Laura Kane - Does Not Impress Me At All !!

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is unimpressive.

Somehow words said are of no substance despite people in these jobs doing exactly that for decades.

Go listen to most club presidents on radio and you'll see nothing answers given, deflecting the question.

Players trained to have no personality for the media.

All of a sudden a woman gets into power and some of my fellow men just couldn't be less impressed with what they are hearing.

She hasn't been in the job long enough to adequately assess her progress. She is in a strategic role - strategic change takes a long time to implement, this isn't managing a small self-employed business.

Somehow words said are of no substance despite people in these jobs doing exactly that for decades.

Go listen to most club presidents on radio and you'll see nothing answers given, deflecting the question.

All of a sudden a woman gets into power and some of my fellow men just couldn't be less impressed with what they are hearing.

She hasn't been in the job long enough to adequately assess her progress. She is in a strategic role - strategic change takes a long time to implement, this isn't managing a small self-employed business.
You're right, I have never seen a single thread on BF critical of a male AFL executive or club president

I think by diversity amongst umpires, she meant:

Abso sht, sht, a bit sht, acceptable, good, very good, as now we seem to reject the latter four groups.

Or she could mean we need more diverse hair, across colour and styles. Given most refs are bald/shaven or short cropped, we can expect more color variety from sunflower blonds through strawberry blond through toffee, honey, copper all the way to burgundy, brown, ruby to heavy leather black. With diverse styles we would add in length variations, bouffants, wolf cuts, permed, natural fros, and waist length.

I think it's an obvious and good move in the current cultural context.

Go for it AFL! Be brave.

Look at her history in club land and tell me she deserves the job she has now. She was head of footy operations at North from 2017-2021. I am not a North supporter but 2016 - 2017 are problem referred to as "the good times" before their club was brought to their knees.

Her history when in charge of football operations is shocking and we are getting more of it. It is like Dan Richardson getting a job at Essendon after failing in footy operations at Richmond.

There are just some people due to their history you shouldn't put in charge of things. You wouldn't put Tex in charge of Indigenous relations, you don't put Barry Hall in charge of concussion welfare and you don't put Dusty Martin in charge of cutlery management.

Last edited:
Keep pretending it's not about what we all know it's really about.
pretty sure it's because a woman got a top job in the AFL

There's always a portion of people in society that don't accept that. They'll swear black and blue that that's not the case...but it really is
They don't like a girl in a bloke's job
Yep, sure.

Because every time anyone says anything other than giving the highest praise to a female about anything they do, it's simply because they are a misogynist pig...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. She is not in a “strategic role”. She is the General Manager of Football Operations.

Her role is to oversee and administer the day-to-day, week-to-week aspects of AFL footy.

Yep, sure.

Because every time anyone says anything other than giving the highest praise to a female about anything they do, it's simply because they are a misogynist pig...

any grown up can see that that's not the case

However if you feel that you have to do so to avoid being labelled as such then that's up to you.
Personally, I find women are very able to defend themselves

Look at her history in club land and tell me she deserves the job she has now. She was head of footy operations at North from 2017-2021. I am not a North supporter but 2016 - 2017 are problem referred to as "the good times" before their club was brought to their knees.

Her history when in charge of football operations is shocking and we are getting more of it. It is like Dan Richardson getting a job at Essendon after failing in footy operations at Richmond.

There are just some people due to their history you shouldn't put in charge of things. You wouldn't put Tex in charge of Indigenous relations, you don't put Barry Hall in charge of concussion welfare and you don't put Dusty Martin in charge of cutlery management.
The AFL told Hawthorn to sack their underperforming female CEO during that time, after five months in the job. So this idea that you just get a free pass for being a woman simply doesn't line up with reality.

Laura Kane impressed the AFL during her time at North Melbourne--particularly during the covid seasons when plenty of others were cracking under the pressure, and through her structuring of an AFLW program which put most other clubs to shame.

Throw in her achievements at community level and it's pretty clear her experience across a number of different football admin roles is what got her the job she has now.

Yep, sure.

No, but the stack on off the back of 1 or 2 interviews is disproportionate. She hasn't done anything yet, but people have already decided they don't like what they're hearing.

I think by diversity amongst umpires, she meant:

Abso sht, sht, a bit sht, acceptable, good, very good, as now we seem to reject the latter four groups.

Or she could mean we need more diverse hair, across colour and styles. Given most refs are bald/shaven or short cropped, we can expect more color variety from sunflower blonds through strawberry blond through toffee, honey, copper all the way to burgundy, brown, ruby to heavy leather black. With diverse styles we would add in length variations, bouffants, wolf cuts, permed, natural fros, and waist length.

I think it's an obvious and good move in the current cultural context.

Go for it AFL! Be brave.

Well, since BF believes the umpires do a terrible job...perhaps it would not be a bad idea to have umpires that are not 95% drawn from the same subset of the population no?

She looks fine to me.

BIG plus is the breaking down of the Old Boys club in HQ. BTW, speaking of Old Boys, what's Lethlean up to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back