawkins
How come you want Blitz at CHB?
He's never shown anything to prove he could be a decent key defender, not a good contested mark and it would waste he's greatest strength which is his endurance.
Also Gardner is showing really good signs at FB in the VFL.
Also Kolo is also about the same size as Rance who is the best FB in the league.

How come you want Blitz at CHB?
He's never shown anything to prove he could be a decent key defender, not a good contested mark and it would waste he's greatest strength which is his endurance.
Also Gardner is showing really good signs at FB in the VFL.
Also Kolo is also about the same size as Rance who is the best FB in the league.
Yep, once Lonners goes Gardner will fill the void.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back