Chris Scotts coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Henderson has been outstanding.

True, forgot him.

I think Geelong falling off the cliff will happen in the next 2-3 years but really I see that as a natural stage of equalization. They've had pretty average draft picks for a while so it is natural they won't have the young talent coming through that some other clubs do, I am pretty disappointed in their 2nd tier players though. Guys like Blicavs and Motlop are meant to be B graders but are downhill skiing C grade players.

Same old, same old.
Apart from Daniel Menzel and Mitch Duncan, he has failed to get the very most out of 75-100 game players.
He can't keep riding Dangerfield and Selwood into the ground. Need more players to do what Mitch Duncan currently is, and help pick up the slack.
A handful of them are now worse off than what they were a couple of years ago.
Even players like Varcoe, Vardy, Kersten, who could only put together one solid performance per month, are now more rounded/consistent players under the guidance of new coaches and staff. It's not pure coincidence at all.

Buckley took over a grand finalist team and made it bottom 2 (at the end of round 8) in 6 years.

Scott won a premiership from a team that made prelims the year before. And just in & out of finals since then.

I think the impact of coaches is as overstated as hitouts. Some of it helps, a lot of it though depends on personnel.

A guy gets handed a premiership on a self coached basis. Then, as they are on the way down, a potential brownlow medallist picks them to go because the postcode is closer to his home. The team makes finals again...

This is certainly true. Coaching talent doesn't have near as much impact as the quality of players on a list.

Same old, same old.
Apart from Daniel Menzel and Mitch Duncan, he has failed to get the very most out of 75-100 game players.
He can't keep riding Dangerfield and Selwood into the ground. Need more players to do what Mitch Duncan currently is, and help pick up the slack.
A handful of them are now worse off than what they were a couple of years ago.
Even players like Varcoe, Vardy, Kersten, who could only put together one solid performance per month, are now more rounded/consistent players under the guidance of new coaches and staff. It's not pure coincidence at all.

Varcoe?
Lol.
Almost every (literally) statistical category has dropped since he went to Collingwood.
Touches, goals, contested possessions, frees for/against ratio, even his clanger rate has gotten worse at Collingwood. Goal kicking accuracy, handball to kick ratio, clearances - all worse at the Pies. And not just marginally in a lot of cases.
Vardy has played 8 matches for WC, in a totally different role. Oh, and he hasn't been injured yet.

Kersten is the only one who you could say at all is better now than at Geelong and again, it's been 8 matches

Having spoken to two players who are currently at Geelong: he is strongly respected amongst the playing group. Since I really have jack s**t idea of what goes on internally, I can imagine he's pretty good.

From my own personal ideological perspective: Geelong didn't bottom out properly and are consequently severely lacking good depth or young superstars compared to rivals. I've always believed the best teams are the ones with that 'plug and play' feel, where if a player gets injured, they have a player ready to just do their role in that exact position and most importantly adhere to the team structures (ie: structures > talent).

They have the obvious superstars in the team, but it feels like it all falls off a cliff after about their 10th or so best player. I think Geelong just need to look at developing their lesser skilled players so when Danger, Selwood or Hawkins go **** up you don't assume they're going to get smashed.

Varcoe?
Lol.
Almost every (literally) statistical category has dropped since he went to Collingwood.
Touches, goals, contested possessions, frees for/against ratio, even his clanger rate has gotten worse at Collingwood. Goal kicking accuracy, handball to kick ratio, clearances - all worse at the Pies. And not just marginally in a lot of cases.
Vardy has played 8 matches for WC, in a totally different role. Oh, and he hasn't been injured yet.

Kersten is the only one who you could say at all is better now than at Geelong and again, it's been 8 matches

Statistics are not always the best way to argue a point.
I am certain a great majority of Cats supporters would agree Varcoe is now a different player at Collingwood than the one we were watching running around in seasons 2013/2014. He's involved in games a lot more and his defensive pressure along with his run-and-carry has elevated.
Vardy was never rucking at Geelong was he?

Geelong under Scott definitely have a history of losing games they should be winning based on their best form.

Statistics are not always the best way to argue a point.
I am certain a great majority of Cats supporters would agree Varcoe is now a different player at Collingwood than the one we were watching running around in seasons 2013/2014. He's involved in games a lot more and his defensive pressure along with his run-and-carry has elevated.
Vardy was never rucking at Geelong was he?

