When does the blowtoch get applied to John Longmire?

How much of the blame for Saturday's disaster lies with Longmire?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Hawthorn have part of the Northern Territory or am I imagining it? If so I imagine the NT is a great zone to have.
Yes, but up until recently the players in those academies could only be taken if other clubs passed them over first in the National draft.

It's similar to the Chris Scott situation where how can you fault a coach if he consistently takes a team to the finals, and in this case even more so because Sydney have a much better track record.

I think yhey probably should have won another flag in this recent period but at the same time they are developing a lot of youngsters whom all look pretty damn good. I think Sydney's immediate future is far better then most teams.

I do think Tippet was a waste of money for them though

It's similar to the Chris Scott situation where how can you fault a coach if he consistently takes a team to the finals, and in this case even more so because Sydney have a much better track record.

I think yhey probably should have won another flag in this recent period but at the same time they are developing a lot of youngsters whom all look pretty damn good. I think Sydney's immediate future is far better then most teams.

You're underselling Chris Scott

2 players aren't responsible for Collingwood's results. Varcoe and Howe are not rubbish footballers. You're a moron.

Personal attacks do not change reality. Your side us full of rubbish, which is why you can't make the 8. Far too many extremely limited footballers and a very small number of really good players that have made them somewhat competitive.

If not for players that are ordinary, why have Collingwood been so poor in recent seasons?

Personal attacks do not change reality. Your side us full of rubbish, which is why you can't make the 8. Far too many extremely limited footballers and a very small number of really good players that have made them somewhat competitive.

If not for players that are ordinary, why have Collingwood been so poor in recent seasons?
Kulcha

Varcoe and Howe aren't solely responsible for our performances. They are not rubbish footballers. You're a halfwit mate. "Your side is full of rubbish" - you're totally missing the point.

Why must I unclick ignored content.
I dunno. Maybe it's the same lack of discipline that has you expressing personal opinion, e.g:

"Losing two grand finals - TWO - is a disaster. And no - making it there is not good enough"

as if it's more than mere personal opinion; as if it's an established fact?

In this era of teams winning multiple flags I think people have forgotten how hard it is to win one. He's managed one when he didn't have the best team in the comp and was probably a bit unlucky not to win another.

He should be allowed a few years out of finals (assuming that that even happens). He's earned that at the very least.

It's interesting - neither he nor Scott get a great deal of kudos for the flags they won because they won so quickly with sides that were already performing. Bevo gets massive kudos for winning a flag in his second year, just like Longmire. I understand it but it's not necessarily fair. Bevo inherited a great list too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact - 2 grand final losses

Opinion - Disaster
Opinion - Not good enough

I'm not sure you're able to adequately determine what other people are postulating as being an opinion and/or a fact.

Try harder
Now you're just being stupid. The fact you've quoted is not a fact in support of your opinion, there is no reason or argument expressed; it is simply the fact we're discussing.

Failed high school debating?

Now you're just being stupid. The fact you've quoted is not a fact in support of your opinion, there is no reason or argument expressed; it is simply the fact we're discussing.

Failed high school debating?
In your opinion .........;)

I get it - if I form the opinion you have from an established fact about your team I'm doing okay.

Actually what is your opinion on your team failing at the big dance twice? Obviously not the same as mine which is

(a) it's a disaster and
(b) it's not good enough

2012 spurred my team on to seek revenge and win three in a row including against your team

2008 spurred Geelong to win another two flags and put a hoodoo on Hawthorn for 5 years

2014 lead you guys to simply capitulate once again in 2016

I'm pretty sure even some Swans supporters likely agree with this reasoning - I sure as hell would think this way if my team squibbed chances of flags repeatedly

He should be safer then about fifteen coaches. Flags in an 18 team comp are very hard to come by, he has won one and consistently has his side challenging, yet apparently he should be under the pump at round 3???

