Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

My mistake. However my point still stands, He had enough opportunities but couldn't make Geelong pay. I thought it was a good game for somebody who hasn't played AFL footy for 12 months.

The potential is there for McCarthy, but getting excited off a game where he only got involved once the sting had gone out of it isn't really praise worthy.

McCarthy presented really well I thought, particularly in the second half, the forward movement was so slow that no forward could have a great game, I thought he created space and was impressive tbh..

I understand where the OP is coming from and it was a well written post too.

However, I do think it may be best to wait until around RD 7 or 8 to see how all sides have settled in to the season proper plus who has improved and who hasn't before any real judgement calls can be made.

Having said that, I am not sure that Ross Lyon is as good a coach as many believe he is. At the Saints he inherited a very good developing list and after getting to the big dance, he decimated it by topping up with very poor choices in the hope of prolonging their finals assault. He then jumped ship unexpectedly to Freo who also had a terrific developing list and took them to the GF. Now he faces a massive challenge with some fading stars and player turnover, I'll be interested to see if he jumps ship unexpectedly again (reckon he will go to the Pies next :)).

McCarthy presented really well I thought, particularly in the second half, the forward movement was so slow that no forward could have a great game, I thought he created space and was impressive tbh..
Na kane249 says we aren't allowed to be impressed with his performance. Fair dinkum, a guy doesn't play for 12 months and people expect him to kick bags of 5 every week.

The thing that tells me Lyon is finished is the lame excuse for the loss - "I didn't prepare the team well enough" or words to that effect. He had six months to prepare for Round 1. It's the only game where a team has that luxury, and yet he got it wrong. Just as he did last year when, IIRC, he introduced a new game plan five minutes out from the start of the season.

Lyon may prove us all wrong, but I doubt it.

They will improve and win 6-8 games.
People expect turnarounds to happen at an unrealistic time frame these days

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk
What do you mean? Freo went from No.1 at the end of the H&A in 2015 to 16th in 2016.

Most Freo fans know we will be bottom 6 this year and probably next year will be outside the 8 again - the club knows this is a build for a tilt in 2020. The keys for this year are to find some kids who can play (Balic, Logue, Tucker, Weller, Blakely, Langdon should all be best 22 later in the year) from our recent draftees and to get Bennell up and running and Fyfe re-signed.

Aim high...

Freo finished top of the ladder in 2015. The only players to go since then are Pav who was cooked last year and only played on because there were no alternatives coming through, McPharlin and some role players like Mzungu, De Boer, Mayne etc. who were all let go.

Sandilands, Johnson and Fyfe all back, Brad Hill, Hamling, Kersten and McCarthy all new blood, Ibbotson back and not fighting above his weight class, another pre-season into Weller, Blakely, Langdon etc. I'd have thought Freo would be aiming at least around 11-11 mark.

Question for Freo supporters. If Lyon is a great coach why was Muzungu and De Boer sent to the WAFL with no hope of playing AFL? Only answer I've received is Ross didn't like them.
All jokes aside, I just dont believe our best 22 is easier to to break into than yours.
I dont doubt for a minute MaCarthy will deliver for you and I'm sure the doubters haven't seem him play at his best, and neither have you guys yet I'd suggest but you will.

Question for Freo supporters. If Lyon is a great coach why was Muzungu and De Boer sent to the WAFL with no hope of playing AFL. Only answer I've received is Ross didn't like them.
All jokes aside, and I've no doubt Macarthy will deliver for you
Because they're the first ones to be found out in a s**t side. Mzungu was absolutely garbage last year. I've always liked Marty Deboer, hope he plays well for you. We got rid of Barlow for nothing who's a much better player than either. Think it was more of a changing of the guard last year. Happy they both got another chance, but just because they were picked up by you it doesn't make them a better player than they are. 17 clubs didn't Want Mzungu or Deboer so it can't just be Lyons fault.

I'm surprised people thought Freo would just automatically bounce back to being a finals contender just because they were getting back Fyfe and Sandilands along with a few other recruits, none of which are superstars.

They are pretty much at the same stage St Kilda were at about 4 or 5 years ago where we still had a sprinkling of A graders but had a lot of average players or youngsters that weren't ready to be consistently good AFL players. I don't see them turning things around quickly, they need a few years of rebuilding via the draft to get back to being a genuine finals contender and I'm not sure Lyon is the right man for that job given that he's only coached finals ready teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would of thought bringing in Hamling Kirsten brad hill and McCarthy wouldn't turn a side who won 5 games into a good side?

I know sandy and fyfe are back but they looked s**t even when they were playing last year

Question for Freo supporters. If Lyon is a great coach why was Muzungu and De Boer sent to the WAFL with no hope of playing AFL? Only answer I've received is Ross didn't like them.
All jokes aside, I just dont believe our best 22 is easier to to break into than yours.
I dont doubt for a minute MaCarthy will deliver for you and I'm sure the doubters haven't seem him play at his best, and neither have you guys yet I'd suggest but you will.
Really simple, we need to get games into Weller, Tucker and the like.