There are no circumstances in which Varcoe is a better player now than he was at Geelong. I agree that stats are not always a great indicator of a player's value. But I can't find a solitary argument to mount that would support the theory that he is a better player now.

Vardy seems to be playing exclusively in the ruck compared to what he did with us.

Think he's a decent coach. Lead Geelong to a Premiership which while he had the players its still under his guidance.

Also agree with some of the calls about his cattle. He has kept Geelong up without a major rebuild but has benefited from Danger going over for way unders.

I think football is a simple game made complicated by the commentators and so called experts. You can look at most teams and judge by the list, injury situation etc and determine if a coach has done his job. I think Geelong are a good team but lack the depth that top teams like GWS and Bulldogs have and he is doing reasonable job.

Comes across as a great man manager and motivator, also an astute planner during the week but a bit tactically naive and stubborn on gameday. His decision to move on several senior players (chappy, sj, bartel, stokes etc) would've been tough but imo has proved the right call.
I think he's done remarkably well to keep the cats sniffing around the top 4 with some fairly average middle and lower tier players that inevitably get found out come september.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When his side got torched by the Swans at Skilled last year he rolled up to the cameras prior to the Prelim and said that his side would be ready for the Swans this time and that he had some things to counter them. He seemed quite adamant.

Then Geelong came out and proceeded to be beaten up once more by the Swans.

Getting caught out once by a side during the year can be overlooked to a point, but when you openly state that you've put a lot of work into the return match and then the team performs in such a poor manner in a cut-throat final the scrutiny should come pretty hard.

There's that and he has failed to put away some ordinary sides over the course of the last few years, which either means he's being out coached on the day, or he can't get the players to play consistently enough and keep their heads.

I can't see him getting the best out of the current list, and with Taylor, Lonergan and Mackie with one foot out the door I think they're going to need to regenerate in the next 2-3 years, which will ultimately mean Selwood will well and truly be on the decline or possibly retired by the time they contend again.

c3c322dd0a8c79b9a1c23255bd60b1f1_geelongs-2015-season-in-gifs-hawthorn-v-geelong-memes_495-275.gif

He's better than Brad.

images

I could have that win percentage too....if I inherited a ready made premiership team

He took over a team that had just been spanked in a prelim. It wasn't a ready made premiership team. Similar to Nathan Buckley who took over a team that had just been spanked in a granny.

Can't be doing a lot wrong. Has made finals every year since 2011 bar one year. That includes a premiership and two preliminary finals. Has rebuilt the list in 2016 taking them from outside the 8 to top 4.

I'd argue it's not so much Scott, but some of the players that need to have a good loom at themselves to whether they can go the next step. Lang, Murdoch, GHS, Bews, Motlop and Cockatoo are 6 blokes that might want to give another 10-20% every week and the pressure might be taken off Selwood and Dangerfield.

Dangerfield is obviously great, but the guy doesn't defend. When the momentum is going forward, he looks every dollar of his contract, I reckon he should be working harder defensively. Lonergan looks a bit out of sorts these days, why isn't Koladjashni playing?

Motlop, Menzel, Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs are 5 blokes that would be AA contenders if they put in another 10-20%.

Hawkins, Mackie, Selwood all get a tick. I reckon the rest of that list including Dangerfield could be owing the club a higher level of intensity. Let's not forget they were preliminary finalists last year, with the way the season is running thus far it'll come down to who wants it more based on 4 quarter effort, 1% contributions, defensive pressure, and a good contested game.

No way the Cats aren't a chance, it's not the coach, it's the list and it's effort based.

Scott got handed a premiership list on a platter and did enough to ensure they delivered .

Buckley got handed a premiership list on a platter and balsed it up.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

He's an average coach at a well resourced club, like Buckley or Hardwick. Their ambitions are greater than their skills.

Chris Scott has a far better win percentage than any other coach in the history of the game, but apparently he is a terrible coach.

Imagine how much better his win loss ratio would be if he was a good coach.
Has anybody ever inherited a higher quality, more established team?
The bloke reaped the rewards of Bomber Thompson's excellence in his early years, remains yet to be seen if he can replicate that same success by himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back