Max Lynch- does he get tapped on the shoulder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
THE FUTURE of Hawthorn ruckman Max Lynch is up in the air after he suffered another concussion on Sunday.

Lynch was recalled for his first AFL game of the season following a strong run of form for Box Hill, before being ruled out with concussion at half-time of the three-point loss to Adelaide at UTAS Stadium.

Hawthorn's medical department have assessed the vision and didn't find a clear incident that caused Lynch's latest concussion.

It is understood to be the ninth concussion of Lynch's career, following two in his debut season, with both taking longer than the League-mandated 12-day minimum recovery period.

Ninth concussion of his career and happening only just after he returned from a nasty concussion. The scary thing is that the medicos can't even find a clear incident, that's usually not a good sign if they can't even tell how it happened.

Ninth concussion of his career and happening only just after he returned from a nasty concussion. The scary thing is that the medicos can't even find a clear incident, that's usually not a good sign if they can't even tell how it happened.

Not a chance he does if he's still an AFL calibre player.

As per always with these kind of things, it's up to Lynch alone if he wants to call it quits or not. It's not the clubs call, especially when we're talking about someone earning more money then they're likely to earn elsewhere.

Last edited:
This is devastating for Max!! Can’t see him playing again. More important things in life.

He’s arguably had the unluckiest 12 months in AFL history:

Comes to Hawthorn for more opportunities at senior level..
Gets concussed round 1 in 2022
Misses next few weeks.
Due to come back then gets COVID.
Recovers from covid, gets stung by a bee and ends up in hospital
McEvoy comes back from injury and takes over the number 1 ruck spot
Gets another concussion at the end of the season

2022 trade period, Hawthorn trade in Lloyd Meek, who takes his spot.

Dominates the VFL for a month, earns his spot back in the senior side and cops another concussion.

The worst part…with Darcy Cameron and cox out long term, he would currently be collingwood’s number 1 ruck, playing in front of 70k+ a week for a top 4 side.

Love Max, came across as great guy when at the pies despite being on the outskirts of the team feels like a heart beat type player in which good cultures evolve.

Hope his health comes good and if possible has a long career at the Hawks.

He’s one of the most likable blokes, but he’s got to make a decision about his post-footy right now. The AFL should probably step in and look after players like this, rather than encourage them to go on.

Feel terrible for the guy.

Terrific bloke. Hope it all works out well for him. Maybe nick off back to Albury and dominate the league on good coin?

There is hope for him if Paddy McCartin is still not retired

I’d hope Lynch gets good advice for his long term health and he retires.

McCartin probably should have retired and the Swans shouldn’t have encouraged it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he a top draft selection?
I know Simpson has had on going concussion concerns. Obviously McCartin but they played senior footy.

So you‘ve got nothing to contribute.

I’d hope Lynch gets good advice for his long term health and he retires.

McCartin probably should have retired and the Swans shouldn’t have encouraged it.
Heading this way it seems

You’ve moved him to the inactive list so out for the year

That could very well be him done now for good

Not a chance he does if he's still an AFL calibre player.

As per always with these kind of things, it's up to Lynch alone if he wants to call it quits or not. It's not the clubs call, especially when we're talking about someone earning more money then they're likely to earn elsewhere.

It really shouldn't be.

The AFL might be on the hook for an amount some believe could be close to $500m-$1b AUD, all uninsured.

Players can't have it both ways, they can't just choose to continue to play through concussion incidents and then be the first name on the class action law suit when they are 45.

I think there will be a mandated maximum number of concussions before a fixed injury pay-out and pension, possibly built into as soon as the next EBA.

It will be nowhere near the 9 concussions he's trying to play through, try 3 or 4 before players are automatically forced into retirement.

I think there will be brain screens etc for draftee's also, if you have had 2 concussions in junior football, you have 2 concussion strikes left for your AFL career etc. I think it will determine the draft order down the track to an extent.

It's going to be a massive shame, but blame the group of players from the 80's, 90's and 00's who will near bankrupt the league for this situation...

It really shouldn't be.

The AFL might be on the hook for an amount some believe could be close to $500m-$1b AUD, all uninsured.

Players can't have it both ways, they can't just choose to continue to play through concussion incidents and then be the first name on the class action law suit when they are 45.

I think there will be a mandated maximum number of concussions before a fixed injury pay-out and pension, possibly built into as soon as the next EBA.

It will be nowhere near the 9 concussions he's trying to play through, try 3 or 4 before players are automatically forced into retirement.

I think there will be brain screens etc for draftee's also, if you have had 2 concussions in junior football, you have 2 concussion strikes left for your AFL career etc. I think it will determine the draft order down the track to an extent.

It's going to be a massive shame, but blame the group of players from the 80's, 90's and 00's who will near bankrupt the league for this situation...

The 80s, 90s and 00s players who all spent a lot of time boxing…

There are certainly some cases where the AFL needs to step in but ultimately I think rather than where you’re heading, it’ll be education and choice on the behalf of the player to keep playing.

If Lynch is provided with the most up to date neuros in Aus and all the known info, and is told he will be looked after if he retires (from all contact sport), and chooses to go on, that can’t be the AFLs fault.

All the best to him. I hope he personally chooses to retire and get looked after in other ways by club/AFL. A concussion without an obvious incident is scary business. When would you even bring him back to contact training let alone a game with that history?

Said the same about McCartin - AFL need to step in if the player isn't retiring himself.

Glad to see Lynch already pivoting to coaching. Hope he makes a real go of it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back