the baby hawks are hell impressive

Remove this Banner Ad

Lazy article, it ranks 5 teams as drawing age when they are not. You can go further than 1 decimal point and it would be extremely rare to have two teams on the same age based on 40-44 players.

Collingwood older than Richmond.

Sydney 13th
North 14th
Freo 15th

AFL Club Lists for 2023 - Draftguru
Sure but doesn't make much difference to my analysis which shows the teams performing much better or much worse than their average age.

Fremantle & Brisbane were the only sides around expectations for their age profile.

The vic media wank fest on the baby hawks while freo being the biggest disappointment is a laugh.
We have the youngest tall fwd trio in the league and towelled up the more experience hawks twice!
As much as Ronnie here is a mad one eyed dockers supporter, objectively he does have a point.
Freo were less experienced in age and games played against Hawthorn in Round 23 and beat them by 6 goals. You don't seem to hear about that as much in the media though.

Sure but doesn't make much difference to my analysis which shows the teams performing much better or much worse than their average age.

Fremantle & Brisbane were the only sides around expectations for their age profile.
Freo go above the line, Richmond move.

Realistically, the list age is not as relevant as the average team age across the whole year. The data is harder to get though.

Yet media had us the most disappointing team of the year
Not last years premiers missing the finals not the dogs all star team that poached our leading goalkicker and missed the finals

As much as Ronnie here is a mad one eyed dockers supporter, objectively he does have a point.
Freo were less experienced in age and games played against Hawthorn in Round 23 and beat them by 6 goals. You don't seem to hear about that as much in the media though.
I think they pipped us for being younger by a month but the point stands

Yet media had us the most disappointing team of the year
Not last years premiers missing the finals not the dogs all star team that poached our leading goalkicker and missed the finals
Why do you take notice of most of the media numpties... yet you got pedantic with my post which supported your claims...

I think they pipped us for being younger by a month but the point stands
Orright well I stand corrected, so basically Hawks were slightly younger, the Dockers were slightly less experienced (by games played). The dockers still did win comfortably. Realistically both teams heading in the right direction, and, as much as it pains me to say it, Hawthorn probably have the better coach.

Last edited:
So Fremantle where the least experienced side twice?
At a guess yes but if not it would be minuscule, we beat you comfortably on your home patch being less experienced.
Don’t get me wrong I’m loving what the hawks are doing duke will day guns!
I’ve mentioned in another thread that I’m excited to rekindle our rivalry as contenders in the second half of the decade.
My gripe is the teams are very similar in list demographic but one teams getting thrown flowers the other teams getting thrown s**t!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Freo vs Hawthorn in years to come will be good. Could become a rivalry even

Great article. Shows how awesome the Blues are doing as the 14th most experienced side.
Kind of. But there are a bunch of teams in that 90ish game area. You’re closer to the middle than to the bottom (if you plotted it on a graph). So 14th is not as important a number as 88 (average level of games).

We need Final Siren or some other stat nerd to contribute to this discussion because it’s actually pretty interesting ie how unbabyish do you need to be to reach finals etc.

The vic media wank fest on the baby hawks while freo being the biggest disappointment is a laugh.
We have the youngest tall fwd trio in the league and towelled up the more experience hawks twice!
Hawthorn didn’t have a functioning forward line on the day. That was the game.
The youngest midfield in the comp, smacked Freo at the stoppages though.

Freo went backwards in 2023, it’s undeniable.

Kind of. But there are a bunch of teams in that 90ish game area. You’re closer to the middle than to the bottom (if you plotted it on a graph). So 14th is not as important a number as 88 (average level of games).

We need Final Siren or some other stat nerd to contribute to this discussion because it’s actually pretty interesting ie how unbabyish do you need to be to reach finals etc.

I think the two most important things are

• # of players aged 26-30 i.e a players prime
  • The amount of games these players have played together, which is tougher to quantify.

Carlton are actually coming into the sweet spot with Curnow, Weitering and McKay just turning 26. Sides like GC, Essendon, Freo are still a few years off their best talents hitting that age. But it is fun to pretend we are at the same stage of development.

Important players like Curnow, Cuningham, Martin and McGovern should’ve played more football to this point but haven’t through injury, in reality they are more experienced and ready to go than their total games would suggest.

I suspect the Hawks will have a few core players notch up 150 games and the bulk of them together by the time they’re 26-27. I like that a lot.

Hawthorn didn’t have a functioning forward line on the day. That was the game.
The youngest midfield in the comp, smacked Freo at the stoppages though.

Freo went backwards in 2023, it’s undeniable.
Serong had more clearances than day and duke combined.
Duke didn’t get 1 stoppage clearance for the day.
Top 4 clearance players/ age
Serong 22 young 22 AB 23 Treacy 21
Ave age 22
Day 22 Nash 25 reeves 24 worple 24
Ave age 23.7

Start midfield/ age
Jackson 21 AB 23 serong 22 young 22
Ave 22
Reeves 24 worple 24 day 22 ward 20
Ave 22.5

You also finished 9 spots lower and won 5 less game than last season.

Freo were the biggest disappointment of 2023. And it's not even close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back