I get it - if I form the opinion you have from an established fact about your team I'm doing okay.

Actually what is your opinion on your team failing at the big dance twice? Obviously not the same as mine which is

(a) it's a disaster and
(b) it's not good enough

2012 spurred my team on to seek revenge and win three in a row including against your team

2008 spurred Geelong to win another two flags and put a hoodoo on Hawthorn for 5 years

I'm pretty sure even some Swans supporters likely agree with this reasoning - I sure as hell would think this way if my team squibbed chances of flags repeatedly

Bump of the Year.

No, you haven't got it at all, inasmuch as I even understand your tortured syntax. But anyway...

(a) it's a disaster and
(b) it's not good enough

Let's pick this apart. You use terms like "failing", "capitulate" and "squibbed' which are loaded terms and suggest to me you are not interested in discussing anything in a dispassionate manner, you're simply looking for validation of your own prejudices.

So here's my thoughts, as best as I can steer around your unwarranted landmines -

2012 was one of the greatest moments of my life as a Swans fan, possibly even greater than 2005, because it was won (apart from not a little bit of luck, let's face it) with sheer guts and determination, something we're fabled for.

2014 was embarrassing and mystifying, because we were never in it from the word go, and I still have no idea why. In hindsight, you guys tended to have the wood over us in those days, but not always, and you'd rarely given us the runaround like that. It was unprecedented. You don't finish minor premiers by being weak. Finals pressure is a whole other level again, of course but we're used to that. But the unexpected joy of 2012 almost kept me on an even keel.

2016 was, like 2012, one of the great GFs of the modern era. I was disappointed we didn't win it, but I walked away from it with my head held high, feeling we'd given it our all, and we'd exorcised the ghost of 2014. We went into it with a number of injured players, our star forward got injured four minutes into the game, and still with 7 mins to go we were only a point behind. I lost no sleep over it. I love following the Sydney Swans; I'm so proud of what they've achieved since they moved to Sydney; the highs and the lows have all been one hell of a ride, but the level of happiness in my life is determined by many, many other things before the success of my football team. There you have it. We're talking different languages I suspect.

No, you haven't got it at all, inasmuch as I even understand your tortured syntax. But anyway...

Let's pick this apart. You use terms like "failing", "capitulate" and "squibbed' which are loaded terms and suggest to me you are not interested in discussing anything in a dispassionate manner, you're simply looking for validation of your own prejudices.

So here's my thoughts, as best as I can steer around your unwarranted landmines -

2012 was one of the greatest moments of my life as a Swans fan, possibly even greater than 2005, because it was won (apart from not a little bit of luck, let's face it) with sheer guts and determination, something we're fabled for.

2014 was embarrassing and mystifying, because we were never in it from the word go, and I still have no idea why. In hindsight, you guys tended to have the wood over us in those days, but not always, and you'd rarely given us the runaround like that. It was unprecedented. You don't finish minor premiers by being weak. Finals pressure is a whole other level again, of course but we're used to that. But the unexpected joy of 2012 almost kept me on an even keel.

2016 was, like 2012, one of the great GFs of the modern era. I was disappointed we didn't win it, but I walked away from it with my head held high, feeling we'd given it our all, and we'd exorcised the ghost of 2014. We went into it with a number of injured players, our star forward got injured four minutes into the game, and still with 7 mins to go we were only a point behind. I lost no sleep over it. I love following the Sydney Swans; I'm so proud of what they've achieved since they moved to Sydney; the highs and the lows have all been one hell of a ride, but the level of happiness in my life is determined by many, many other things before the success of my football team. There you have it. We're talking different languages I suspect.
That's better. Is it nice to let that out?

But dispassionate is an interesting word to add to the mix

Tippet is so divisive.

I think he is an absolute gun for the Swans and a great addition. BUT, for me, they needed Tippet OR Buddy not both. I think they have leaked a few too many players because they took both on.

Great youth at that club though.

Back