Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fremantle's struggles last year were well documented, but the excuse of injuries was accepted by most as an explanation for their swift descent down the ladder. This season, with new recruit Cam McCarthy and the return of Sandilands and Fyfe, they were supposed to be fit and primed for a crack on the eight.

Their shambolic display against Geelong suggests however that there are much deeper problems at the Dockers. Their skill levels were highly subpar for an AFL list, and they rely on the same few players to lift them. Sandilands is reaching the end and none of the Freo depth rucks look much chop out. Hogan re-signing with the Dees was a major blow as indications were that the Dockers made a major push to bring him back to WA to replace Pav. With no real KPF, limited goal scoring ability and a lack of run out of defence, Freo played like a team with a bottom four list.

So far Lyon has not indicated that Freo is in a rebuild mode,bringing in players like Hill, Kersten and Hamling who it was hoped would make an immediate impact. A look at their fixture would suggest that there are only four winnable games before the bye, at what stage does Ross Lyon's tenure become untenable for the Fremantle board, who extended his contract last year.

Said it else where, Ross and Freo need to part ways. He has been a great coach for them, took them to a grand final and a minor premiership but he is passed it in the modern game. The longer he stays the further Freo are from their inaugural flag.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Yes, and quite poorly. Have not played good footy for nearly two years.

Melbourne have been s**t for a decade.
I understand but there are hundreds of these threads and they're just so stupid and premature at the moment. If we come out and beat port on the weekend the entire thread looks stupid as *.

I understand but there are hundreds of these threads and they're just so stupid and premature at the moment. If we come out and beat port on the weekend the entire thread looks stupid as ****.
I reckon it's fairly unlikely we'll beat Port, but even if we do, the question will remain. What is going on at Freo?

We fielded the third oldest side on the weekend - only West Coast and Hawthorn were older. West Coast are obviously pushing for a premiership, Hawthorn are somewhere in between rebuilding and making another tilt - results will determine what path they eventually take.

What are we doing?

I reckon it's fairly unlikely we'll beat Port, but even if we do, the question will remain. What is going on at Freo?

We fielded the third oldest side on the weekend - only West Coast and Hawthorn were older. West Coast are obviously pushing for a premiership, Hawthorn are somewhere in between rebuilding and making another tilt - results will determine what path they eventually take.

What are we doing?
This thread is an overreaction for a poor performance on the weekend against a side who played in a prelim last year. We still have foot soldiers to phase out (Suban, Dawson, Eventually D.Pearce, Griffen etc) But you can't just field a side full of kids and expect to remain somewhat competitive. Our main issues are still transitioning out of the backline and our inability to to use the ball well going inside 50, The addition of Hill should help in both of those areas and if Bennell can ever get on the park he should be a mainstay at half forward for us. Hopefully some more youth is brought in this week such as Balic, but the players need time to grow. Can't expect McCarthy to be the saviour after missing a whole season of football.

Let's hold judgement for a sensible period. They played some good footy during the pre season, have a strengthened squad with notable returns and recruitment and a good coach.

They'll find their rhythm

This thread is an overreaction for a poor performance on the weekend against a side who played in a prelim last year. We still have foot soldiers to phase out (Suban, Dawson, Eventually D.Pearce, Griffen etc) But you can't just field a side full of kids and expect to remain somewhat competitive. Our main issues are still transitioning out of the backline and our inability to to use the ball well going inside 50, The addition of Hill should help in both of those areas and if Bennell can ever get on the park he should be a mainstay at half forward for us. Hopefully some more youth is brought in this week such as Balic, but the players need time to grow. Can't expect McCarthy to be the saviour after missing a whole season of football.
I think most people thought we'd put in a better performance with Fyfe back, as well as Sandilands, Johnson. The addition of the recruits were simply to round off pockets of deficiency, not act as saviours. If anything we looked more deficient - our players were ignoring each other and in some cases spoiling each other.

We played a team of veterans and got pumped. It was a bleak performance.

I think most people thought we'd put in a better performance with Fyfe back, as well as Sandilands, Johnson.

We played a team of veterans and got pumped. It was a bleak performance.
Johnson hasn't played for 12 months, Fyfe hadn't played for 12 months. It's gonna take some time. Yea it was a poor performance but there were plenty of positives as well. McCarthy having 6 shots on goal is pretty impressive if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson hasn't played for 12 months, Fyfe hadn't played for 12 months. It's gonna take some time. Yea it was a poor performance but there were plenty of positives as well. McCarthy having 6 shots on goal is pretty impressive if you ask me.
But how much time? Johnson is 32. Sandilands is 34.

By the time it is sorted, what will our win-loss record be? Will we make finals? Who will retire at the end of the year? Will we be in the same position next year, waiting on a new team to gel because of a bunch of retirees?

McCarthys stats were a little misleading, most of his 6 shots were junktime with the game well and truly decided.

When the game was on the line he was a ghost.

What are we doing?
where do you find that info for teams?

But how much time? Johnson is 32. Sandilands is 34.

By the time it is sorted, what will our win-loss record be? Will we make finals? Who will retire at the end of the year? Will we be in the same position next year, waiting on a new team to gel because of a bunch of retirees?
How much time? Well more than 1 game for a start.

McCarthys stats were a little misleading, most of his 6 shots were junktime with the game well and truly decided.

When the game was on the line he was a ghost.
Had 3 points at halftime so I'm not sure what you're talking about. He was quiet but that's how he plays. Like Jeremy Cameron he only needs about 10 touches to have an impact.

Had 3 points at halftime so I'm not sure what you're talking about. He was quiet but that's how he plays. Like Jeremy Cameron he only needs about 10 touches to have an impact.

Only had 1 point to half time, double check your stats.

Yes we were bad but let's just settle down, sack him? Forget it let's just decapitate him instead!

Geelong are decent firstly. We kicked poorly in front of goals, hit the post 3 times, they kicked a few arsey ones and we handed them a few with poor skills.

Most Freo fans know we will be bottom 6 this year and probably next year will be outside the 8 again - the club knows this is a build for a tilt in 2020. The keys for this year are to find some kids who can play (Balic, Logue, Tucker, Weller, Blakely, Langdon should all be best 22 later in the year) from our recent draftees and to get Bennell up and running and Fyfe re-signed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back