Goulburn Valley FL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes mate never said he was s**t but I don't rate him at all, hasn't done anything yet to prove himself at gv level! A game in the best doesn't make him any better, I think a lot of people would agree that Bennett should not of been in that side!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As I said, these arguements become subjective, but I suppose he's got a premiership medal, inter league jumper and a mention as one of the leagues best players on the day in some very esteemed company..

Give the lad some credit he must have played a good game. Whether or not people agree with his selection he at least went out and represented his league and acquired himself well....can't do much more than that. Could be a real confidence booster fir him going forward
Sometimes when everything seems against you, people believe you are out of your depth, but an individual has faith and gives you a chance, things magically click. Gary Ablett Snr was like that at Hawthorn til he went to Geelong, Andrew Symonds in his last chance test at The G. More often than not it doesn't work... but just sometimes it does. Ah sport; full of contradictions and surprises. Let's hope there are NO surprises in the GV GF this year ;)

Yes mate never said he was s**t but I don't rate him at all, hasn't done anything yet to prove himself at gv level! A game in the best doesn't make him any better, I think a lot of people would agree that Bennett should not of been in that side!
Lol, glad the clueless still under rate this kid. Clearly in top 3 players today, some thought he was best. I rate him highly.
Was one of our best players leading up to the 2015 finals but only people who see him regularly would know. Was only told on Wednesday he was playing after another pulled out with a mystery illness.
Great kid who been playing knowing his father is failing with MnD.

Just my opinion mate, no need to get all defensive, 99% of people will agree with me, he's not a proven established gv senior player by any means, and I still to this day will say he wouldn't of got a game with Kyabram last year.

Jeez freak doing a language analysis of that post makes intresting reading.
1.Tone=smug
2.Attacking/Generalizing language=We are all clueless
3.Appeal to jingoism=The kid was one of your best players in 2015 despite having played about twenty games ( 50 now according to slim). The Martinello's, Martyns, Mellingtons, Priests, Marchbank's must have been having a holiday.
4. Factual evidence=The kid was named 3rd best.
5. Appeal to our sympathy for illness=yes it is sad his Dad is ill.
How is your final point relevant to the debate?

Ordinary post Freak. In fact, a particularly s**t post.

Last edited:
Easy to comment in hindsight slim.

Selection ought to be based upon merit rather than personalities in positions of influence.

The 2015 premiership side was a special side. I think the quality of the top 15-18 players (many of whom have subsequently departed) meant that ringo, roota and bootz could have slotted in 19-21st positions in the side without doing a huge amount of damage ... There is no way Bennet was in the top 18 players in the 2015 Benalla premiership.

Just a counter thought ...

No intended offence to roota, ringo or bootz either. Assuming you all are past your prime as gun players who would have made the Benalla side in 2015 ...

Apologies.

Jeez freak doing a language analysis of that post makes intresting reading.
1.Tone=smug
2.Attacking/Generalizing language=We are all clueless
3.Appeal to jingoism=The kid was one of your best players in 2015 despite having played about twenty games ( 50 now according to slim). The Martinello's, Martyns, Mellingtons, Priests, Marchbank's must have been having a holiday.
4. Factual evidence=The kid was named 3rd best.
5. Appeal to our sympathy for illness=yes it is sad his Dad is ill.
How is your final point relevant to the debate?

Ordinary post Freak. In fact, a particularly s**t post.
As someone far better qualified to speak about him than most here because I see play weekly, I think I can offer a better perspective from people that don't!
If you wish to ramble on about inaccuracies about players expect to be pick up.
The kid has been playing his football with adversity few know of, that's why I mentioned it.
How smug are you in your post! Lol, please look up the word jingoism and it's meaning before you throw it in to some sentence. Makes you look silly.
Your not only an expert on all things Kyabram, Tatura, Rockchester, your now telling a Benalla guy that his wrong about knowledge about his own club and players. Get off it Silver!

As someone far better qualified to speak about him than most here because I see play weekly, I think I can offer a better perspective from people that don't!
The kid has been playing his football with adversity few know of, that's why I mentioned it.
How smug are you in your post! Lol, please look up the word jingoism and it's meaning before you throw it in to some sentence. Makes you look silly.
Your not only an expert on all things Kyabram, Tatura, Rockchester, your now telling a Benalla guy that his wrong about knowledge about his own club and players. Get off it Silver!
Fair reply Freak. Everyone knows how much Silver loves his tiges, and he would defend them too if someone was having a crack at one of their kids. All the discussions about Bennett have been constructive until Silvers over-the-top post towards you.

Last edited:

There were rightful suggestions of nepotism.
In this instance because Bennet was named third best, for you, his selection is suddenly justified and those who questioned the diligence of the process are deemed 'clueless' ...