Because they're the first ones to be found out in a s**t side. Mzungu was absolutely garbage last year. I've always liked Marty Deboer, hope he plays well for you. We got rid of Barlow for nothing who's a much better player than either. Think it was more of a changing of the guard last year. Happy they both got another chance, but just because they were picked up by you it doesn't make them a better player than they are. 17 clubs didn't Want Mzungu or Deboer so it can't just be Lyons fault.
I get Muzungu was unwanted by anyone else, I've also heard this making easy things hard thing said about him. I still dont belive our side is easier to break into though, and I think that would be a majority view.
My question was genuine it is for Ross the judge his list of course, but I think it's a fair question.

So far Lyon has not indicated that Freo is in a rebuild mode,bringing in players like Hill, Kersten and Hamling who it was hoped would make an immediate impact. A look at their fixture would suggest that there are only four winnable games before the bye, at what stage does Ross Lyon's tenure become untenable for the Fremantle board, who extended his contract last year.
Ahhh, he did. He actually said it will be a four year rebuild. Those three players are all turning or have turned 24 years of age this year.

Their skills were fine after Geelong relaxed their pressure, which means Fremantle just need to improve their decision-making and disposal under pressure, which will happen in time.

Their forward line has been dysfunctional for a number of years now, but the new players in there this year will take some time to gel, as will their defenders.

As Ross would say, it's never as bad or as good as it looks.

I stood up for reason there, not Fremantle per se. I am enjoying their current form. Delightful to see Owen back in town.

Melbourne and essendon supporters are huge peacocks at the moment it's actually quite funny
So salty. We are actually allowed to comment on another team without being arrogant about it, something many of your brethren could do with learning after your game on Saturday.

It's ridiculous. Fair enough if we're "Owen 6" or something but a 7 goal loss to a prelim finalist from last year isn't the end of the world. Last years round 1 was much much worse.
Mmm I disagree. Last year's round 1 was awful and a 65 point thumping, but to the eventually premiers and at their home ground.

This year, was at your home with arguably a much better 22 against a team that many expect to drop from their prelim finish last year and all summer to have worked on game plan and any deficiencies.

A 42 point loss to the Cats to start this year I think is worse because you didn't look to have improved at all, and the same problems still plague you.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who would of thought bringing in Hamling Kirsten brad hill and McCarthy wouldn't turn a side who won 5 games into a good side?

I know sandy and fyfe are back but they looked s**t even when they were playing last year

Yeah I think people have overrated the quality of their recruits and the impact they will have.

McCarthy is the only one that has A grader potential but he's still a long way off that and he isn't really a genuine KPF either, more a 3rd forward type.

Brad Hill and Hamling are decent players but get overrated due to playing in premiership teams, they won't look as good in a struggling Freo team.

Kersten is really just a very average player and he showed it against Geelong, I know Freo are desperate for key forwards but he is a stop gap at best.

This thread is an overreaction for a poor performance on the weekend against a side who played in a prelim last year. We still have foot soldiers to phase out (Suban, Dawson, Eventually D.Pearce, Griffen etc) But you can't just field a side full of kids and expect to remain somewhat competitive. Our main issues are still transitioning out of the backline and our inability to to use the ball well going inside 50, The addition of Hill should help in both of those areas and if Bennell can ever get on the park he should be a mainstay at half forward for us. Hopefully some more youth is brought in this week such as Balic, but the players need time to grow. Can't expect McCarthy to be the saviour after missing a whole season of football.
The thing is we aren't competitive, those players should already be phased out. Those young players should already be playing. We shouldn't be in the position we are in. We are nowhere close to being a top 8 team.

I strongly believed when we were supposedly putting the cue in the rack in 2015 after that 9 game winning streak, we should have been blooding players. Instead of persisting with bullshit like Pearce, Suban and Dawson. Did you see them on the weekend? They never aimed their kicks, they just hoofed it. But they did so consistently... you start to wonder, is Ross Lyon telling them to do this?

Mmm I disagree. Last year's round 1 was awful and a 65 point thumping, but to the eventually premiers and at their home ground.

This year, was at your home with arguably a much better 22 against a team that many expect to drop from their prelim finish last year and all summer to have worked on game plan and any deficiencies.

A 42 point loss to the Cats to start this year I think is worse because you didn't look to have improved at all, and the same problems still plague you.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Only round 1 but regardless of the score, the Dockers were poor and never looked like they were in it for most of the game. It's not a good first impression going into the season but we'll get a better indicator of where they're at in the next few games. Before the season even started, I thought the Dockers would finish just in or out of the bottom 4 and with a performance like that it didn't do much to change my thoughts. It could be a long year for them again but it will be interesting to see how they rebound from round 1.

So salty. We are actually allowed to comment on another team without being arrogant about it, something many of your brethren could do with learning after your game on Saturday.

Must saints fans have massive chips on their shoulders , no idea why they have 0 to hold their hat on ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back