Laura Kane - Does Not Impress Me At All !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Also I really wished they pressed her over this bullshit of removing AFL player weights, which IMO is completely driven by removing them in the women's game as more important but they need it to he the same across leagues to avoid being called out

Be careful, you may be ridiculed for implying such a thing :huh:

Let’s face it. The AFL is all about umpiring and consistency. What gets a discussion at the water cooler? Umpires. Nobody really cares about anything else, but they do care about inconsistency and a lack of commitment to organising a set of rules that are adjudicated properly every year. None of it makes sense.

What’s the difference between off the ball or within 15 metres? If you strike someone it’s a strike. The rhetoric is and has been that protecting the head is what this is all about. Clearly she’s smart and regarded. But she probably needs to strip it down to the basics and dumb it down so it’s what it is.

There’ll be so many inconsistencies all year.

Let’s face it. The AFL is all about umpiring and consistency. What gets a discussion at the water cooler? Umpires. Nobody really cares about anything else, but they do care about inconsistency and a lack of commitment to organising a set of rules that are adjudicated properly every year. None of it makes sense.

What’s the difference between off the ball or within 15 metres? If you strike someone it’s a strike. The rhetoric is and has been that protecting the head is what this is all about. Clearly she’s smart and regarded. But she probably needs to strip it down to the basics and dumb it down so it’s what it is.

There’ll be so many inconsistencies all year.

Yeah I think that rule change has got them into a knot. Don't think she explained it very well.

So off the ball, the player is considered to have more control over contact so hitting someone in the head is considered intentional.

Closer to the ball there is more random contact so a hit to the head is not automatically regarded as intentional.

I think that is the logic (if I followed it correctly) but having footage of a bloke clearly and intentionally hitting someone in the head for a fine didn't help the cause.

On the plus side there is not as much dog whistling in this thread as I expected. Progress.

I saw the interview, typical lawyer waffle. Not sure how any of this actually relates to how good she is/will be in her role though.
yep she mentioned tv ratings, entertainment industry, sponsors and corporates far too many times for my liking. too much pleasing the elites and nothing good for the average footy fan.

Yeah I think that rule change has got them into a knot. Don't think she explained it very well.

So off the ball, the player is considered to have more control over contact so hitting someone in the head is considered intentional.

Closer to the ball there is more random contact so a hit to the head is not automatically regarded as intentional.

I think that is the logic (if I followed it correctly) but having footage of a bloke clearly and intentionally hitting someone in the head for a fine didn't help the cause.

On the plus side there is not as much dog whistling in this thread as I expected. Progress.
I just view it as being a hit. Yeah sure, closer to the ball there’s more jostling, but you don’t punch a bloke like Hewett did.

My favourite quote of hers was when she said they needed a greater diversity amongst the umpires...

Nah I agree with her, way too many uber fit blokes doing this job currently.

Needs to be more fatties to represent this hidden minority.

If we need to slow the game down to accommodate them and/or put 12 umpires on the field then so be it.

Same goes for amputees as well.

I watched this show last night and she avoided answering every question they threw at her.

If that is the best she has to offer, then she is just in the job for lip-service, sadly there is no substance to the woman.

Thread needs a poll.

Firm Shania Twain for Laura Kane.

Has anyone actually listened to Dillon speak? The guy can barely string two words together. He continuously talks in circles. Awful look for a CEO. At least McLaughlin was somewhat polished.

Yeh I queried that a bit, what we need is a greater quality and consistency among umpires, in whatever way shape or form that takes place. But of course it'll be the PC priorities that take precedence over positioning umpires based on merit...
I don't think it's about PC.

It's about increasing your talent pool.

Then why not say it's about increasing the talent pool?
Cause contrary to the moronic 'go woke go broke' slogan that is regurgitated by the mindless cretins out there - spruiking stuff like diversity and inclusion is actually very good for business.

That's why companies do it. Not only is it practical in terms of increasing your audience and consumer base, and broadening your available talent pool - and it's also trendy.

But also, pretty much everyone with half a brain that doesn't get triggered by 'woke' stuff knows this already anyway. So she doesn't really need to say it, does she? Most people know exactly why organisations want diversity in their workplace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone actually listened to Dillon speak? The guy can barely string two words together. He continuously talks in circles. Awful look for a CEO. At least McLaughlin was somewhat polished.

I got the impression very early on Dillon and Kane are the types that get s**t done behind the scenes and have been promoted through their body of work. I don’t think they are natural leaders and public speakers (particularly Dillon), thus the tag team and Kane doing more public stuff being the better speaker.

I’m a bit bewildered why people are upset. The Richmond Carlton opener was dog s**t for years. The rules are pretty clear. If that glancing punch to Neale last week not being suspended is our biggest issue, we are ok. People still sooking about the stand rule are freaks. Free ball movement and removing mark crabbing is great

Dillon was on The Front Bar last night and came across as a "one of the boys" but the biggest dag of the group.

I prefer benign dictators than total sycophants.

I got the impression very early on Dillon and Kane are the types that get s**t done behind the scenes and have been promoted through their body of work. I don’t think they are natural leaders and public speakers (particularly Dillon), thus the tag team and Kane doing more public stuff being the better speaker.

I’m a bit bewildered why people are upset. The Richmond Carlton opener was dog s**t for years. The rules are pretty clear. If that glancing punch to Neale last week not being suspended is our biggest issue, we are ok. People still sooking about the stand rule are freaks. Free ball movement and removing mark crabbing is great

Nah, not buying that codswallop.

Admittedly it is early in their tenure but thus far, the Dillon/Kane gang isn't filling me with a lot of confidence. This time next year we should have a more informed position but I'm not expecting anything better than what we have seen thus far.

Loving the breaking down of the "Old Boys" network at the AFL, Dillon and Kane look ok to me.

Think they realise the Vic clubs are getting a good ride in so many ways compared to non Vic sides, particularly the northern clubs who are having to battle the cashed up and progressive NRL for bodies and minds.

Agree the Hewitt incident should have been a suspension, swinging a closed fist and connecting high should be an automatic suspension. MRO missed the boat here, can't suspend any of these type incidents for the rest of the 2024 season - just dumb by the MRO/AFL

yep she mentioned tv ratings, entertainment industry, sponsors and corporates far too many times for my liking. too much pleasing the elites and nothing good for the average footy fan.
The game was taken away from the average footy fan years ago. Catering to elites is what the AFL is there for.

I watched this show last night and she avoided answering every question they threw at her.

If that is the best she has to offer, then she is just in the job for lip-service, sadly there is no substance to the woman.

These robots spend endless hours getting media training where they practice answering every type of question the media would throw at them, that's why it's so sanitized and boring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back