Laura Kane - Does Not Impress Me At All !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Diversity at the expense of finding the right people for the job

God I love this world we now live in
I understand where you are coming from.....

... and without knowing anything about you or your experience, I think I need to hear from a more diverse group of people on this issue before taking on board your views.

To be fair, the world we live in is significantly better for many groups of people than it was 20-30 years ago.

Like it or not, 'diversity and inclusion' is a big reason for this.
Lets see if we're still saying that when planes start falling out of the sky coz "diversity and inclusion"

All for everyone being equal as human beings, but background shouldn't be a factor when picking someone for a job

Imagine contradicting yourself in the same post and then acting like you won a point. Oh boy.
Acting like I "won a point" ??? Not sure about that... :D

I was just setting you straight because you seemed to be a little confused about her role.

It turns out however, I was the one who was confused. :$

The AFL have restructured things over the past couple of years with the appointment of an AFL Football Operations executive. They've since appointed Josh Mahoney to the "nuts & bolts" position of General Manager of Football Operations. (I thought Kane was doing this job.)

In my defence, the AFL have always had 2 people in the key positions out front in the public glare: the CEO and the GM

CEO Ross Oakley............ GM Alan Schwab
CEO Wayne Jackson........ GM Ian Collins
CEO Andrew Demetriou... GM Adrian Anderson (and then Mark Evans)
CEO Gillon McLachlan...... GM Steve Hocking

I wasn't aware they'd restructured their football operations department over the past couple of years and watered down the GM's role as a non-executive manager who reports to Kane.

Last edited:
Cause contrary to the moronic 'go woke go broke' slogan that is regurgitated by the mindless cretins out there - spruiking stuff like diversity and inclusion is actually very good for business.

That's why companies do it. Not only is it practical in terms of increasing your audience and consumer base, and broadening your available talent pool - and it's also trendy.

But also, pretty much everyone with half a brain that doesn't get triggered by 'woke' stuff knows this already anyway. So she doesn't really need to say it, does she? Most people know exactly why organisations want diversity in their workplace.

Rip Curl will be hoping you're right.

Otherwise you'll be wrong and they'll be losing a lot of money.

Lets see if we're still saying that when planes start falling out of the sky coz "diversity and inclusion"

All for everyone being equal as human beings, but background shouldn't be a factor when picking someone for a job
But that's not how diversity and inclusion works.

There aren't more male pilots because men are inherently better at flying planes. There are more male pilots because women haven't been historically allowed to be pilots, and/or haven't been provided with the same opportunities and support in becoming pilots.

It's just dumb to not want to expand your talent pool.

A woman pilot that isn't qualified to fly a plane isn't going to get a job as a pilot ahead of a dude that is qualified.

That's not what diversity is about. Contrary to what the hardcore lefties and righties tell you.

If woman get opportunities to become pilots, and other young women start to see being a pilot as a genuine career opportunity - we will have a larger and stronger talent pool to recruit from.

Same goes for umpiring. Same goes for almost all things in life. Australia's jockey talent pool for example, is far stronger now because the talent pool includes women.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They decided to use a transwoman in their advertising. Just months after dropping a female surfer who was outspoken against transwomen competing in women's surfing events.

Again, these are just straight forward marketing decisions - contrary to what the hardcore lefties and righties try to tell us.

If it's better for business to be anti-woke - like a Joe Rogan or a Bill Maher, then that's what they do. They know that's what their audience wants. So that's what they give them.

If it's better for business to embrace trans or whatever else a business decides to embrace it support - then businesses will do it. Usually, by embracing certain groups of the community, it's about trying to embrace as customers and nothing more.

That's why Bud Light one was such a bomb. Naively thinking they could attract enough trans and woke youngsters to start drinking the biggest bogan drink in America, that would outweigh the backlash from the bogans and bigots that have been their number 1 customers for decades was simply a bad business decision.

Woolworths shares rose after their supposed 'woke' Australia Day decision about bogan flags and stuff. It's not woke - it's smart business. It's knowing your customers and what's going to build your business in the long term.

Without knowing the details, my assumption is that Rip Curl's customer base is probably either not going to give a s**t about them supporting the trans community, or agree with it.

Woolworths shares rose after their supposed 'woke' Australia Day decision about bogan flags and stuff. It's not woke - it's smart business. It's knowing your customers and what's going to build your business in the long term.
They rose, did they?

15% down since the start of the year doesn't sound to me as though it's the direction they'd like to be heading...

They rose, did they?

15% down since the start of the year doesn't sound to me as though it's the direction they'd like to be heading...

36.21 when they made the announcement that they weren't selling Aus Day merch.

36.42 a week later.

36.44 the week after that.

It went up.

Obviously the whole price gouging and subsequent sacking of their CEO hurt them, which of course is unrelated to this discussion.

36.21 when they made the announcement that they weren't selling Aus Day merch.

36.42 a week later.

36.44 the week after that.

It went up.

Obviously the whole price gouging and subsequent sacking of their CEO hurt them, which of course is unrelated to this discussion.
A 0.6% Rise over two weeks (which was less than the movement in the ASX 200 at the same time) was on the back of their Aus Day Merch Announcement?

Maybe they should have been spending more time on material business imperatives and less time on the Aus Day Merch type decisions, they may have been better off now...

You posted about planes falling out of the sky due to diversity and inclusion. That's all that needs to be said.
If you can't understand hyperbole I can't help you

Just looks at United Airlines with their DEI pilot principles. Horrifying stuff

A 0.6% Rise over two weeks (which was less than the movement in the ASX 200 at the same time) was on the back of their Aus Day Merch Announcement?

Maybe they should have been spending more time on material business imperatives and less time on the Aus Day Merch type decisions, they may have been better off now...
Given it had plunged more than $3.50 pe share in the 3 months prior, an increase of 0.6% is pretty good news.

Regardless, I was simply pointing out that the 'go woke go broke' thing is a myth dreamt up by the s**t stirrers and idealogues, and sold to the dimwitted and gullible public to regurgitate.

The whole 'woke' thing is almost always simply a business trying to expand their customer base to a broader market. Woolworths canning the Aus Day is just another case of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back