Nath Marrone would have been playing years ago if we applied your logic! (And he lived in Benalla)

Jingoism = blind patriotism/nationalism. Surely it isn't too much of a stretch for you to see the abstract application of the term to describe your own attitude towards the players of Benalla football club within the microcosm that is Benalla, when compared to your attitudes towards those in the rest of the competition?

'Rockchester' ... that is comedy gold freak. Higher order thinking at its finest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking about him being one of your best players at end of 2015 freak, which is a rubbish comment because it certainly isn't true, are you sure you aren't getting Bennet, Warnock and Jake Pallpratt mixed up with best players off the footy field, those messages and photos at seasons end really do show what a great club it is and a great bunch of blokes play there. I think I could go on and on with picking Benalla flaws if you wanna start bagging "clubs". Rochy is one of the greatest clubs in the gv and thouroughly enjoy when Ky plays them, easy to get along with and I respect them greatly!

Last edited:
It will be a bit ironic for Rochester if GV are drawn to play Bendigo FL next year and GV gets done again; Rochy may need to switch back there to compete in a stronger comp;) In a few years time, where things are heading, the GV may be playing against the Kyabram DL; yes I perhaps started Sunday church froffs a tad too early.

While I am on the topic of Rochester and it's Mother's Day, some trivia for the Rochy folk and statistic lovers of our game. Today I am thinking of my late Gandmother Win Iddles who has the claim of being the first football statistician. She used to sit behind the goals for the Rochy Tigers when Billy McMahon coached. He had the idea of recording stats of the game and used to call them out from the forward line to my Grandma to record. When McMahon was appointed coach of Melbourne he further developed his stat information. Well done to all our mothers and grandmothers for supporting us in the game we love.

Anyone see the u18 match , I hear Josh Flight who got a clearance to Rochy in the last couple of weeks was named in the best.

What's his story roar? I recall reading about earlier this year and how he was in the Bushrangers squad .. determined to play AFL ... committed to his local team in the Picola footy league yaada yaada ...

And then cleared to Rochester via another District league. Can you add anything?

What's his story roar? I recall reading about earlier this year and how he was in the Bushrangers squad .. determined to play AFL ... committed to his local team in the Picola footy league yaada yaada ...

And then cleared to Rochester via another District league. Can you add anything?
Has all the ability under the sun , but I am not sure he has the dedication . Did little pre season which seen him allegedly record the worst ever recorded beep test within any TAC cup side .
Apparently trained little with his home club and when he did showed little intensity.
Think there was a disagreement about how he performed in round 1 and he put in a clearance to Walkool after the club had done alot for him including paying his bushranger membership and giving him fuel cards to help him get to bushy trainings.
Played 1 (?) game at Walkool and then moved to Rochy.
Had a fall out with another club early last year , moved clubs and then went on to have a great year.
Was surprised he was added to the GVFL squad after 1 under 18 game tbh .
190 plus cm , great kick , has plenty of aggression , is good below his knees.

Last edited:
Has all the ability under the sun , but I am not sure he has the dedication . Did little pre season which seen him allegedly record the worst ever recorded beep test within any TAC cup side.
Apparently trained little with his home club and when he did showed little intensity.
Played round 1 , looked dis interested and subsequently was benched .
Stormed off straight after the game and put in a clearance.
5th club in 2 years.
Should be being talked about as a top 5 draft prospect.

Thanks for the heads up roar. Sounds like he is problematic in relation to application and attitude. I had noticed had applied for a clearance to Rochester before the season started and was subsequently denied by his club.

Thought I read he was 198cm or something ...? That will keep clubs interested. Need to do some long distance investigation.

5 clubs in 2 years is hardly heartening.

Cheers Roar

Thanks for the heads up roar. Sounds like he is problematic in relation to application and attitude. I had noticed had applied for a clearance to Rochester before the season started and was subsequently denied by his club.

Thought I read he was 198cm or something ...? That will keep clubs interested. Need to do some long distance investigation.

5 clubs in 2 years is hardly heartening.

Cheers Roar
Believe his G/F plays at Rochy.
Wish clubs would stop drowling over these kids and giving them an easy out when they cop a little tough love. Teaches them bad habits at a young age.

Believe his G/F plays at Rochy.
Wish clubs would stop drowling over these kids and giving them an easy out when they cop a little tough love. Teaches them bad habits at a young age.

What happens after he has a fight with the GF I wonder? Sounds like the AFL recruiting folk are going to be asking some tough questions.

A keen sense of entitlement for todays youth. The tail wags the dog. Don't dare challenge the the youth of today as a coach otherwise I might see you at Centrelink
Even more fun taking on parents who nurture that special sense of entitlement. It's been going on for a few years. I hope Roar doesn't forget that there are quite few running around for big dollars in less challenging leagues because the "tough love" in stronger competitions was too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back