Past #2: Marley Williams - delisted after 60 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Marley

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he and the entire footy dept didn't see eye to eye. There were a lot of reports of behavioral issues with Marley, and I think the fact the club pushed him out the door while he was still contracted for essentially nothing speaks volumes to the notion that the club had just had enough of him. Considering they stood by him through his gbh trial, I'd say there would have been some pretty serious issues going on behind closed doors regarding his behaviour outside and within the club.

If he was 10 years older then he'd probably still be a magpie, but you can't get away with as much these days unless you're Dane Swan quality, and Marley isn't that. Fingers crossed that this was the kick in the arse he needed, because at his best he's a really fantastic player, even with his shoddy disposal. In a 1v1 contest you'd back him every time.

Knowing someone who used to play for Collingwood, I haven't heard the most reassuring things about Buckley as a coach or as a manager of people. Young players often have behavioural issues, it comes down to how you deal with it. I've never seen a premiership team of angels, typically the more baggage, the more potential. However, it is an extremely difficult task to control loose cannons and I don't think Buckley is up to it.

He can find 40 choir boys to play for the club, but they are not going to achieve anything. Not saying there is anything wrong with choir boys, but you need certain qualities and traits in players and they are more plentiful in bad boys than they are in choir boys.

Knowing someone who used to play for Collingwood, I haven't heard the most reassuring things about Buckley as a coach or as a manager of people. Young players often have behavioural issues, it comes down to how you deal with it. I've never seen a premiership team of angels, typically the more baggage, the more potential. However, it is an extremely difficult task to control loose cannons and I don't think Buckley is up to it.

He can find 40 choir boys to play for the club, but they are not going to achieve anything. Not saying there is anything wrong with choir boys, but you need certain qualities and traits in players and they are more plentiful in bad boys than they are in choir boys.
Ok, I guess that was a nice opportunity for you to pot Buckley, but as I said earlier, this goes deeper than that. It wasn't just Buckley who wanted him out, it was the entire footy dept. I can't remember the last time Derek Hine spoke about a player as if he was going to be delisted whilst under contract even though he was easily best 22 when in form.

I'm not a massive fan of Buckley the man manager myself, but in Williams' case, I don't think Buckley was the sole driver behind his demise at Collingwood.

Ok, I guess that was a nice opportunity for you to pot Buckley, but as I said earlier, this goes deeper than that. It wasn't just Buckley who wanted him out, it was the entire footy dept. I can't remember the last time Derek Hine spoke about a player as if he was going to be delisted whilst under contract even though he was easily best 22 when in form.

I'm not a massive fan of Buckley the man manager myself, but in Williams' case, I don't think Buckley was the sole driver behind his demise at Collingwood.
Interesting theory, I heard he was a sweetener for the Wells deal but each to their own.

Interesting theory, I heard he was a sweetener for the Wells deal but each to their own.
Can confirm that Williams was on the way out regardless of whether North or anyone for that matter, took him or not.
Collingwood may have accepted a junk pick rather than a third rounder or such as an incentive for North not to match the Wells deal, but it seems like a stretch to me.

Can confirm that Williams was on the way out regardless of whether North or anyone for that matter, took him or not.
Collingwood may have accepted a junk pick rather than a third rounder or such as an incentive for North not to match the Wells deal, but it seems like a stretch to me.

Yeah, sounds like it was a no-win situation for Collingwood. From what you guys are saying (and it makes the most sense in the circumstances), they had to cut him loose without any chance of receiving appropriate compensation, and every chance that he would come good elsewhere. We sort of went through the same thing with Aaron Black. It might come back to bite us, but by the end of last season, keeping him was no longer an option.

Drew Petrie would be livid they brought this in the year he left the club... although could be astute by Mazda rather than coincidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like a great kick. Did we get confirmation as to which post he was aiming at?

He could have been aiming for the left goal post based on his kicking appraisal l keep reading about.

From what i have seen he actually kicks straight but has misjudged distance a few times and kicked over people's heads when he kicks at speed. Kicked a few goals at the pies as a defender so could be handy from 60 out on the run

It looks like a great kick. Did we get confirmation as to which post he was aiming at?

He could have been aiming for the left goal post based on his kicking appraisal l keep reading about.

Definitely the right post, unfortunately he wasn't aiming for the city end. :thumbsdown:

Drew Petrie would be livid they brought this in the year he left the club... although could be astute by Mazda rather than coincidence.

Indeed. And really, make it matchday conditions and anyone on our list would be capable of winning the million.

Excepting the one player who would struggle with the distance.

Can i ask a question?

Im going too anyway. But i figured i might get a better perspective from you guys.

This seems like a major screwup in so many ways. If this was a "prank" it would have been handled better. Do you think mazda actually f'd up and thought nobody would manage this in a no pressure drill? Let alone the first person.

I feel like marley is getting a car if the media actually start commenting on this further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back