On the weekend I played...

Remove this Banner Ad

While I was at a Christmas party, the rest of the group played Judge Dredd, trying out the towers:

07652ddef5d4b3c5261e1ffb52ae3542.jpg

6ada4bb806fc10ee543167fa4680322d.jpg

f8a1a588e580bd869fd9786c703c39ae.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately for those here in SA The Hungry Hippo board game cafe is closing up for awhile as they find new premises. Last day in Hindley St. tomorrow. The wife and I caught up with some friends there tonight. Played Concept and Pandemic Iberia. Won the former and we all died in the latter. Too much wasted actions on the new 'toys' of railroads.

Forbidden Stars

Finally got a game!

It is pretty bloody good.

Won as Chaos marines. Opponent stuffed up a couple of orders forgetting what "adjacent" means, giving me a better shot at the win.

f342a10ad691027b57b561520bfb98c4.jpg

Another go at Betrayal but it was Haunt 43 - which seems to be the most despised one in the game.

Took HOURS to finish because we were puzzling out the rules.

In the end the heroes made a last ditch trade of a ton of items (killing one of the heroes - me - as loss of one item drained two stats to 0) which buffed the final survivors attack to 7 dice...

An attack that failed utterly. 5 blanks rolled. s**t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0d0ed4fbc10d9cd4eb8aee5c4876cb19.jpg

Runewars - a big game.

Get the most dragon rune tokens and win.

2pm until 12am with a break for dinner.

Final decider was influence chips, but we aren't sure we played heroes right.

The board ended with me turtled over my runes, and my opponent picking up a rune right at the end. I played it pretty loose at the last turn thinking I had won it.

We called it a draw based on the fact we messed a couple of things up.

Heroes: once I figure out what we did wrong with these I will post it here to learn the rest of you.

Pandemic - Reign of Cthulhu got it's first run last night. Setting up, Cthulhu hidden afterwards, once he shows up it's game over.

And it was game over :( Unlike Pandemic you don't have breakouts. If you have 3 cultists (diseases) on a location and you get a 4th you have an Awakening where the next Old God is shown. And they each have a detrimental effect. Some permanent (like needing an extra card to close a Gate (cure a disease)) and some temporary - like discard a couple of cards right away. What stuff us was there's a Shoggoth - a monster senior type disciple of the old Gods. When it appears it starts moving towards the nearest open Gate and if it reaches you get an Awakening ritual. By the end of the game we'd realised it's worth burning cards to move around to stop that occurring. Realisation came too late though. We'll know for next time though.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3143.JPG
    IMG_3143.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 9
Played Inis (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155821/inis) on the weekend. Very nicely produced card drafting game that plays out on a buildable map. Quick to get your head around and should play out different every time as there are enough random elements to add that falvour. Really liked this and is now on my wishlist.

Also played Castles of Burgundy (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84876/castles-burgundy). Very Euro, worker placement and points salad style game but had a nice dice mechanic that kept things interesting.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169611/love-letter-hobbit-battle-five-armies

I'd never played Love Letter before. Quite enjoyable. Rules are pretty easy to pick.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/198773/codenames-pictures

Picked this up recently and had a few goes of it. The mash up nature of the pictures certainly gives you more options in terms of coming up with clues (compared to the original). Conversely, it increases the chance that your clue could be misinterpreted by your teammates. So it could be said to be both easier and harder than the original version.

The only gripe I have about Pictures is that whereas the original has the words duplicated and facing both ways, the pictures face one way only. This makes it somewhat difficult if you're the spymaster and the cards are placed so they're facing the field ops. There were times where I had to move to the other side of the table to get a decent look at a picture. If you have a 'lazy Susan' at home, I'd suggest making use of it.

Got in Lords of Waterdeep - must play more - and Zeppelin Attack.

LoW is a good little game that is quicker to play than it looks.

ZA is an overly complicated deck builder that is harder to play than it should be.

Got in Lords of Waterdeep - must play more - and Zeppelin Attack.

LoW is a good little game that is quicker to play than it looks.

ZA is an overly complicated deck builder that is harder to play than it should be.
You only said both of those things because I won both games.

I think Zeppelin Attack needs a rules rewrite. It's a simple game with terribly written rules. I'll have to drag out the expansion next time we play Waterdeep. Such a fine game.

Taught my sister and her husband Dead of Winter on Saturday night. Watched a couple of prep videos with them before hand to give the gist of it before we started.

My wife has the very first turn and goes to move one of her survivors, rolls the D12 for exposure - Instantly dead, a 1/12 chance, crap that's a bad intro to the game. OK, she tries the same move with her remaining survivor, dead again! How unlucky!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back